Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

Hey, that is a great looking tank!

I have had my DX12 for a while now.

The nanoMAG is awesome. You should get it. My bigger magnet kept bumping into my rocks and knocking things over.

Funny thing, my Hydor flow gets cleaned by the crabs every time it come unattached.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, that is a great looking tank!

I have had my DX12 for a while now.

The nanoMAG is awesome. You should get it. My bigger magnet kept bumping into my rocks and knocking things over.

Funny thing, my Hydor flow gets cleaned by the crabs every time it come unattached.

Hi, Anthony! I may just pick up a nano mag to have until the nimbles are in stock. In fact, I'll probably do that tomorrow. Do you have a tank thread for your NC12? If not, post a picture of it here, if you can. I'd love to see it.

Awesome news!!!!!! I got my Hydor Flo on!!!!!! I got online to see if there were any tips. Someone suggested taking the closest fitting attachment and heating it up to make it more flexible (blow dryer works well). That's what I did. With a little bit of muscle behind it...I was able to get it in. The flow is much more gentle now. That was my big accomplishment for the day :happy:

Well, I pulled the suspected nudi zoa frag out and dipped it and sure enough...2 nudies (and some pods) fell out. Yikes! I hope I got them all!!!!!! Sad for the pods though. The zoas look super happy now :D

I :wub: mushrooms! I think they are so under-rated. Mushrooms will be the focus of this tank. I just picked up a bunch of new varieties: ricordeas, rhodactis (amazing colors). When I get my new camera I'll post up some macro shots of everything. My current camera doesn't have that capability. Here's the latest FTS. I'm pretty much stocked and now just waiting for things to fill in.

3-11-11

3-11-11.jpg

lookin awesome man! check my tank out (link in the sig)

Yeah...that's what I'm talking about :D Super tank you have, I recognize it from YouTube!!!!!!! I'm looking forward to the very grown in look like yours! That's one of the best things about a small tank, it doesn't take many corals to have it look full. It just takes time and care :)

The mushrooms looks so brilliantly red and I love that you have rics - my fave! :wub:

Everything is looking so nice, gena!

Thanks, Rain!!!!!! Now I just need to sit back and watch it grow. Shouldn't be too hard ;)

squirrelieygrrrl

wow gena!

you sure all pulling this tank together quickly! its lookin great! love the newbies, and the baby clown. so cute. true perc?

lets hope the nudies made a one time appearance only. im in a holding pattern with my own nudies. im hoping i can get the cad set up soon so i can break down the 16 and do a major dipping session while i transfer and nip that prob in the bud.

i hate my nano mag too, chap pos. i have mine all wrapped up with a micro fiber cloth since it all came apart.

wow gena!

you sure all pulling this tank together quickly! its lookin great! love the newbies, and the baby clown. so cute. true perc?

lets hope the nudies made a one time appearance only. im in a holding pattern with my own nudies. im hoping i can get the cad set up soon so i can break down the 16 and do a major dipping session while i transfer and nip that prob in the bud.

i hate my nano mag too, chap pos. i have mine all wrapped up with a micro fiber cloth since it all came apart.

Thanks, squirrel! I knew what I wanted and didn't waste time getting it :) It's pretty much done except for a possible open brain or LT plate. Haven't decided on that yet. I might add some anthelia too. I want it to be jam packed.

He's a juvenile b/w ocellaris., at least that's what I bought him as. I'll look forward to seeing the color change. I'm thinking of skipping the goby/shrimp pair and getting a mate for this guy. If I do it will be a regular old ocellaris clownfish. I think the combo. of a b/w and o/w will look nice. I'm still getting the Tailspot blenny though. That plan has definitely not changed.

I ditched the mag float and bought a nano-mag. So much better! I'm still going to get the nimble when that comes back out again too.

Made a big purchase today for this tank. Got myself a reefkeeper lite. I had one before and it is a very nice piece of equipment to have. Stupid me sold the 2 I had when I "got out of the hobby" 6 months ago :rolleyes:

peek-a-boo! New peppermint shrimp added this past Friday. I got him to take care of some aptasia that came in with new coral.

shrimp-1.jpg

shrimp2-1.jpg

Nice tank. Be sure to watch for eggs from the nudis on the zoas (not that you probably didn't know that). I had a tailspot blenny in my old tank and really enjoyed him.

Nice tank. Be sure to watch for eggs from the nudis on the zoas (not that you probably didn't know that). I had a tailspot blenny in my old tank and really enjoyed him.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the zoas. Not sure I know what to look for as far as eggs, but I do know what the adults look like :)

Tailspot blennys are the best :wub: So much personality and so cute! The tank I took down recently had one in it. I sold some liverock to someone who ended up with a nice surprise..my TSB!!!!! Nice hitchhiker, I'd say :)

The eggs look like a small white spiral on the sides of the polyps and sometimes on the rocks.

I'll keep an eye out for that, thanks! Might be hard to see on the rock, since it's still so white. But I'll definitely notice it on the zoas.

I added a couple more things to the tank. Some superman rhodactis mushrooms, a pink cabbage leather, and a big zoa rock. And here I thought I was done :rolleyes:

Squirt, my b/w clownfish's color is really starting to change. He's getting darker and his color much more rich. Here he is as well as a FTS taken today. The devils hand leather is shedding right now and looks terrible. Hopefully that will be bigger and better in a day or two.

Squirt

clown.jpg

FTS 3-16-11

3-16-11.jpg

looks great. i wish my frogspawn looked that good. ;)

Thanks! The frogspawn has really opened up now. I had to pull it out today to scrub the algae that hitched in on the frag plug it's attached to. I guess that wasn't too traumatic for it since it opened up fully again afterwards :)

Beautiful tank! How do you keep it so clean? :huh:

Thank you!!!! It's a new tank, just over a month old. Plus I started with dry rock (marco) which I think makes a HUGE difference! No bad algae hitchhikers. I also have chaeto growing in one of the back chambers to take up excess nutrients. So far so good fingerscrossed

Thank you!!!! It's a new tank, just over a month old. Plus I started with dry rock (marco) which I think makes a HUGE difference! No bad algae hitchhikers. I also have chaeto growing in one of the back chambers to take up excess nutrients. So far so good fingerscrossed

Your welcome! My tank is about to turn 2 months old and has been having alot of cyano algae and diatom issues, though I started with live rock. Nomatter how much I clean it the algae comes right back... -_- I think that I'll try some chaeto, do you use a light over your backchamber or does it grow fine without one?

Your welcome! My tank is about to turn 2 months old and has been having alot of cyano algae and diatom issues, though I started with live rock. Nomatter how much I clean it the algae comes right back... -_- I think that I'll try some chaeto, do you use a light over your backchamber or does it grow fine without one?

I checked out your tank and posted there! I have the nano-glo LED fixture. It hangs on by magnet. It does an excellent job....really makes the chaeto grow!

How's that toadstool doing? I also request that you move everything off your first post (except the newest pic) to your 2nd post because it's super long to scroll past on every page :P

How's that toadstool doing? I also request that you move everything off your first post (except the newest pic) to your 2nd post because it's super long to scroll past on every page :P

Good suggestion...I'll fix that!

It's coloring up! It's turning a light brown with light green polyps/tenticles. I think it's going to make it :)

Archived