Innovative Marine Aquariums

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

surgicalsense
Yes...I thought about that right after I posted that. You'll find out when you come home ;) First day this year I turned the A/C on!

Oh yeah... now L is talking about road trip :rolleyes:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn! I have it on nearly all year long!

Man it's getting nasty out, thunder lightning etc, please no power outages! :mellow:

Have fun at the beach ladies! ;)

Love, love, love your frag tank :happy: very sleek looking too.

Thank you :) You're welcome to visit it anytime :happy:

Randi....I'm so jealous of your thunderstorm. I miss thunderstorms!!!!!!

Thank you :) You're welcome to visit it anytime :happy:

Randi....I'm so jealous of your thunderstorm. I miss thunderstorms!!!!!!

It was a good one! With the crazy spider lighting all over the sky. :D But I always worry about outages now, I have Battery backups but I have them on hold until the stand is done.

The last 2 days have been good days to be a duck. :lol:

I have new Pacific ocean pictures for Mark!!!!! My husband had an audition to go to in Marina Del Rey so my son and I decided to tag along. We left 90 degree weather for nature's A/C. It was so refreshing...even if it was overcast!!!!! No bikini pics this time (*whispers* "ever" ;)) :lol:

Venice beach was right down the road so we decided to check it out. Almost 9 years of living out here and we'd never actually been there :lol:

We walked the pier. Looked incredulously at the people actually swimming in the 65 degree water with the air temperature at 65 as well. Those are die-hards :)

Enjoyed watching the surfers. Saw some guys catching fish (my son enjoyed that!!!!).

The pier. There were a ton of sailboats out. I took this one cuz the sun was actually peaking through where the sailboats were sitting.

venice3.jpg

venice2.jpg

venice5.jpg

My son watching some guys fish

venice4.jpg

Me and my man. The guy who builds my fish tank stands, wires my lighting and fans, etc. My reef trouble-shooting hero :)

venice.jpg

And I'll end with fishtank stuff. I just snapped this one since the light is still on. I pruned the moss yesterday to give some to Danielle. My fish are happy to have more swimming room again :)

fwfish.jpg

What is the setup like on your FW? Substrate? Plants? Lighting? I really want to fix up the lids GloFish tank into something nicer!

Have you found more baby shrimpies?!

I have so many baby shrimp!!!!! I think the most I've counted at any given time is 10 but I'm sure there is more than that. They are varying sizes too. I can't believe how quickly they have grown. I had to be so careful trimming the moss. Actually, I probably don't need to be as careful as I think I need to be. They are excellent jumpers and get away from any harm very easily. Here's a picture I took this morning. I can count 8 in this photo (not including big mama).

babyshrimp.jpg

What is the setup like on your FW? Substrate? Plants? Lighting? I really want to fix up the lids GloFish tank into something nicer!

I have 6 different types of plants in there. I can't remember all the names though! I have dwarf anubias, christmas moss, crypt parva, moneywort, moss ball...I guess I just can't remember the name of the one last plant. The substrate is not a typical gravel. I bought it by recommendation of my LFS. I can't remember what it's called. I'll have to look it up and let you know. The light is a clip-on LED fixture. I tried to find it online with no luck. I have no idea what the brand name is. It just says HC Robot LED. I couldn't even tell you the wattage of the light but it grows my plants wonderfully. This tank is great if you are looking for low maintenance. It basically runs itself. I just top-off and do a monthy trimming, floss exchange, and small water change.

That sounds perfect! We have four GloFish and I'm sick to death of scrubbing gravel and neon plastic plants! I bet they'll look just as nice in a planted tank! Can I buy some of your clippings next time around?

Seen me? :o Is there pictures floating around the internet of me?

... what kind of wetsuit should I be in? I wear a kinda sparkly sky blue short suit by Roxy.

I mean I've seen pics of you here on NR. Ok, I'll take a pic of you in that with the front sipper pulled down to wherever you think best.

Gena, thanks for the pics! Venice Beach, more wierdos per square foot than Hollywood Blvd, lol.

So I guess we'll all have to wait for much warmwer beach weather for the kini shot. :)

surgicalsense
I mean I've seen pics of you here on NR. Ok, I'll take a pic of you in that with the front sipper pulled down to wherever you think best.

So I guess we'll all have to wait for much warmwer beach weather for the kini shot. :)

I was kidding ;)

Marine layer all weekend and into the week, even inland into the valley.

That sounds perfect! We have four GloFish and I'm sick to death of scrubbing gravel and neon plastic plants! I bet they'll look just as nice in a planted tank! Can I buy some of your clippings next time around?

Oh...they will look so much better with the real thing!!!!!! And I've found a planted tank to be incredibly easy to maintain. I never knew it could be this easy :lol:

I will glady send you some clippings. I think it would be better to try to find it locally though. It's very inexpensive. I wouldn't charge you for the clippings, but the shipping cost would probably be more than the cost for you to buy it locally! Not to mention you'd get a bigger amount from your LFS. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll definitely send it to you. Let me know what they are charging as well. If it's cheaper for me to ship it to you, we should do that :)

Hey! I finally had some time to catch up. :) tank is looking great and your new additions are wonderful too. :)

Thanks, Joel!!!!! Glad to see you are still checking in :)

Looks like a fun day!

Love all the baby shrimpies! SO cute! :happy:

It was fun :) The baby shrimpies are busy, busy, busy, all day long...picking whatever it is they eat off of the moss. They are adorable!!!!

Gena, thanks for the pics! Venice Beach, more wierdos per square foot than Hollywood Blvd, lol.

We didn't see any weirdos...imagine that!!!!!! Maybe we weren't in the right area. We didn't walk the entire boardwalk. Plus the weather was a little crummy...overcast and cool.

I was kidding ;)

Marine layer all weekend and into the week, even inland into the valley.

I'm enjoying this marine layer and drizzle. It's nice sometimes!!!!

surgicalsense

It is nice ... we are having the, Missing Cali Blues now :(

... we did random things this weekend. It was like, lets do this now before we move. We are thinking about planning a LA Zoo trip.

It is nice ... we are having the, Missing Cali Blues now :(

... we did random things this weekend. It was like, lets do this now before we move. We are thinking about planning a LA Zoo trip.

I can get you in for free ;) If you want us tagging along! The reptile exhibit is now open and my son is dying to see it.

surgicalsense
I can get you in for free ;) If you want us tagging along! The reptile exhibit is now open and my son is dying to see it.

Absolutely ... it would be a blast!

... we are also planning a Malibu State park walk about soon too. It is like a 3 mile hike to the location they filmed M.A.S.H :P

Absolutely ... it would be a blast!

... we are also planning a Malibu State park walk about soon too. It is like a 3 mile hike to the location they filmed M.A.S.H :P

Oh...that sounds fun!!!!!

surgicalsense
Oh...that sounds fun!!!!!

So run it by D and I will talk to L this evening or mid week. We are planning something this weekend when I get Ty. So I will keep you posted.

... I am now beginning to feel the count-down pressure :unsure:

I will. I bet you're feeling pressure. Time is going so fast. I can't believe summer break will be here in like 5 weeks!!!!!!! omgomgomg

surgicalsense
I will. I bet you're feeling pressure. Time is going so fast. I can't believe summer break will be here in like 5 weeks!!!!!!! omgomgomg

I know!!!! I need to get a move on with stuff. I have really stalled out :o

The LA Zoo has a new reptile house??? How cool. I'm not sure, but I think we have a lifetime membership there. We often took the kids to the private exhibitions there.

The LA Zoo has a new reptile house??? How cool. I'm not sure, but I think we have a lifetime membership there. We often took the kids to the private exhibitions there.

Now how did you get that???? Did you give a giant donation or something????

They do have a brand new reptile house. It's located right by the alligators, if you remember where that is. It's comparatively huge. They had to remove the old one for the new Elephant exhibit.

Archived