inTank Media Baskets

Jolson10450's 2.5g pico LED powered 100% acan lord tank!

jolson10450

Well to start things off this tank is a 2.5g all glass tank. dimensions are 12"x6"x8" so it is very small! it is powered by 3x 3w cree LEDs 92x royal blue, 1x cool white) I have a koralia nano in there for flow which is hidden under the rocks and also a 25w heater which is also hidden under the rocks so they are not eye soars in this tiny tank! on the right side sits a tiny HOB filter (don't know brand, bought it at last swap for $1) that contains filter floss to catch particles in the water. it is used for breaking the surface tension so i can get a nice shimmer from the LEDS. i do feed the tank mysis 1-2 times per week so it also helps catch what the acans miss.

this tank contains:

100% acan lords for coral

1.5" sand bed

3.5 lbs of live rock

2 margarita snails

1 blue leg hermit

1 peppermint shrimp

1 nassarius vibex snail

i do have a future plan for a tiny goby but just have not found a winner yet. I do weekly water changes of 1/2 gallon per change (2 gallons volume after rock and sand)

well without further discussion here are some pictures!! starting from oldest to newest, sorry for the color in the older pictures, my point and shoot couldn't correct it. it gets better half way through because i got a better camera at that point so here goes!

**1-8-11 is the date started by adding sand and water to the tank**

Sand added:

addedsandandwater.jpg

rock added and leds mounted:

2011-01-08124807.jpg

my first unmounted additions from mrcoral:

2011-01-11170316.jpg

after the mounting and addition of a few others:

2011-01-11204338.jpg

few acan colonies:

2011-01-12165023.jpg

2011-01-12165010.jpg

2011-01-12165029.jpg

better camera pictures now:

fts:

fts1.jpg

super skittles acan macro:

superskittles2.jpg

some other acans:

acan15.jpg

acan14.jpg

acan11.jpg

acan10.jpg

acan9.jpg

pictures after filter added, you can see some shimmer in the pictures:

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

more acan shots:

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

orange sherbert (?) with only blues on:

DSC_0151.jpg

blood red acan:

DSC_0173.jpg

royal blue leds only FTS taken monday the 7th:

DSC_0178.jpg

with all leds on also taken monday the 7th:

DSC_0179.jpg

here are the most recent as of 2/20/11

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

This tank is just over 1 month old and is already flourishing. You may ask how, i used existing live sand from my main tank, existing live rock from my sump (some from trop) and i used the water change water from other tanks as well to get it started. i had it cycled fully within 3 days so that is how within 1 month it looks like it does!

I hope you enjoy!

Edited by jolson10450
  • Like 1
Holy bananas that's a lot of acans! Looks cool. :welcome: to nano-reef and the pico community!

Thanks! yeah there are 21 different acans, 22 total pieces but one of the frags in the tank is of the large colony in the sand, trying to find someone local to trade that acan for another i don't have. 22 will complete the tank! now it is just time waiting and letting it all grow out. i have been a member here for a while, i just usually don't post because everything is so fast paced! My main forum is captive reefs (i am a moderator there)

i have had small tanks throughout my saltwater journeys. My main tank is only a 29g with a 10g sump. i have a 5.5g LED powered frag tank AIO, and then this 2.5g tank. i have had a 1g tank in the past as well! that 1g got replaced by this 2.5g on my desktop at home.

thats a lot of acans :)

Yeah it was super hard getting them all to fit.

By the way this nano is in the nano contest on CR, i am currently at the max spending limit of $400 so there will be no more additions going into this tank until late June or after. should be nice to see what it looks like then.

Wow. That's really something else.

Beautiful. What are your feeding routines? I have had about 6 heads of this one specific acan and it literally hasn't grown at all in 4 months.

Wow. That's really something else.

Beautiful. What are your feeding routines? I have had about 6 heads of this one specific acan and it literally hasn't grown at all in 4 months.

i feed PE mysis 1-3 times per week and i also do coral frenzy 2 times per week. weekly water changes and filter floss changes and that is it. i target feed with a turkey baster to be sure 90% of the mysis is consumed, the other 10% my hermit or peppermint shrimp steals and eats. It is very fun and enjoyable, i have always wanted a single species tank and finally had the opportunity so i chose acan lords.

Mr. Microscope
i feed PE mysis 1-3 times per week and i also do coral frenzy 2 times per week. weekly water changes and filter floss changes and that is it. i target feed with a turkey baster to be sure 90% of the mysis is consumed, the other 10% my hermit or peppermint shrimp steals and eats. It is very fun and enjoyable, i have always wanted a single species tank and finally had the opportunity so i chose acan lords.

How much water do you change each week? Also, what does CR stand for?

How much water do you change each week? Also, what does CR stand for?

CR is captivereefs.com (wasn't to sure on the rules of posting other forum sites) and i water change 1/2 gallon per week. my actual water volume is just under 2 gallons with all of the rock and sand in the tank.

here are some updates, i moved the position of some of the frags to better fit the aquascape, the newer acans are almost to large for the tank already! Enjoy!

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
reefernanoman

Damn, this tank has many corals and LR!

here are some updates, i moved the position of some of the frags to better fit the aquascape, the newer acans are almost to large for the tank already! Enjoy!

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

Is this tank still running?

If we can get update pics, we can test the 18 month, partial water change wall for most pico reefs with sand beds. It would be a good test to see, hope he isn't gone.

Poster was last active two yrs ago this may not happen.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

If we can get update pics, we can test the 18 month, partial water change wall for most pico reefs with sand beds. It would be a good test to see, hope he isn't gone.

Damn, that's a shame.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...
On 10/14/2013 at 9:19 AM, brandon429 said:

Figured i'd dredge up this old thread in response to reefernanoman. Looks like the OP ended up taking down the tank after they started running in to some health issues with the tank. Welcome to 8 years ago! 😥

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/nano-contest/jolson10450s-2-5g-mini-pico-nano-contest-entry-11795/page12.html#.XVw_o-NKhGE