Top Shelf Aquatics

purging live rock

xxbrianxx

So I just picked up a small half pound piece of LR from the LFS that's completely covered in coralline. The problem is I already have a pest free system and I don't want to risk putting it in. The only reason I got it is because I started with dry rock so I'm pretty sure I don't have any coralline in my system. How do I purge everything from the rock besides the coralline? I have it in a freshwater dip right now but I'm not sure if that's good enough. Thanks!

I have read that you can chip off the coraline and add it to the tank and that should get it going. Maybe do a FW dip to the piece you break off prior to putting it in your tank.

Coraline is a pest in your book? Weird.....

Anyways, a fresh water dip for several days will kill pretty much everything on the rock except for beneficial bacteria. Much safer than using chemicals. Boiling water will do the same thing, but will render the rock totally inert and in a state the same as dry rock, except cleaner.

Chipping it off gets pretty messy....at least from my experience lol. And no the one thing I WANT is the coralline. I'm trying to kill everything else. I don't mind if the bacteria dies as my tanks already established. Would a fw dip for a few days kill coralline as well?

Why do you want to kill your coraline? :huh:

They want to save the coraline, but kill the rest.

It will not happen. You cannot pick and choose what you want to die off your rock. Your freshwater dip already killed the coraline. Sorry to be blunt, but it is the truth.

Coraline is pretty sensitive stuff and will die off for no apparent reason. A freshwater dip is not going to make it happy....

Quick, within a few minutes....

It will die within a few minutes?

When i bought my tank from my friend the coraline was out of water for hours and it had turned white by the time I refilled the tank. After a cycle and a little time after that, the coraline was the first thing in the tank to turn purple. It seemed like it just receded for a few weeks and then came back slowly but did come back.

When i bought my tank from my friend the coraline was out of water for hours and it had turned white by the time I refilled the tank.

Yes.....it died. White = dead :)

It just happened to grow back quickly. I highly doubt the same coraline that turned white then came back to purple/pink. It does not work that way.

But I could be wrong.

They want to save the coraline, but kill the rest.

It will not happen. You cannot pick and choose what you want to die off your rock. Your freshwater dip already killed the coraline. Sorry to be blunt, but it is the truth.

Coraline is pretty sensitive stuff and will die off for no apparent reason. A freshwater dip is not going to make it happy....

Oooh, never mind.

Misread things. :P

Its actually pretty hardy all things considered. And yes it can come back from looking dead aka white. Again Iodine based dip is your friend in these circumstances. It will kill off any nudi's et al on the rock while keeping the coarline alive. 5 min in a lugols dip will kill off all the inverts on the rock.

gulfsurfer101

All has been covered here, fw dip =dead coraline along with whatever else is in your rock. If you add that to your tank your run the risk of releasing whatever has died to decay in your sytem possibly releasing toxins into your tank. I know when you have a heavy FW die off you get all kinds of nasty junk relaesed in your tank.

Its actually pretty hardy all things considered. And yes it can come back from looking dead aka white. Again Iodine based dip is your friend in these circumstances. It will kill off any nudi's et al on the rock while keeping the coarline alive. 5 min in a lugols dip will kill off all the inverts on the rock.

Good to know. But I think the OP already killed it with FW. So I guess it is all one big learning experience for us all!

Archived