My Cadlights 39G Signature

Shunyata

Got this up and running last weekend. So far there are only three snails, two crabs, and some macro algae. The grape is up front, and chaeto in the refugium.

Used 40 lbs of Manado Live Rock (cured) from Premium Aquatics. Really love the shapes! Had a tiny little polyp/coral pop up on day 2. Lots of algae coverage, including coralline. Very happy with this rock!!

Also added 40lbs of live sand, a bag of carbon, a Stealth Pro 200W heater, and a Koralia nano pump. Swapped out the bio-balls for live rubble & some Siporax ceramic media. I'm pleased to report the stock skimmer (Bubble-Magus NAC3+) is already producing nice foam.

I ended up not using the stock light tree cause it was delayed (I'm too impatient sometimes ;). Instead I used a heavy duty white 'shelf bracket' mounted into a wall stud. That light isn't going anywhere *heh*.

This bracket also came in handy as a place to mount the fan to excellent effect. When it is on, most of the water surface gets direct air flow. I think that it will do well when Summer hits. :)

I originally planned to run this with the glass canopy in place for my cat's safety. Turned out it wasn't needed; it's tall enough that he can't get in. At least he hasn't figured out how yet *heh*. I'm digging the open-top effect more than I thought I would.

Only downside is the dreaded daily evaporation. I'm currently exploring my auto top off options. So far I'm favoring Elos' OsmoController Digital. I like the idea of no moving parts that can get stuck. I also love the fact that it is visually minimalistic; so many of the ATO systems I've looked at are so unsightly I'd only use them in a sump *lol*.

Ok, enough rambling; here are the pics!!

White lights only on left, and full lights on right:

post-61780-1298228835_thumb.jpgpost-61780-1298230085_thumb.jpg

Funktastic Wint
My two cerith snails and margarita snail:

post-61780-1298235188_thumb.jpgpost-61780-1298235180_thumb.jpg

And last, the tiny polyp/coral that came out of the live rock:

post-61780-1298235211_thumb.jpg

i like that you can see in the chambers from the side

i like tthe rock a lot too

the rock rubble looks like a detritus trap from hell. I'd be careful with that.

*heh* It may just be temporary; it's all the rock from my old tank. Figured it couldn't be worse than junk-collecting-bio-balls. Thanks for the warning! :)

I'd wrap them up in a net of some-sort. Then you would be able to lift all of them out of the tank and give them a rinse with some tank water.

Is your first reef? Bioballs, and rubble, really aren't recommended for them. But if you feel like experimenting with it, go ahead.

I'd wrap them up in a net of some-sort. Then you would be able to lift all of them out of the tank and give them a rinse with some tank water.

Is your first reef? Bioballs, and rubble, really aren't recommended for them. But if you feel like experimenting with it, go ahead.

Kinda. My first saltwater tank was a BioUbe and I also have a Jelliquarium. But this is the first tank I've had with a sandbed. I'll get netting to make the biomedia easier to clean. But what other options do I have for utilizing this tickle-filter space? I'm very open to suggestions. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived