3 month old bc 29, comments please!

Dolphins18

post-62049-1298425785.jpgpost-62049-1298425813_thumb.jpgpost-62049-1298425831_thumb.jpg bc 29 is about 3 months old. i have a 150w mh over it. i use chemi pure purigen and filter floss in the back. return pump and a koralia for circulation. i have a big cuc. and a few corals let me know what you think. im only 15 and its my first reef so all comments are great on what i need to do or buy next. i got that mushroom for 35 and i think that is a pretty good deal. i know you dont think i should have a anemone after 3 months but i have had him for 2 months and he is doing pretty good i think.

pics were taken with a nikon D90.

Looks good. Move that temp probe into one of the back chambers. Diatoms should clear up with time. Lots of softies in there. I like it!

thanks i keep it at about 79 in there is that good for temp?

altolamprologus

wow it looks great for that young. as for the price of the mushroom, look around before you buy, because my LFS sells mushrooms for $6. softies are really easy to propogate so they are generally really cheap if you know where to look. you can also haggle in some stores, especially if you're buying multiple corals at a time

altolamprologus
ok thanks! i think i might strart buying online because there is no more fish stores near me since the one i went to closed last week.

you should also look around for places within an hour's driving distance (if your parents are willing) i have found that some places offer good deals if they know you drove that far just to go to their store

and btw, i really like the way your LR is arranged :D

thanks, ill probably travel far when i get a lot of money lol. should i put chaeto in the back? if so what is a good light for it?

altolamprologus
thanks, ill probably travel far when i get a lot of money lol. should i put chaeto in the back? if so what is a good light for it?

i personally have never used chaeto and i honestly know nothing about it. i have LR rubble in the second chamber and do weekly 10-15% water changes and have never had any problem with nitrate/nitrite/ammonia. as long as you keep up on water changes you don't need anything fancy

i personally have never used chaeto and i honestly know nothing about it. i have LR rubble in the second chamber and do weekly 10-15% water changes and have never had any problem with nitrate/nitrite/ammonia. as long as you keep up on water changes you don't need anything fancy

ok well ill go with live rock rubble then were can i get some from?

altolamprologus
ok well ill go with live rock rubble then were can i get some from?

anywhere that sells LR will have rubble (its just small pieces that break off) and they usually sell it cheap because it doesn't sell as well as bigger pieces

anywhere that sells LR will have rubble (its just small pieces that break off) and they usually sell it cheap because it doesn't sell as well as bigger pieces

alright thanks for all the help! i am loving reef keeping but i dont know what to do nextt. any suggestions on corals or inverts or fish?

altolamprologus
alright thanks for all the help! i am loving reef keeping but i dont know what to do nextt. any suggestions on corals or inverts or fish?

what do you have now? i saw the clown and firefish..anything else in there?

altolamprologus

do you have any hermit crabs or snails? a couple of each would make a good clean-up crew. and don't get blue leg hermits, get red legs. blue legs have been known to kill snails for their shells. i've only had my SW tank for a few months so i don't know of too many smaller fish, but i know of some great inverts. scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp are cool looking and have great personalities (mine eat from my hands). also if you have 2 in the same tank they will constantly breed. you won't get any babies because the larval stage is extremely long, but the baby shrimplets make great coral food :) sexy shrimp are also really cool, but they're small and will hide is not kept in groups. and they are pretty expensive for a short lifespan. what kinds of corals do you like?

do you have any hermit crabs or snails? a couple of each would make a good clean-up crew. and don't get blue leg hermits, get red legs. blue legs have been known to kill snails for their shells. i've only had my SW tank for a few months so i don't know of too many smaller fish, but i know of some great inverts. scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp are cool looking and have great personalities (mine eat from my hands). also if you have 2 in the same tank they will constantly breed. you won't get any babies because the larval stage is extremely long, but the baby shrimplets make great coral food :) sexy shrimp are also really cool, but they're small and will hide is not kept in groups. and they are pretty expensive for a short lifespan. what kinds of corals do you like?

thanks and i have a like 7 crabs and 15 snails.

+1 about the hermits, when I first started my sw tank, I kept wondering why my snails kept dieing, I only found out when I caught a hermit in the act. However, some people say if you provide enough shells for the hermits, this won't happen.

Cleaner shrimp are cool, but can get really annoying when you're trying to feed your coral, they'll dig the food out of the coral's mouth and can damage the coral

altolamprologus
+1 about the hermits, when I first started my sw tank, I kept wondering why my snails kept dieing, I only found out when I caught a hermit in the act. However, some people say if you provide enough shells for the hermits, this won't happen.

Cleaner shrimp are cool, but can get really annoying when you're trying to feed your coral, they'll dig the food out of the coral's mouth and can damage the coral

jeez christina, you invade everything i post in :P my cleaners dont bother anything i feed, even the anemones which take a while to eat, but others may be more agressive eaters. i have like 5 different sized empty shells for my 4 hermits and something (i suspect the blue leg) killed a snail. he probably just killed it for fun

thanks and i have a like 7 crabs and 15 snails.

how big are the snails? that sounds like too many for that sized tank

oh and christina, i found out sexies only live for about a year. i think thats the wild lifespan so they may live longer in captivity

Captivity usually shortens an animals lifespan. Also, 79 degrees is fine and some reefers suggest 80-82 degrees for corals but inverts and fish may be prone to diseases in higher temps. 77-79 is where I stay. The most important thing is temp stability. You don't want more than a degree or two in your temp swing from day to night or w/e. Large swings in temps are killers.

Archived