Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Baby feather star?

matt frizz

I think I found a baby feather star in a colony of zoanthids i recently bought. It's white/translucent and has six arms. They all look feathery and it alternates putting the feathers into the middle (mouth I'm guessing) and retracting them. It's definitely filter feeding and it has what appears to be a stalk like feather sea stars are supposed to start off with.

If this guy makes it and flourishes in my tank wouldn't that be awesome? I'm doubtful but still hopeful. I'll try to get a pic but it's pretty small and my camera is pretty bad. Maybe we can get a solid ID.

nice! i've seen a bunch of pictures of them and they look awesome! i hope they aquaculture these guys, it'd be cool to have them and be able to keep 'em alive. good luck with it

I'm watching it eat and stuff. It seems to match the description of baby feather star, I hope my harlequin doesn't eat it. Does anybody know about that?

cool got any pictures? I have read that they are sticky as Velcro to fabric and won't let go, I know they are crinoids but I am not sure whether they have the tube feet like other echinoderms? Also I have read not in experience that Harlequins diet is starfish tube feet but when driven to hunger have eaten urchins. I don't think they would eat the feather star but you never know lol

Archived