Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Buying a Used RSM Max 130

androidx1

Hi Everyone!!

First time posting here......just been lurking for the past month or so reading all the unbelievable information posted by all th members....Thanks everyone for all the info.

OK.....so I am a saltwaer/reef virgin. I have kept and bread freshwater fish for my entire life (mainly cichlids New and Old world including Discus) but I got out of the hobby about 3 years ago.....well Im getting the itch again, and this time I would like to try my hand at a Reef Tank.

I just agreed to purchase a used Red Sea Max 130 (not the 130D), and will be picking it up this comming weekend. Its currently set up but does not have any coral in it......just some live rock and sand.......Also, the guy I am buying it from said that he used tap water.

So I have a few questions and was hoping someone could maybe give me some advice on the following:

1. Would you guys break this tank down and start from scratch since he used tap water (mixed with salt of course)? Or should I try to use at least the live rock and sand that is already in the tank...and maybe just start with all new water.....

Also If I want to clean the sand and rock prior to putting back in tank...how would one go about doing this since im assuming I cant just keep rinsing (especially the sand) in fresh water till the water looks clear (which is how I would clean the sand it it were in freshwater??? Maybe I should just scrap the sand thats in the tank and just use the live rock and buy new sand/crushed coral.

2. He cannot tell me when the bulbs were changed, so I'm thinking I should get new lights. However, I am concerned about the heat generated by these lights. i dont want to spend the money on a chiller as I would rather spend it on an LED conversion instead...but I would like to avoid doing the LED conversion immediately. So I guess I ultimatley would like to konw if Im going to have temperature problems with the stock lights. My house is usually around 68 ~ 70F. and prob goes up to 75 ~ 78F in the summr.

3. This is the 130 not the 130D, so I've read alot about the poor skimmer capabilities. Should I purchase the Tunze 90002 immediately or can I get by for some time without it.....and is it easy to remove the existing skimmer and replace it with the Tunze?

4. I remember reading about a media box? what is the advantage of the media box....is it mainly for ease of use or for performance or both.....

Thats about all I can think of right now..........once I get this thing up and running....Im sure im going to have a million questions.

Any additional advice, or a heads up on something that I cant anticipate regarding the RSM 130 is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone on here....seems like a great community, and I am really excited to jump into this Hobby.

Thanks,

Mike

3. This is the 130 not the 130D, so I've read alot about the poor skimmer capabilities. Should I purchase the Tunze 90002 immediately or can I get by for some time without it.....and is it easy to remove the existing skimmer and replace it with the Tunze?

4. I remember reading about a media box? what is the advantage of the media box....is it mainly for ease of use or for performance or both.....

I would upgrade the skimmer right away. Here is the media basket:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Red-Sea-Max-M...ket-RSM3V20.htm

I personally would probably keep the rock, but use new sand. There is a possibility that during the move you would stir up a bunch of nasties anyway. I don't think the bulbs are that expensive really, but if you are planning on doing an LED conversion anyway, I would hold off on the bulbs...you really don't have to have the lights on for the cycle anyway. I think the first thing I would get even before the skimmer would be to get and RO/DI unit.

StevieT - Thanks for the link.........Ill be getting one of those shortly. I am picking the tank up this weekend....the more I think about things the more I think I will just start from scratch with the exception of using some of his rocks......someone on here was selling a tunze9002 skimmer, I initially told him I was going to buy it, but then I changed my mind because I wasnt sure about the skimmer cup.....it looked round, and I thought i noticed in some pictures somewhere a squar cup....do you know they sell it both ways??

rdahlke - Thanks for the advice...funny you mention the RO/DI unit....I was just looking at them on the net...I notice ebay has some low priced units, but im a little concerned about thier quality.....Also looked at Spectrapure, and it looks like they are having some pretty good sales...thinking about getting the CSPDI-90. 90gpd is a little overkill for a 34gallon tank, but im thinking ill be doing manual fills so I dont want to sit there all day long while the bucket fills :D

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_osmo_p2.htm

Looking forward to setting this thing up........I'll take some pics as I go.............

StevieT - Thanks for the link.........Ill be getting one of those shortly. I am picking the tank up this weekend....the more I think about things the more I think I will just start from scratch with the exception of using some of his rocks......someone on here was selling a tunze9002 skimmer, I initially told him I was going to buy it, but then I changed my mind because I wasnt sure about the skimmer cup.....it looked round, and I thought i noticed in some pictures somewhere a squar cup....do you know they sell it both ways??

The upgraded cup is sold by inTank our second invention that allows you to open and close the lid on the RSM without removing the round stock cup.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Standard-Upgr...9002-TNZCUP.htm

Just check over those rocks for any hitchhikers that you do not want. Start with the stock lighting and see what you think unless you are a go for LED. New bulbs are a must if you do keep you don't want to start off on the wrong foot. If they still have the stock heater junk it and get a new one.

1296951165072344015659.jpeg

thanks for the explanation on that skimmer cup.......Looks like I have a few things to purchase before I get things running as they should. I should have the tank this weekend. After I get this thing, I will start gathering all the items........

Thanks again for everyones help......I'll keep everyone posted with pics.......

OK.....made a trip to the local saltwater fish shop......and picked up what hopefully is a good book "The reef aquarium" and also bought a RO/DI (the Spectrapure CSPDI-90). I just havnt told my wife about the RO/DI purchase yet.........maybe I can sell her on it that she can use the water to fill up her Kurig (spelling??) coffeye maker....... ;)

So the biggest question I have about this expensive hobby is how are all you guys sneaking all this cost past your wives?? :D This is the real advise I need!!!!!!

Don't get married

If you made that mistake man up you work your ass off for your money. Technically you shouldn't drink RO/DI water but since you are mixing all sorts of crap back in it you are fine. She can use the waste water for other women's work.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't get married

If you made that mistake man up you work your ass off for your money. Technically you shouldn't drink RO/DI water but since you are mixing all sorts of crap back in it you are fine. She can use the waste water for other women's work.

"She can use the waste water for other womens work".......that is too funny!!!!!

StevieT - Got the order earlier this week!! (two fans, two pumps, tunze collection cup, media basket) Everything looks great....the packaging and products (especially the cup and basket) are very professional.....ur running a tight ship over thier....Thanks!!!

If only my spectrapure RO/DI would come in as quick as your delivery I would be all set to go......

As soon as I get the RO/DI unit and get it all hooked up, I'll be ready for filling the tank..Hopefully this weekend.

So i have one kind of dumb question to ask......I will be using 5gallon buckets of water to mix the salt water. What is the best way to measure out the appropriate amount of salt.......by volume (cups) or by weight?? Im wondering if you guys have any good tricks or tips on doing this quickly so I dont have to fiddle with adding a little them measuing the spec gravity...then adding some more and measuring again...etc...etc...etc......

Good to hear thanks again!

I use a measuring cup that I leave in my salt bucket. You will have to play with your first mix to get it to the right SG but after that you will have the formula. I fill the bucket to the exact same line every time and add the same amount of salt. I check the SG before adding to the tank but it is 98% correct. If you mix a few days a head of time just remember that you will ahve evaporation so add in more fresh water.

It takes me 2.5 cups of salt to get 1.025 with the volume of water I use ~~4 gallons

Archived