Top Shelf Aquatics

help me plan my future tank upgrade :)

new-b-reefer

so my wife and i will be moving soon, yes that means i gotta move all 4 tanks, yikes. but we just bought our first place and were talking about a larger tank :) was thinking of combining my seaclear 20gallon system 2 and my nano cube 28 into a 40 gallon breeder setup :) i am looking for opinions on how iu should do the setup. my lfs can get me the tank and if i want they can add an internal overflow box built in and drill it for me for about $50 more. not bad i didnt think. but should i go with a drilled tank with internal overflow box or should i do an hob overflow box? i am afraid that drilling the tank would compromise the strength of the tank wouldnt it? and from what i see and here, the hob overflow boxes are very reliable but then again i guess it doesnt get more reliable than a hole in the tank ;)

i also see people run them with the hob fuges or even ac110 hob fuges. i have an aquac nano remora skimmer that i can upgrade the pump on easily. i can run it on the tank or the sump (will run on the sump if i end up doing a sump which i probably will. i was thinking a 10 gallon sump/refugium :) i also have a jbj reaction canister filter with built in uv that i am not currently using if that is an option. it is a great filter :), thats like a little sump in itself :) cant grow chaeto in it but used it for reef a while back and i must say it kept the water quality perfect and always crystal clear.

i dont want to do a different tank. i really like the 40 breeder. has a good footprint and layout. just the size i want and has alot of swimming room.

im looking for suggestions and/or your thoughts please. help me plan my future tank. we are moving in about a month and i would like to do it a couple months after that so there is some time :)

but please... thoughts?

following! I am going to be setting a 40b up when i move as well.. :) I graduate in 3 months and can GTFO of the house again

nice :)

this will be the biggest tank i have done, for myself anyway. kinda exciting :) ok really exciting. and since combining 2 already established tanks... no cycle :D the bigger tank opens up possibilitys :)

will yours be a tank upgrade or a new addition to the reef addiction? lol

I am a big fan of the 40 breeder as well...and oddly enough that's what I plan on upgrading to when I graduate as well haha. I'm sure you'll get lots of different opinions on drilled vs. box, but I'll go ahead and say drilled. I've never met anyone who has regretted drilling theirs. It shouldn't compromise the strength of the tank.

nice :)

this will be the biggest tank i have done, for myself anyway. kinda exciting :) ok really exciting. and since combining 2 already established tanks... no cycle :D the bigger tank opens up possibilitys :)

will yours be a tank upgrade or a new addition to the reef addiction? lol

ugh.. this is in debate right now :) I want a fluval edge for my computer desk.. the girl friend likes her freshwater fishies (mine but she has adopted them) and she wants a flame hawk fish because it looks like a puppy.. and they dont get along with the goby pistol pair.

Either way I am getting a 40b.. worse case scenario is I have to buy EVERYTHING again :) But i think i could be satisfied with a rock sand and the pistol/goby combo on my computer desk.. and run my 20 as a sump

I am a big fan of the 40 breeder as well...and oddly enough that's what I plan on upgrading to when I graduate as well haha. I'm sure you'll get lots of different opinions on drilled vs. box, but I'll go ahead and say drilled. I've never met anyone who has regretted drilling theirs. It shouldn't compromise the strength of the tank.

lol, nice. another 40b fan :) and thanks for the input on the drilled ;) i thought an extra 50 bucks wasnt bad at all to have a professionally built internal overflow. and these guys have done so many i know they know how to do it right :) i was thinking possibly a center overflow if they will do it. might be just a corner one. either way it is cool though. i just dont want it to comprimise the strength ya know. how hard is pluming everything. shouldnt be too bad right. just a drain hose and a return hose. same as a canister filter really i guess (siphon and return). what return pumps would you recomend. and where should the return come into the display at or does it matter. also for lighting i have 2 24" aquatic life dual t5ho fixtures (so 4 t5ho bulbs) i want to use these since i have them already and i know they will support my corals and nem, (the nem has been doing great under a single dual fixture for a long time now so using double fixtures would work great. the fixtures are a bit short but i want to use them, just have to figure out how to mount them, the legs wont stretch enough lol. i will have to get creative :)

ugh.. this is in debate right now :) I want a fluval edge for my computer desk.. the girl friend likes her freshwater fishies (mine but she has adopted them) and she wants a flame hawk fish because it looks like a puppy.. and they dont get along with the goby pistol pair.

Either way I am getting a 40b.. worse case scenario is I have to buy EVERYTHING again :) But i think i could be satisfied with a rock sand and the pistol/goby combo on my computer desk.. and run my 20 as a sump

sounds like a plan. a goby and pistol pair in the edge right? what is going in the 40b, the flame hawk? what else? and how do you plan on doing your 40b. drilled internal overflow, hob overflow box, or hob fuge/filter, aquaclear converted to fuge? oh you said the 20 as a sump, oops forgot that part lol. still though, drilled or not drilled on the 40b?

sounds like a plan. a goby and pistol pair in the edge right? what is going in the 40b, the flame hawk? what else? and how do you plan on doing your 40b. drilled internal overflow, hob overflow box, or hob fuge/filter, aquaclear converted to fuge? oh you said the 20 as a sump, oops forgot that part lol. still though, drilled or not drilled on the 40b?

the edge will take the pistol/goby pair and that will be that and some coral yay!..

The 40b I would move 3/4 of my livestock to..

The maroon(hes like 3 inches at least) and firefish would go to the 40b

I was thinking instead of running the Sump and drilling etc.. (to me its just one more thing that will go wrong) Do a HOB AC110 or something of this sort. But i am still in debate and that is why I am tagging along on here.

the edge will take the pistol/goby pair and that will be that and some coral yay!..

The 40b I would move 3/4 of my livestock to..

The maroon(hes like 3 inches at least) and firefish would go to the 40b

I was thinking instead of running the Sump and drilling etc.. (to me its just one more thing that will go wrong) Do a HOB AC110 or something of this sort. But i am still in debate and that is why I am tagging along on here.

nice, got it, and thanks for joining ;) i have been in a similar debate with drilling. thinking more to go wrong. i always try to atleast considder the "what if's" that why i was also thinking about and hob fuge or something. maybe also running my jbj reaction canister filter, that givves the option to use the uv if need be also :) or just an hob fuge and my remora skimmer. most of the filtration comes down to the rock and partial water changes. i do all mine, 10 percent water change every week. (other than the pico, it gets like a 30-40 percent water change a week since its on ly about a gallon of water in that 30-40 percent ;) ) combining the 28 and 20 gallon into the 40b, would end up being the same amount of water changed weekly ;) but just one tank to do, and the bigger tank is more stability :)

still all up in the air though, hence my search for all the opinions i can get :D

Archived