Pod Your Reef

starving CUC?

clowe18

I have 4 mexican turbo snails 5 Astraea Conehead Snails 2 Nassarius Snail and a few Dwarf Red Tip Hermit and

Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crabs in a 20 gallon. Im afraid they are gunna starve because there isnt enough food for them to schavange. What can i do, without removing any members of my CUC, to preveent them from starving to death?

Don't feed your CuC..

They are there to cleanup left-over food and algae.

What causes left-over food and algae? Over feeding.

If you want a CuC tank, make a pico and feed it. If you want your CuC to keep your display tank clean, let them starve until there's a balance between what you need and what you have.

That being said, you're not even close.

In my 20g, I have about:

10 hermits

25 snails

1 big turbo snail

Emerald crab

Additional feeding will be a waste of money and a headache from the algae it causes.

My Fish have ich so there in a QT with hyposaltinity. My CUC won't have leftovers to feed from if there's so Fish. Hense the question.

well the obvious reply would be yes.. feed your CuC don't let them starve! The original post said nothing of this

I say get sinking algae wafers and feed it twice a week. I took down 2 of my 3 tanks and all the cuc are now in the same tank. I do supplemental feedings to ensure they are well nourished. I disagree with Xris letting them compete for Resources it's a bigger waste of money. You already invested in your CUC why let them die just to proof Darwin's theory.

I would say that your CuC is so light as it stands, that there will probably be enough algae growth from running your lights.

However, since you aren't feeding fish, then sure.. you can toss some flake or something in there.

My bad I should have been more specific about the situtation. Thanks. Do you guys think my CUC is overkill for my 20? I also(when my ichs gone) want to add an algae blenny.. Would there be enough algae for him to eat with this many snails?

bump...

Do you guys think my CUC is overkill for my 20? I also(when my ichs gone) want to add an algae blenny.. Would there be enough algae for him to eat with this many snails?

My only concern would be the 25 snails, but, you haven't established what kind of snails are those. If they are ceriths then it should be ok, on the other hand your hermits might fight for shells and kill small snails for food and their shells.

In my case I feed mine twice a week because I have (26 Gal)

• 4 turbos

• 3 black scutus snails

• 2 pyramid

• Uncountable ceriths

• Uncountable colonista

• 2-3 stomatella

• 1 electric blue hermit

• Conch

• At least 12 visible mini brittle stars

• Swinging population of Asterina

Non CUC

• Cleaner shrimp

• Trapezia sp (Acro crab)

My only concern would be the 25 snails, but, you haven't established what kind of snails are those. If they are ceriths then it should be ok, on the other hand your hermits might fight for shells and kill small snails for food and their shells.

In my case I feed mine twice a week because I have (26 Gal)

• 4 turbos

• 3 black scutus snails

• 2 pyramid

• Uncountable ceriths

• Uncountable colonista

• 2-3 stomatella

• 1 electric blue hermit

• conch

Non CUC

• Cleaner shrimp

• Trapezia sp (Acro crab)

I have 4 mexican turbo snails 5 Astraea Conehead Snails 2 Nassarius Snail and a few Dwarf Red Tip Hermit and

Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crabs. thats my current CUC

There is no easy answer to that... I have a 20 gall with two margarita snails, three cerith snails, and a tuxido urchin. Thats it... I feed my fish every day, LPS once a week, and SPS two to three times per week.

I run an oversized skimmer and change alot of water. My CUC would not work on a system that had poor filtration and small water changes. If you algea is in check with what you have, don't change anything.

As to having fish in QT. Why not get a shrimp or two? Those could keep the nitrogen beast fed while the fishies are away.

sorry OP your right, my bad, you are A OK.

if you want to feed them for your peace of mind i would recomend 2-3 algae waffers once a week.

I fail to see where are your 25 snails. :huh:

different person bros

Archived