Innovative Marine Aquariums

McGuff's 6 gal Fluval Edge

mmcguffi

Same colony as above but in my daylights. Someone said they might be radioactive dragon eyes? Im not sure if I agree

5687821374_7ae43b4907_z.jpg

My sun coral is doing well and Im getting crazy polyp extension. I feed it in a separate container about every 4 days on average I would say

5687821032_738543924d_z.jpg

Also, does anyone know what this is and if my emerald will eat it? I dont really know my macros

5688297041_d64cf76ffb_z.jpg

I got it as a penny macro from reefcleaners

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
streakr22
Also, does anyone know what this is and if my emerald will eat it? I dont really know my macros

5688297041_d64cf76ffb_z.jpg

I got it as a penny macro from reefcleaners

Red Gracilaria

CarrillXXP
Here's a pic of my awesome iridescent blue bristle worm. I only had one to begin with but recently I saw two out at the same time. The smaller one had a 1 cm long, red feathery tail. I guess it reproduced asexually, pretty awesome though because they are both roughly equal in size and huge.

Here's the biggun

5685943485_c0ae225107_b.jpg

5685944123_17110a2cff_b.jpg

Also here's a pic of some zoas I got at a frag swap. The colors are pretty accurate--it's taken me forever to figure out the white balance settings to properly capture my tank but I think Im getting closer to getting it right.

Any clue what these are? I did a quick search on zoaid.com but couldnt find anything

5686511516_c7b14d1dbd_z.jpg

I think those are green bay packers or also known as GPB Zoas

Definitely not GBP zoas, they look kind of similar under the actinics but look way different as you can see under the daylights.

http://zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=118

Red Gracilaria

Thanks for the ID but I actually killed it <_< Ive really only kept halimeda before and it wasnt shipped to me.

I just threw the gracilaria under my lights full power and bleached it... Lesson learned (at least it was only a penny!)

• 3 weeks later...

found this on my walls a little bit ago

cerith eggs

5757910666_b313f8520a_z.jpg

kinda neat--Ill post some more later about what happened during month of may with my tank (Hint: lots!) along with a new FTS

My new sun coral. It took a few days for the polyps to come out and when they did I fed it in a separate container. Still trying to figure out a system. In the picture with the closed polyps you can see a little oblong brown thing near where the sun coral is showing its skeleton. I think it was a nudi. I killed it.

5638762637_f712eef290_z.jpg

5642096634_7cfd27e597_z.jpg

The sun coral is gorgeous! Any new FTSs?

• 2 weeks later...

The tank is looking great! I love the sun coral.

I swapped my Edge for a 5.5 rimless. I just couldn't work past the lighting issues. Wish I could have sprung for the Nanotuners fixture, but it's just not in the budget.

I LOVE living vicariously through your Edge thread though.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright so I finally got a new FTS, I updated the info/specs about my tank as well.

Ill detail what exactly I did to my tank the last two months a little later--it took longer than I thought to catalogue everything

here's this though

5883608820_f6360e6019_b.jpg

the little tiny green thing is a frog spawn bud--my frog spawn asexually reproduced. pretty cool IMO

heres the thread with more details -- http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=275380&hl=

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Wow! Your tank is beautiful!!! Awesome job!

Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it, I spend way too much time on this thing lol

nice tank-that fixuture does go in the hood of the edge, right?

yep, 'sposed to tuck nicely in the hood but like I said in the post where I show how I modded the hood, I liked how the light highlighted my scape the way I have it now. It seriously looks 300 million times better IMO. Im not saying everyone who has one of these it'll make their tank look better--I feel like it's a case by case thing.

but yea Ive got a few new corals and some slight aquascaping changes. Ill grab a new FTS soon

• 1 month later...

Cute tank you should realy make a bigger hood, one that fits over both light units. Just like the normal hood only a bit longer on the front. :o would be awesome.

Cute tank you should realy make a bigger hood, one that fits over both light units. Just like the normal hood only a bit longer on the front. :o would be awesome.

Actually Ive only been running the LEDs for a good while now. But Im not a fan of the extra long hoods people make anyhow. I think this looks sufficient. Those nanotuners guys sure knew what they were doing in the aesthetics department (just look at those new JBJ fixtures!)

but yea, Im absolutely terrible at keeping my threads updated. Kind of sucks for me because it's really cool to see exactly how far my tank has come. I should have taken a few more FTS since the last one but whatever, it is what it is

Ill grab a new FTS real soon, I promise. New additions include a derasa, new frogspawn (old one got too big), sunset monti, and a whole buncha others

• 3 weeks later...

I took some pics under the actinics last night and this is the first time where I can vouch that the colors are near 100% accurate :happy:

I was sold these as gobstoppers, but as far as I can tell there they are also called AOG and a couple other names. can anyone confirm this? gobstopper or aog?

6450695993_6dcbf3e5c7_z.jpg

here's a derasa I recently got (obviously the colors are non-existent under the actinics. Ill have to grab another)

6450697201_c5e6168513_z.jpg

you can see a majano in the background of that last pic. here it is close up

6450696815_e0c1bcfeb2_z.jpg

what an ugly little thing :angry: but srsly I think these guys get a bad rap. Ive had them for about a month and neither of the two I have have spit yet. wish I could say that about the xenia that somehow got into my tank

and here's the frogspawn you can kind of see in that last pic. I had to switch out my frogspawn because the other outgrew my tank! here's the new guy

6450696413_849e3cf3e3_z.jpg

A new FTS and update is coming up soon :happy:

garrettparson

Looks awesome! How much did those two red zoanthids cost ya? They are beautiful aswell I would like a majano anemone for my up coming pico that will be started in the next couple weeks. Same idea as the last one I had just better, improved and will not fail this time. Ha

Great job. What mushroom did you have off the euphyllia glabrescens bud?

All my ricordea of split and my zoanthids are going crazy. I also have a Kenya tree who has taken over in different spots. Nothing as cool as a euphyllia sp budding off.

Normally, I don't like the "Edge" threads.

but...

You've done a great job making one truly functional.

I totally dig where this is going... B)

Looks awesome! How much did those two red zoanthids cost ya?

They were $10/polyp and I got 2 polyps... so $20. The most Ive spent on a coral--especially a zoanthid

Great job. What mushroom did you have off the euphyllia glabrescens bud?

Thanks! It just some green shroom--iono exactly

nice pictures. What are those red zoo's called?

not quite sure--everlasting gobstoppers (what they were sold to me as) or maybe AOG palys

I bought them as a pre-sale thing when they were still closed. the pic they were billed as was this:

P1070041.jpg

Im a little pissed to be honest because they definitely are not those. Ive been debating emailing the dude but I feel it might be too late...

love the colors on those zoas

yea it's a kinda neat metallic red

Normally, I don't like the "Edge" threads.

but...

You've done a great job making one truly functional.

I totally dig where this is going... B)

:lol: fanks

that new fts is coming up soon I promise :happy:

Archived