Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is that an emerald crab?

Dani3d

Take it back to the store and say they should stop giving away their inventory :lol: I am not for sure if it is some kind of matrix crab or not since it seems to have a lot of little hairs. It doesn't have black tips on it's pinchers so it isn't a gorilla crab. Do you have a sump you can put it in or even one of those type of cups that mini maxi anemones come in until you can find out for sure without letting it loose in your tank.

is that cupped? and sort of greenish legs. I don't have a sump, only a frag tank with as many coral as my main tank. It does not look like a matrix nor a gorilla crab.

_MG_2723.jpg?t=1298219144

Here is a crop of the previous photo:

_MG_2723crop.jpg?t=1298219764

how bout letting us see the claws? are they cupped?

those pincers are cupped though. this is an odd specimen...i've had very hairy legged mithrax...i can't tell for sure if the back is hairy but it sure looks it. I dunno...there are more mithrax crabs than just emeralds (i've had a red mithrax and purple mithrax), and with those cupped pincers i'd lean towards it being a cousin, but i don't like those eyes. are they red, or brown?

The eyes are more on the brown side, hard to tell and I don,t have a macro lens.

So what should I do with it? keep it or not? I don't have a sump, so not sure where to put it.

those pincers are cupped though. this is an odd specimen...i've had very hairy legged mithrax...i can't tell for sure if the back is hairy but it sure looks it. I dunno...there are more mithrax crabs than just emeralds (i've had a red mithrax and purple mithrax), and with those cupped pincers i'd lean towards it being a cousin, but i don't like those eyes. are they red, or brown?
danthenewreefman

believe I read the more hairy they are the more turbulent enviroment they came from. but that doesn't look exactly like an emerald to me, but similar -- probably right and it's same genus.

Looking at that pic of xanthid crab, it could be that as well.

I put it in my frag tank and will check each day for what it's eating. If I see any coral dammage he's out and I will have to destroy it. Would hate to do that but I don't have a sump, unless I find someone with a sump willing to accept it. He should be easy enough to capture in my frag tank.

Cute little bugger. He has molted during the night in the plastic pot and seem to have grown over night!

Hard to tell with all the substrate... pretty closely related, if it's not.

I saw it eat some hair algae (whole branch) and bryopsis off a rock. Good sign? He definitly likes vegetation. So far I have not seen it eat or attack any coral but I will keep en eye on him.

I saw it eat some hair algae (whole branch) and bryopsis off a rock. Good sign? He definitly likes vegetation. So far I have not seen it eat or attack any coral but I will keep en eye on him.

no matter what their natural diet is, if a crab gets hungry enough, it will eat anything. if you stop having enough algae, feed it some shrimp or something.

He just ate a bunch of nori.

I put some brine shrimp but he did not toutch it.

no matter what their natural diet is, if a crab gets hungry enough, it will eat anything. if you stop having enough algae, feed it some shrimp or something.
believe I read the more hairy they are the more turbulent enviroment they came from. but that doesn't look exactly like an emerald to me, but similar -- probably right and it's same genus.

Like Dad was a drunk and Mom was a Hooka?

in deed, that's what I was thinking it looked like.

No offense but I think I will stick to nori :)

oh, you don't know the joys of chopping up seafood for feeding your tank and corals :) right there's the best stuff you can make :)

Archived