Coral Vue Hydros

Putting a hit out for my "Rogue" Peppermint Shrimp!

jack1978

Had a few Aptasia.

-Bought a Peppermint Shrimp.

-Devoured the Aptasia on his first night in.

Had some Xenia.

-Bought a Peppermint Shrimp to eat that too.... No wait, I wanted the Xenia!

I've also heard from multiple people that he may go after Acans, and zoas as well!!!

He only comes out at night and the first sight of me he retreats (with his mouth full I'm sure, fat bas%@rd!)

So, has anyone ever been able to trap one of these? I would add something to eat him as well....but have a feeling it would just keep perpetuating.

Any suggestions, please let's hear them!

Thanks,

I hold mine from time to time; it likes being hand fed... easy to slip a net over it when its on your finger.

qbical, I will give the shrimp a shot. What kind did you use?

i3enny,

He won't even come out of the rock until lights are out. If he sees me, he's gone.

Aqua fire/medic

My pepp ate a mini colony of acans in 2 weeks! Never again! Try placing your net in the tank and leaving it there over night.... He will lose his fear if he thinks it's part of your tank.... Then throw some feed in-between the net and your glass.... Be ready to pin him between the glass and the net.... That's how I got my devil out. GL

My pepp ate a mini colony of acans in 2 weeks! Never again! Try placing your net in the tank and leaving it there over night.... He will lose his fear if he thinks it's part of your tank.... Then throw some feed in-between the net and your glass.... Be ready to pin him between the glass and the net.... That's how I got my devil out. GL

Cool. I will try the net and see what happens, good idea. What a PITA! Well, the LFS was right. He did great on the Aptasia.

Thanks for the help.

Someone should engineer a breed of disposable peppermints with built in safeguard.

Finish munching the Aiptaisa, hit the kill switch! :lol:

YES!!

KILL SWITCH!!!!!!

siphon out during next water change.

Ya, like the siphon idea. The only prob is I can't get to him. Way too many caves and crevices. I only find the crumbs he leaves behind

are these the right true peps? Lysmata wurdemanni?

I think so. From the LFS. He looks like all the pics I've seen. And he ate all the Aptasia the first night. Guessing he's a pepp.

I hold mine from time to time; it likes being hand fed... easy to slip a net over it when its on your finger.

+1 Mine loves when I hand him/her food.

+1 Mine loves when I hand him/her food.

Thinking about rigging a mini speargun made of a sharpened tooth pick, rubberband and some bubble gum. Might have to train him to come out in the open first.... any shrimp wranglers out there? After that I may mount him on the wall.

I had a great peppermint. Left my corals alone, swam around, always out cleaning my rock and extra food that my fish didn't eat. Came home to see him half way eaten by my mini carpet anemone. Maybe I got a rare GOOD peppermint but I don't get the hate on them.

My peppermint is awesome! It completely wiped out my aptaisia invasion and is really good about cleaning up the extra food around the tank. Though, its never attempted to eat my corals it does cleans my hand as I'm cleaning my tank! Haha! ;)

My peppermint is awesome! It completely wiped out my aptaisia invasion and is really good about cleaning up the extra food around the tank. Though, its never attempted to eat my corals it does cleans my hand as I'm cleaning my tank! Haha! ;)

So, now I just want to kill this Peppermint Shrimp. Came home today for lunch and found one of my nicest zoa frags eaten! What use to be 9 heads of purple, orange, white and pink is now about 3 full heads and some remaining stocks! Will these grow back or just die off? Gonna get him out and squash him....probably not, but I would really like to right now!

Damn you shrimp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, now I just want to kill this Peppermint Shrimp. Came home today for lunch and found one of my nicest zoa frags eaten! What use to be 9 heads of purple, orange, white and pink is now about 3 full heads and some remaining stocks! Will these grow back or just die off? Gonna get him out and squash him....probably not, but I would really like to right now!

Damn you shrimp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ouch! Is there a way that you could remove your corals to a separate tank until you can catch the little rogue?

Ouch! Is there a way that you could remove your corals to a separate tank until you can catch the little rogue?

I wish I could. This is the only tank. And after all the scaping how I want it, frags placed and inhabitants staking their claims I would hate to rip this entire thing apart in hopes of catching him. On top of that he'd prob just hold up in some hole in the rock avoiding capture! I decided to build a trap and see if I can catch him. Just hoping my cleaner shrimp doesnt get trapped instead. I made a cone shaped "funnel" out of fish net screen and inserted it into a clear plastic vile (1 1/2" dia.) Hoping he crawls inside the funnel, squeezes through into the vile and wont be able to climb back out as the screen material will be too floppy. If I catch something I'll take pics....

...if most predators are well fed, better chance that hey will leave ur stock alone.

Try some krill...

I just want this thing out. I'm not into pamperring him with hopes he wont continue destroying my corals. Believe me, he's been fed well. If I would have known previously that they can decide to go after the desireables, he never would have been introduced. Thanks for the reply though.

qbical, I will give the shrimp a shot. What kind did you use?

i3enny,

He won't even come out of the rock until lights are out. If he sees me, he's gone.

next time u go to the store, go to the fresh seafood section and ask them for one fresh uncooked shrimp. they are going to look at you like you are totally on crack, so you may have to repeat yourself. lol

then just cut a little piece of that off and put it close to him. (other fish and inverts will want a piece of it too so be prepaired)

Sounds more like a (common name) camel shrimp.

You know, I wondered but he looks like all the Pepp pics that I've seen. Looked up the camel shrimp and it looks different. Do camels eat Aptasia? This one got it all in the first night. Now he's going for all the zoas.

next time u go to the store, go to the fresh seafood section and ask them for one fresh uncooked shrimp. they are going to look at you like you are totally on crack, so you may have to repeat yourself. lol

then just cut a little piece of that off and put it close to him. (other fish and inverts will want a piece of it too so be prepaired)

Ha ha. I'll try it. I made a home made trap last night, but no luck. Well, it attracted my cleaner shrimp and clowns but no Pepp. Couldnt find him last night at all. He's prob molting from all the eating he's been doing. Maybe emerging tonight with some hunger!

I had pretty much the same thing happen. The peppermint shrimp actually attacked my xenia and ate half the head of a pretty good size duncan. I got mine by not feeding for a day or so. After that he would swim to the top to eat flakes I was feeding my clowns. After seeing this, I put a net in the tank and let him get used to it. After about 10 minutes I put some flakes in, he swam up...a quick move with the net and I had him...

Good luck.

I had pretty much the same thing happen. The peppermint shrimp actually attacked my xenia and ate half the head of a pretty good size duncan. I got mine by not feeding for a day or so. After that he would swim to the top to eat flakes I was feeding my clowns. After seeing this, I put a net in the tank and let him get used to it. After about 10 minutes I put some flakes in, he swam up...a quick move with the net and I had him...

Good luck.

This sounds like the ticket! I skipped feeding today as amatter of fact in hopes of seeing him. It's been about three days without a sighting. I'm guessing he's molting, but I havent seen his old shell yet either. Maybe the "tank gods" stepped in a killed him! One can hope right?

Thanks for the tip.

Archived