inTank Media Baskets

Should I mod my AC70

trever22

I have a finnex 4 gal and a AC70 filter so should I mod the filter or would the stock filter be fine? If I should mod it what kind of mod should I do. I know I and pretty much a noob but I also would really appreciate some help ;) So any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Trever

HecticDialectics

Depends, definitely won't hurt to use the AC70. The mods you do to the AC70 depend entirely on what you want out of it. Could the tank use more flow? Then leave the impeller alone. If you have enough flow, you can cut off one of the impeller arms.

You can also mod the AC70 to be a fuge, or you can just use it to run carbon and some filter floss.

Decisions, decisions! :P

Depends, definitely won't hurt to use the AC70. The mods you do to the AC70 depend entirely on what you want out of it. Could the tank use more flow? Then leave the impeller alone. If you have enough flow, you can cut off one of the impeller arms.

You can also mod the AC70 to be a fuge, or you can just use it to run carbon and some filter floss.

Decisions, decisions! :P

Since I dont really know what to do. What would you do?

mygsris2slo4u

I would recommend modifying the AC70 and use it to run filter floss, chemi pure elite, and to act as a refugium. Check out my tank thread to see the modifications I made. Many others have done the same or similar. The only thing I might suggest would be to swap the impeller out for a little less flow since you're using it on a 4g tank.

Use it to run filter floss, Chemi-Pure Elite and some chaeto. Avoid stacking thing vertically by creating compartments. This make it easy to replace different filter components and keeps stuff from accumulating in the bottom of the filter where nitrates could build up. I personally don't recommend clipping the impeller blades. The more flow, the better. ;)

Link to my build: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2004830

I would recommend modifying the AC70 and use it to run filter floss, chemi pure elite, and to act as a refugium. Check out my tank thread to see the modifications I made. Many others have done the same or similar. The only thing I might suggest would be to swap the impeller out for a little less flow since you're using it on a 4g tank.

Sorry, may be a stupid question but what is the reason for modifying it. What purpose does it serve. I know is a dumb question but is there really that big of a difference between what comes with the stock filter and what you are modifying it to do?

Thanks,

Trever

Use it to run filter floss, Chemi-Pure Elite and some chaeto. Avoid stacking thing vertically by creating compartments. This make it easy to replace different filter components and keeps stuff from accumulating in the bottom of the filter where nitrates could build up. I personally don't recommend clipping the impeller blades. The more flow, the better. ;)

Link to my build: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2004830

So what would this actually do? And what are the cons and maybe pros of just leaving the filter stock

The filter floss removes suspended debris. Chemi-Pure Elite helps in removing phosphates and silicates and keeps your water clean. The chaeto serves as nutrient export and over time becomes a good place for pods to live and thrive. You can certainly run the filter stock but the way it's designed it stacks everything vertically which can cause stuff to settle at the bottom and cause nitrates to build up over time. Ditto on the sponge. Also Chemi-Pure Elite is much more effective at lowering phosphates and keeping your water clear than the stock carbon.

The filter floss removes suspended debris. Chemi-Pure Elite helps in removing phosphates and silicates and keeps your water clean. The chaeto serves as nutrient export and over time becomes a good place for pods to live and thrive. You can certainly run the filter stock but the way it's designed it stacks everything vertically which can cause stuff to settle at the bottom and cause nitrates to build up over time. Ditto on the sponge. Also Chemi-Pure Elite is much more effective at lowering phosphates and keeping your water clear than the stock carbon.

If I modded my filter would I need a light over it?

Archived