Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

surgicalsense
Yea its for winning national bull of the month may 11. 12 from east business unit and 12 from westbu go to Santa Monica to meet president of company sky dive got Vegas and hang out and do whatever lol

Sweet! What hotel are you being put in?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet! What hotel are you being put in?

nice when i go to vegas i stay at the mini crib - aka mybosses crib.. thing is huge haha but its good and enjoyable - Oh boy i didnt realize how much food i just put in the tank - at least my fish will be happy and they wont be fed for a week... they best recognize this and plump right up

Arrested Development is one of our all time favorite shows!!!! I keep hearing teasers about it coming back on the air too!!!!

Never heard of Archer. It's definitely something I'll look into. We actually don't watch a whole lot of TV at our house. Around 8:30 we usually sit down and watch as a family. Lately it's either America's Funniest Home Videos or Quantum Leap :) When the Quantum Leap series is done we'll be on the hunt for a new family friendly show to watch. Merlin sounds interesting. My son is really into medieval times. Is that family friendly?

Archer = James Bond + a whole lot of wrongness ... actually some of the voices and writers are from Arrested Development.

Speaking of Arrested Development ... Netflix will be having a series of episodes, preceding the movie. I'm not sure of the timetable yet.

Archer = James Bond + a whole lot of wrongness ... actually some of the voices and writers are from Arrested Development.

Speaking of Arrested Development ... Netflix will be having a series of episodes, preceding the movie. I'm not sure of the timetable yet.

Which network is Archer on? Or is it a done series and now just on Netflix? Either way, I'm definitely going to check it out!!!!! sounds great!

Just got back from my typical Thursday trip to the LFS. Looks like I'm going LED on my FW planted tank!!!! I definitely need more light. He's going to pick up a light for me this weekend and I'll have it early next week fingerscrossed

I also went for scissors because my planted tank is going crazy! Ever since I added the fish it's really taken off. I kind of want to let it go, but I think aesthetically it needs trimming. My cory gets caught in the moss sometimes too. He always manages to get himself out though :happy:

I was so tempted to buy the cute tiny little purple firefish they had in stock. But....I promised my husband I wouldn't replace the one I lost. I really don't want to add more to the bioload either. But it was so adorable. If anyone is looking for a nice purple firefish (small) Scales n Tails in Burbank has a couple of them. I think he's only asking like $12 each. Not positive about that though. But his prices are always extremely reasonable. I LOVE that shop!

Yes...it died on me. I'm pretty sure it was old...unless low alk affects fish too?

I use Brightwell Neo-marine.

In other news...my clownfish is showing interest in the open brain coral. I don't know if I should be happy or worried :lol:

clownhost.jpg

How long do you think it will take for my zoas/palys to perk up again now that I know what the problem is?

Yay! Hosting behavior!

As to how the brain will feel about it... fingerscrossed

I know!!!!!

My clownfish has black eyes. He needs some white in his eyes :lol:

What was your all levels before?

The last time I check...maybe 2 months ago...everything was in the normal range. Recently I've been adding more magnesium. I'd say the palys have been mad for about 3 weeks which coincides with my upping the mag dosing.

Ok..just tested an hour after dosing. I hope I didn't mess up too badly.

Alk was 6.3...it is now 7.7

Calcium was 400...it is now 460.

I followed the directions on the bottle. Am I ok or was that too fast? I'm going to mix my saltwater tonight just in case. Danielle...I can go through the pretend motions for you tomorrow ;)

yes thats fine gena...dont waste a test, but it will probably level out around 445-450ppm calc and 7.3dkh by the morning once the interactions with all 3 (calc/alk/mag) have completed

surgicalsense

:lol: Pretend motions .... sorry was really busy. No worries.

I still haven't tested my water from my last water change on Sunday ;) ... but these microbubbles are an eye soar again.

yes thats fine gena...dont waste a test, but it will probably level out around 445-450ppm calc and 7.3dkh by the morning once the interactions with all 3 (calc/alk/mag) have completed

Excellent! Thank you so much for all the help. I should have tested sooner. I knew the palys and zoas were mad and I knew Alk is usually the reason why *slaps own head*.

:lol: Pretend motions .... sorry was really busy. No worries.

I still haven't tested my water from my last water change on Sunday ;) ... but these microbubbles are an eye soar again.

I'm done dosing mg. Strictly water changes for me now.

surgicalsense

I will take my notes tomorrow. Which is best.

Q: Because you mix your own water, do you have to change it more often or this is your scheduled routine due to your choice of filtration set up?

just know what your dosing vs blind eyeing it and youll be all good ;)

Will do, sir :)

I will take my notes tomorrow. Which is best.

Q: Because you mix your own water, do you have to change it more often or this is your scheduled routine due to your choice of filtration set up?

I change twice a week do to my algae issues. It's basically what I think is best for my tank. I wonder why my nitrates are sitting at 5?????? Maybe algae die-off?????

surgicalsense

Gena... would you like a pineapple sponge?

Will do, sir :)

I change twice a week do to my algae issues. It's basically what I think is best for my tank. I wonder why my nitrates are sitting at 5?????? Maybe algae die-off?????

It better be because of the die-off! ... that is the positive we want to see. All that cyno I had is going away slowly on those two specific LR because of the new lights, to bright for it. The lower light was enabling it to thrive.

Has your algae been receeding? If so and your still feeding. More then likely yes the grates are from algae die off. However. That may be the natural level of your tank and its filtration capacities.. which is fine. Remember you aren't dropping other elements in such as silicates and that 10ppm of nitrates every water change now so you aren't promoting algae growth..

No haha eastern seaboarders

Puddle jumpers to Europe. Atlantic Ocean = The Pond.

Yea its for winning national bull of the month may 11. 12 from east business unit and 12 from westbu go to Santa Monica to meet president of company sky dive got Vegas and hang out and do whatever lol

Sweet. I love me some Red Bull. Congrats.

Arrested Development is one of our all time favorite shows!!!! I keep hearing teasers about it coming back on the air too!!!!

Never heard of Archer. It's definitely something I'll look into. We actually don't watch a whole lot of TV at our house. Around 8:30 we usually sit down and watch as a family. Lately it's either America's Funniest Home Videos or Quantum Leap :) When the Quantum Leap series is done we'll be on the hunt for a new family friendly show to watch. Merlin sounds interesting. My son is really into medieval times. Is that family friendly?

We do the same thing. In fact, the new rule is kids' tv watching only happens after 7:00 and with the family. We often get into the reality food shows like Chopped -- of course, you run the danger of turning your kids into mouthy gourmets! My son regularly takes apart the food on everything from flavor and texture to plating. It's hilarious to hear him say "Wow, Dad, really nice presentation on that plate!". We also watch a lot of science-y and history type shows like Mythbusters, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, and American Restoration. Generally, these are very kid-safe, educational, fun, and avoid the constant innuendo or blatant sex talk in most of the sitcoms we watch (2 Broke Girls and Whitney are new ones that totally crack me up!). We did AFV for a while -- and Wipeout or Ninja Warrior, too. Those are really fun. When "Who do you think you are" is on (as it is now), we often watch that together. It's such an interesting show, and since my husband is Jewish and his family has been very nearly secretive about their history, he's really into figuring out where his relatives come from. I know on my mother's side about 6 generations back, so don't feel compelled to go onto Ancestry.com, but he's really into it.

Archived