SaltCritters.com

my lighting evolution... onto MH

xtlosx

Hey Guys, I have a 36G bow tank, 30" x 10" x 15" (give or take), and it is positioned in my office on my desk. So far for lighting, I have gone from a 130W PC (not enough light), to a fishneedit 4 x 24W T5HO (not quite enough), and am going to be going to a fishneedit 150\250W MH pendant fixture... couple of questions.

Right now I am mainly interested in LPS which I know have a much lower lighting demand, and even less of a demand in care. I'm still a newb, so starting with hardier subjects makes life easier. I will eventually venture into clams, anemones, etc, but that is a bit down the road. I want to be prepared for that, so wondering at this point, do I just go with the 1x 250W fixture, or 1x 150W fixture? Will it cast enough light to get my entire tank? The idea being that I'll be mounting the fixture on the back of the tank right in the middle for now, and should I decide to add another one, they will be hung from above (ceiling). With the length\width of the fixture, they would take up 20" of my tank, leaving still room on the sides... Is 500W overkill for the tank? Right now with my T5HO, I have some spots that whether it be in the far back, or up front corners don't receive much light at all.. I'm trying to cure that so there are almost no dead spots in the tank.

Thanks!

I've had that tank. The center brace is an issue, but look at it this way:

LPS and some SPS near the top half: 150W x2

SPS throughout or clams on the bottom: 250W x2

The retros from hellolights are a great way to make a lot of light for not a lot of $, even if you get the ballasts at ballastwise. You could retro some actinic suppliments from either nanotuners or rapidled or piece together your own. Sky's the limit on that deep tank.

I've had that tank. The center brace is an issue, but look at it this way:

LPS and some SPS near the top half: 150W x2

SPS throughout or clams on the bottom: 250W x2

The retros from hellolights are a great way to make a lot of light for not a lot of $, even if you get the ballasts at ballastwise. You could retro some actinic suppliments from either nanotuners or rapidled or piece together your own. Sky's the limit on that deep tank.

Well, that plastic strip has been... well fixed... it's no longer present, so no problems there. I'll be suspending the lighting from above, so I will go with the 2x 250W fixtures. That way, I can do clams which in the end I have always wanted to do!

Thanks, appreciate the advice.

Archived