Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what up people

altolamprologus

altolamprologus

"Hi, I'm new and I came up with a screen name that is the genus name of a species of cichild, because this is totally not a sw forum" -anonymous

yep, i'm new to this website, and to reefing, but not to the fish world. I have had FW fish since i was 5 and was breeding fish at 8 cuz i'm just that awesome. ok well, they were guppies so it wasn't really that awesome, but you get the point. I have a 29 gallon biocube reef, 55 gallon rift lake cichlid setup (and they're spawning :D ), two 20 gallon community w/ spawning corys and wrestling halfbeaks, 10 gallon w/ axolotls, and a halfmoon dragon betta...among others. my reef is really young, but i will post pics as soon as i get a good enough camera...so probably this weekend. anyone know good fish for a small reef?

oh and before you start #####ing, i realize this is in the macro-algae forum...

oh hey look it edits swear words..that's a nifty program

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gobies, blennies, Clowns, Wrasses, they are all good small beginner fish for reefs.

AM beat you to it :P

Not all fish in the categories you listed are easy and small and for reefs. For example, A. chrysopterus are difficult even for experts. Sixline Wrasses are aggressive to other small fish in some cases, which I have even experienced my self. I believe you were even told that a certain blenny is unsafe for reefs, do you recall which one?

Some good beginner fish for a small reef in a few of the categories MD listed might be Pearly jawfish (if you can meet their living requirements), and Ocellaris clowns. :)

i love midas blennies but they look like they're too big for a 29 gallon

Those can get up to 6", so they'll be too big for a 29 gallon. You might want to try a Bicolor blennie. Those only get up to 4", so one should be fine in a 29 gallon.

altolamprologus
Those can get up to 6", so they'll be too big for a 29 gallon. You might want to try a Bicolor blennie. Those only get up to 4", so one should be fine in a 29 gallon.

thanks, and are there any gobies that stay really small, preferably under 3 inches?

The Yasha, Hi-Fin, Orange Spotted, thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Euphyllia, yes the Midas won't work but there are others that will. Sorry for the miss interpretation. BTW, love the sig. :P

thanks, and are there any gobies that stay really small, preferably under 3 inches?

Yes, many gobies stay under 3". Check these out. You might be able to find one you like. If you want something pretty and extremely fun to watch, get a Jawfish. There are a couple different types, my favorite being the Blue Spot Jawfish, however the Blue Spot Jawfish are susceptible to diseases and like cooler water conditions. I would highly recommend getting a Pearly Jawfish because they are pretty, inexpensive, and they can live in typical reef conditions. If you want a Jawfish, you need to have at least 3" of sand because they like to dig holes. They spit sand and they're very fun to watch! :)

The Yasha, Hi-Fin, Orange Spotted, thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Euphyllia, yes the Midas won't work but there are others that will. Sorry for the miss interpretation. BTW, love the sig. :P

Those are some great ones for beginners. My favorite of those is the Yasha. :happy:

The ones I listed were shrimp Gobies. What type were you looking for?

altolamprologus

thanks everyone, i'll keep all this in mind next time i go fish shopping (my tank is currently fish-free to get rid of any remaining crypto)

i love midas blennies but they look like they're too big for a 29 gallon

I have one in my 29g...not full grown yet but he's pretty peaceful. Hope I don't have to give him away.

YES! You used my quote :D

I'm going to post picture suggestions cause it's better than words

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...amp;ddid=112613

0222111-005.jpg

I really want one of these, a bit expensive though

BlackPerculaWMC_U28.jpg

Black & White clowns, a pair might be more expensive though

p-90164-clown-yellow-goby.jpg

You've seen my YCG, they have great personalities

p-71432-Opistognathus-auri.jpg

Pearl Jawfish(nvm, would eat sexies)

p-39371-yellow-watchman.jpg

Yellow Watchmen Goby

p-71471-orangestripe-goby.jpg

Randall's Goby

p-90101-cardinalfish.jpg

Blue Eye Cardinal

p-71133-firefish.jpg

Firefish (cheap too)

p-80275-neon-blue-goby.jpg

A Pair of Neon Gobies (but I've never seen any at the wholesaler so idk if we could get any :/)

p-66102-Coral-Beauty.jpg

Coral Beauty, however a potential coral nipper

p-71718-canary-blenny.jpg

Canary Blenny, cute but they have a venomous bite. We saw a nice one at Steinhart yesterday

p-77880-kaudern-cardinal.jpg

Bangaii Cardinal, can eat smaller shrimp(nvm, would eat your sexies)

p-70119-chromis.jpg

I've always liked these guys, but they might get too big :/

p-90004-pseudochromis.jpg

Sunrise Dotty

p-72394-pseudochromis.jpg

Purple Stripe Dotty (both these dottybacks can be aggressive)

p-90066-Yashia-Goby.jpg

Yasha Goby, cute, but shy

p-70938-hi-fin-red-goby.jpg

Hi Fin Goby

p-80288-pinkbar-goby.jpg

Pink Bar Goby

p-80422-goby.jpg

Tangaroa Goby

Most of these gobies can be paired with pistol shrimp too, but idk if your mom would get annoyed at the snapping

I would post some hawkfish but I just remembered you have the sexies :(

Anyways, I don't really like wrasses, but most people do so look through here, see if you like anything

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquariu...s.cfm?c=15+1378

Pistols don't really snap that often, actually very little. My tiger averages about...hmmm.....maybe 7 snaps a day? Including night. Depending on where the tank is in your house, some snaps you can't hear.

