inTank Media Baskets

Calcium Overdose!

Euphyllia

I was just dosing B-Ionic two-part Calcium Alkalinity to my SPS tank and I overdosed. I was pouring the Calcium into the measuring cup while thinking about dosing to my Red Sea Max, and I dosed about 7ml (my dosage for the Red Sea Max) instead of 5ml (my dosage for my SPS tank). Will it be okay, or do I need to do an immediate WC? Is it bad if the Calcium level goes higher than 450?

HecticDialectics

Nope, as long as it didn't cause a snow storm of precipitation you're fine.

I'd just make sure to re-test your Ca and Alk in a few days so that future dosing is balanced back out.

Nope, as long as it didn't cause a snow storm of precipitation you're fine.

I'd just make sure to re-test your Ca and Alk in a few days so that future dosing is balanced back out.

Thanks for the fast reply! Now I won't go to sleep worrying. :)

I'll test Ca and Alk tomorrow and dose accordingly. Thanks again! :)

If it gets out of balance from your magnesium ratio it will precipitate into the water and not overdose. In other words, low magnesium causes calcium fall out. If your mag level is proportionally high than maybe you'll have a problem as the calcium may not precipitate and remain too high.

Crap. I checked and my Salifert test kit wouldn't even read the Ca levels, it was too high. I'm assuming around 600ppm. I'll check my Mg.

Archived