Pod Your Reef

Just got a 4X24W Nova Extreme - the fan is so noisy!

dekonstruktr

I just got a 4X24 Nova Extreme fixture - the fan is extremely noisy, i can hear it over my tv!

I've already ordered a SilenX that I hope will be quieter than this crappy factory fan.

What i'm wondering is, would it be ok to run it without the fan on for a few days?

Not really. It won't likely cause any serious damage to the unit, but the bulbs will run very hot.

I used to have that same light and hated the fan. Pitifully noisy.

guess i'll have to wait it out then. Also, i don't dig the stock bulbs at all, too Windex-y for my taste. Can't wait to get some new bulbs in

If you want to go the cheaper route, swap one of the blues for an ATI Purple Plus, or KZ Fiji Purple. That will do lot to get rid of the windex look.

Play with it though, and swap one of the whites for the purple instead (leaving both blues). That would be very similar to my favorite T5 4-tube combo.

If you replace them all, try this:

ATI Blue+

ATI Aquablue Special 12K

ATI Purple +

ATI Blue+

This combo looks AWESOME--- rich colors. It's definitely blue, but not really windex.

Funny, I just bought the 4x24w fixture from TKG here and replaced the fan with a silenx. SO SO SO much better it doesn't sound like a hair dryer anymore lol

Glad I am stumbling on this thread. I am ready to ditch my new light because of the fans being so loud. You would think that they would spend an extra $5 on better fans and just pass that cost onto the consumer. Where did you guys get your silenx fans from?

What size fans do I need to order (80mm x 80mm x 25mm)?

Archived