I'm sure AM can think of some more exotic goby suggestions, I bet if you put "what goby should I get" or something similar he'll come running :lol:

Pistols don't really snap that often, actually very little. My tiger averages about...hmmm.....maybe 7 snaps a day? Including night. Depending on where the tank is in your house, some snaps you can't hear.

I had some HH pistols, they snapped all the time..I guess it just depends

I'm sure AM can think of some more exotic goby suggestions, I bet if you put "what goby should I get" or something similar he'll come running :lol:

I had some HH pistols, they snapped all the time..I guess it just depends

^^^^thiss

He put together a potential stock list for a 92 predator in like 2 min.

altolamprologus

i'm actually realy starting to hate my sexies...they constantly crawl around on my hammer and it's starting to not come out all the way..anyway i'm getting bangaii cardinals and noone can stop me. i had them before when i had 1 sexy in the tank and it was never eaten. i like the yasha goby but how big does it get? and would it eat pods? i don't want it taking away mandarin food, even if she is gonna be trained i still want pods as a snack. and i like the sunrise dotty, but how big does it get?

^^^^thiss

He put together a potential stock list for a 92 predator in like 2 min.

Lol yep that's AM for ya

i'm actually realy starting to hate my sexies...they constantly crawl around on my hammer and it's starting to not come out all the way..anyway i'm getting bangaii cardinals and noone can stop me. i had them before when i had 1 sexy in the tank and it was never eaten. i like the yasha goby but how big does it get? and would it eat pods? i don't want it taking away mandarin food, even if she is gonna be trained i still want pods as a snack. and i like the sunrise dotty, but how big does it get?

Give to me! Like seriously, they would love my pico :D I'll give you some macro algae if you give me your sexies :)

I would say also get some store credit, but sexies are pretty cheap and you won't get much for them

Looks like the best option here is to give them to me :lol:

Yasha gets 2.5" I think, not too big

Sunrise gets 3"

Well they would all snack on pods, but if you have a trained mandarin it should be a problem. Although, you might have trouble getting it food. And the yasha & mandarin both like the same "space" (in/around the rocks)

altolamprologus
Lol yep that's AM for ya

Give to me! Like seriously, they would love my pico :D I'll give you some macro algae if you give me your sexies :)

I would say also get some store credit, but sexies are pretty cheap and you won't get much for them

Looks like the best option here is to give them to me :lol:

Yasha gets 2.5" I think, not too big

Sunrise gets 3"

Well they would all snack on pods, but if you have a trained mandarin it should be a problem. Although, you might have trouble getting it food. And the yasha & mandarin both like the same "space" (in/around the rocks)

ok so maybe not the yasha, but the sunrise sounds good. i'm going to get the mandarin first though just in case training takes a long time, it will have plenty of pods to eat. and if the sexies keep bothering the hammer i will trade for macro (or your mandarin :D )

p-90160-Banded-Possum-Wras.jpg

Possum wrasse is def the way to go.

looks cool, but is it small and reef/invert safe?

Yes it is.

QUICK STATS

Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons

Care Level: Easy

Temperament: Peaceful

Reef Compatible: Yes

Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025

Max. Size: 3"

Color Form: Orange, Red, Yellow

Diet: Carnivore

Family: Labridae

What do these Quick Stats mean? Click here

overview

The Banded Possum Wrasse is also known as the Pygmy Possum Wrasse or Arrowhead Wrasse, and it originates from the waters of Indonesia. The Banded Possum Wrasse has an arrowhead like shape and is mostly red/orange in color with yellow vertical stripes when in its juvenile coloration. As the fish matures the fish will darken to a deep rustish coloration. The male and female of this species are very similarly colored, but when courting, the male will display increased color intensity. Colors may vary depending on the fish's mood.

The Banded Possum Wrasse is a very peaceful, active fish that will bring both color and activity to a fish-only or reef aquarium of 10 gallons or larger. They will not bother any corals or invertebrates making them a perfect fish for the reef aquarium. A single male can be kept with a group of females that is introduced prior to or at the same time as the male. These wrasses like to jump, so a tight fitting canopy is recommended.

The Banded Possum Wrasse diet should include vitamin enriched frozen mysis shrimp, vitamin enriched frozen brine shrimp, and other meaty foods along with a high quality marine flake and marine pellet food.

Approximate Purchase Size: 3/4" to 2"

altolamprologus
Yes it is.

QUICK STATS

Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons

Care Level: Easy

Temperament: Peaceful

Reef Compatible: Yes

Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025

Max. Size: 3"

Color Form: Orange, Red, Yellow

Diet: Carnivore

Family: Labridae

What do these Quick Stats mean? Click here

overview

The Banded Possum Wrasse is also known as the Pygmy Possum Wrasse or Arrowhead Wrasse, and it originates from the waters of Indonesia. The Banded Possum Wrasse has an arrowhead like shape and is mostly red/orange in color with yellow vertical stripes when in its juvenile coloration. As the fish matures the fish will darken to a deep rustish coloration. The male and female of this species are very similarly colored, but when courting, the male will display increased color intensity. Colors may vary depending on the fish's mood.

The Banded Possum Wrasse is a very peaceful, active fish that will bring both color and activity to a fish-only or reef aquarium of 10 gallons or larger. They will not bother any corals or invertebrates making them a perfect fish for the reef aquarium. A single male can be kept with a group of females that is introduced prior to or at the same time as the male. These wrasses like to jump, so a tight fitting canopy is recommended.

The Banded Possum Wrasse diet should include vitamin enriched frozen mysis shrimp, vitamin enriched frozen brine shrimp, and other meaty foods along with a high quality marine flake and marine pellet food.

Approximate Purchase Size: 3/4" to 2"

it does look really cool but i don't think i would have room for another 3 in fish. i'll probably get one for my next tank though

Archived