ReefCleaners.org

McGuff's 6 gal Fluval Edge

mmcguffi

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have some gobstoppers and they definitely have a green mouth (under actinic). FWIW I think your red AOG or whatever they are look much nicer.

• 3 weeks later...

do you still use only purapad in your filter? If so do you just cut a piece that you lay flat on the bottom of your filter?

Amazing tank by the way!

Thanks for all the nice words guys :happy: my computer is broked right now (my phone==my lifeline) so I'm not really sure how/where to upload a pic of my tank. I was toying around with my new camera and I guess I did take a new fts lol

Ill go to a nearby computing site and see if I can figure something out

do you still use only purapad in your filter? If so do you just cut a piece that you lay flat on the bottom of your filter?

Amazing tank by the way!

I did for the vast majority of this tanks lifetime. HOWEVER two days ago I modded an ac50 into a fuge and put a submersible halogen/macro back there. Still trying to figure out a new chemical filtration media solution

I can say thought that the purapad+ac20 worked quite well for me :)

(oh and yep I just just cut it to size and put the white side down. I also put my heater in the filter chamber to keep it out of view)

alrighty so I made it to a nearby computing center only to realize the macs here are jerks and wont let me import my RAW files

none of the pictures were ever meant to be shown to anyone anyhow so whatevs--Ill just post one of them so you guys get an idea ...I guess it has been 6 months :eek:

jeez do I suck at keeping my threads updated.

anyway, Im not posting this under my FTS progression because it's not framed like the rest of them and I didnt clean the glass, move extraneous frags out of the way, trim my macros, color is off, slightly out of focus, yada yada

6682470973_770112bdbe_b.jpg

...here's the last FTS from 6 months ago for reference

5886038288_a21ccde1dd_b.jpg

Yep still got em. Very neat little creature--wish I could get some shots for you real quick but my computer situation is pretty limiting atm :/

I highly suggest them though--really interesting behavior for a snail and completely reef safe IME. Looks really neat too

AC20 is the stock filter but the AC50 fits in with minimal modification (<5 mins)

I thought the stock filter was the ac10 . I can't imagine having any room in my filter if I put the heater in it. barely any room in it just with 250ml of purigen

Yep still got em. Very neat little creature--wish I could get some shots for you real quick but my computer situation is pretty limiting atm :/

I highly suggest them though--really interesting behavior for a snail and completely reef safe IME. Looks really neat too

Well this is a great tank:) and you've sold me, if I can find one, I'll buy it.

I thought the stock filter was the ac10 . I can't imagine having any room in my filter if I put the heater in it. barely any room in it just with 250ml of purigen

Nope, no such thing as an ac10. And there isn't one solution to filtration--whatever you find works the best IS the best. Personally I liked the simplicity small profile of the purapad but if you find your puragen is a rockstar then I say stick with that :happy:

Well this is a great tank:) and you've sold me, if I can find one, I'll buy it.

Yea! You should tell you LFS to order you one, theyre pretty awesome. For reference I think mine was like $10-12

So yesterday (Jan 16th) was my tank's 1 year birthday! pretty crazy

as a retrospective to myself, here is my very first post on NR--spelling errors and all

Hello!

Ive been very interested in saltwater aquariums for a few years now and just recently took the plunge. I have a Fluval Edge and yesterday I finally got the rest of my supplies for my tank and (attempted) to get it up and running. I ended up purchasing around 11 lbs of quality cured pacific LR, which may have been perhaps too much? Is there such a thing? Also got about 11 lbs of sand and 1 lb of live sand. I put the sand in my tank (without rinsing, now the sand wont settle...) and proceeded to fill it with distilled water. I then mixed the salt in, stupid I know, I dont know why I did it this way. Ive just wanted a tank for years and I guess got way to excited. Anyway, after the water had warmed to the proper temp and the salt level was stable (~1.025) I added all of my live rock which had been out of water for about 5-6 hours (still moist of course). I noticed a large 6" bristle worm as well as some tiny star fish and other inverts on the rocks when I was putting them in. I tossed in a raw shrimp to get the cycle started. This morning, I checked the salinity again and decided it need to be lower, so I added more distilled water over the period of 2 hrs or so and brought it down to about 1.020 (also VERY stupid). I proceeded to aquascape and I noticed a significant amount of die-off particularly almost all of the starfish and the bristle worm as well a pungent smell. I then removed the raw shrimp I placed in the tank. Did I screw my tank over by adding too much LR or crash it by changing the salinity so quickly? Am I totally effed and need to invest in new LR? Or am I just freaking out and just need to wait it out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Matt

I have learned exactly one metric crapload since Ive been trawling (not trolling :lol:) the forums. you guys are the best

first of all the tank looks great. I just bought the same tank got lucky and picked one up at petco for super cheap. normally 149 they had it marked as a managers special for 25 bucks!! i plan on doing the same kinda setup as yours. nice thing is i work at a LFS so should be able to hook it up with some nice pieces. hopefully it will look half as good as yours

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Favorite nano-reefer on here by far -- huge fan of your penmanship and tank, sir!

just wanted to say, after seeing your posts float around here and there! :)

oh! and I also started with an edge!

Archived