Cultivated Reef

What is the Best Protein Skimmer

saltwatercoral

saltwatercoral

What is the best Protein Skimmer to get for a 45G cube tank? I just yesterday purchased my new Marineland 45g tank and stand from Exotic Aquatics in Towson MD!!! I am goin t purchase a Eshopps RS-100 Reef Sump. The sump is made for a 75G to 125G setup. I just want to make sure I get a REAL GOOD Protein Skimmer that is nice and quiet as well. Thanks

What is the best Protein Skimmer to get for a 45G cube tank? I just yesterday purchased my new Marineland 45g tank and stand from Exotic Aquatics in Towson MD!!! I am goin t purchase a Eshopps RS-100 Reef Sump. The sump is made for a 75G to 125G setup. I just want to make sure I get a REAL GOOD Protein Skimmer that is nice and quiet as well. Thanks

SWC 160 or 150. I have a 150 and it is a beast.

Check out a SWC 120 or 160, Bubble Magus NAC 6 or 7, or a Reef Octopus NWB-110. If you want to save some cash and put one together yourself this http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/...one-Skimmer-Kit is an awfully nice kit.

I had the SWC 160 on my 90g. The only problem with most of these skimmers is that a constant level of water needs to be had at all times. Any change in the water level will cause the skimmer to overflow. Now fluctuation in water level only usually happens if the power goes off and on. Thus bringing me to the Ice storm that went through my area 2 weeks ago, power on and off all day long and the skimmer overflows tripping the breaker in the electrical panel. I haven't mentioned that I was on vacation for a week. Everything in the tank died. Now i will say that the SWC 160 is a AWESOME skimmer. but if I had to do it all over again, i might go for the Aqua C Urchin Pro (or just the regular Urchin). the water level doesn't matter (or so ive been told)

htthttp://www.proteinskimmer.com/Product%20Pages/Urchin%20Series.htm

Basically in most tanks, the Sump inst big enough to handle a skimmer overflowing. thus getting everything wet. Its something to consider. I wish I had. Its not a bash against the SWC. If I had a huge sump that could handle a little overflow, then i would get a SWC cone skimmer in a heartbeat!!! Its just a flaw in clone skimmers that they are like this.

well if you set the skimmer upand use a controller you can program a delay after is shuts off and that would not happen. needless to say i run an itech and an atb both make 1 small enough for your tank with sump and overstocking it. itech 100 and the atb 840

well if you set the skimmer upand use a controller you can program a delay after is shuts off and that would not happen. needless to say i run an itech and an atb both make 1 small enough for your tank with sump and overstocking it. itech 100 and the atb 840

Ahh good Idea with the delay!!! Ive never used a controller. But its a great reason to be a advocate of one!!

So get a Reefkeeper lite and a SWC 150!!!! perfect for your tank! (if money only grew on tree's right!!)

Best skimmer for your size tank is XP-1000SSS, make sure it is the 2nd Gen Bubbleblaster pump. Unless your wanting to spend $400+ that would be I-Tech 100, for a little more I'd shoot for the 200 model in case you are upgrading in the near future, I'd say the 200 model I-tech is good up to 90G heavy bio-load. I currently have the 400 model on a 120G setup *heavy-load* Big skimmer for sure, but it just means I can heavily feed as well ;)

• 2 weeks later...

What's your budget? What's your objective? What's your stocking like? All of these things will play a huge part.

For my money, however - Bubble King, ATB, and SWC.

Archived