inTank Media Baskets

Koralia Nano Heating up Water?

Gr8_Outdoorsman

phi delt reefer

what are you using to measure the temps with? Double check the temp with a second thermometer - preferably one of those old school red liquid mecury ones.

I read a few posts on this site where people were getting up to a 3-4 degree fluctuation in temp amongst various thermometers.

I just purchased a MJ900 for my AP12. So far its quiet, got tons of flow, and has dropped my water temp from the old current usa pump 2.5° even after adding a Koralia Nano. Running a beautiful and constant 78°.

My 2 Cents: Go with the MJ

I just tried the Rio 6HF for my BC 29 and WOW, that thing is incredibly loud. I made sure that it wasn't touching anything other than resting on the installed suction cups and still I could hear it running from my basement. So... it's going back for sure.

I'm thinking of trying one of these Any one have any feedback on them? Or I might just go with the MJ1200 as I know they're a great pump for the job.

Also, I've used the MJ900 on my BC14 and it ran perfectly for over 2 years. I also tried one of the Hydor Pico 1200's and was not impressed at all. It would be ok for a power head but not for a return pump in an all in one tank set up, at least that was my impression of it. The problem with it is it's max head capability, at only 28" compared to about 6 feet on other 300gph pumps.

I am running into the same issue with my tank heating up. My tank has been steady at 78 degrees since day one and today it jumped to 79.5 degrees. I checked the heater which is controlled by the RKL and it was not running. The lights had been off all night. I know the Vortech is not throwing heat in there. I have to think it is either the Tunze Nanosteam or the stock return pump. I ordered a Maxi Jet 1200 today to replace the stock pump and I am thinking about scrapping the Tunze Nanostream and just sticking with the Vortech. I am only running the Vortech at around 40% so I could just up the speed.

What do you guys think?

I just tried the Rio 6HF for my BC 29 and WOW, that thing is incredibly loud. I made sure that it wasn't touching anything other than resting on the installed suction cups and still I could hear it running from my basement. So... it's going back for sure.

I'm thinking of trying one of these Any one have any feedback on them? Or I might just go with the MJ1200 as I know they're a great pump for the job.

Also, I've used the MJ900 on my BC14 and it ran perfectly for over 2 years. I also tried one of the Hydor Pico 1200's and was not impressed at all. It would be ok for a power head but not for a return pump in an all in one tank set up, at least that was my impression of it. The problem with it is it's max head capability, at only 28" compared to about 6 feet on other 300gph pumps.

thats weird, mine is dead silent and has been since i opened it.

I am running into the same issue with my tank heating up. My tank has been steady at 78 degrees since day one and today it jumped to 79.5 degrees. I checked the heater which is controlled by the RKL and it was not running. The lights had been off all night. I know the Vortech is not throwing heat in there. I have to think it is either the Tunze Nanosteam or the stock return pump. I ordered a Maxi Jet 1200 today to replace the stock pump and I am thinking about scrapping the Tunze Nanostream and just sticking with the Vortech. I am only running the Vortech at around 40% so I could just up the speed.

What do you guys think?

not too sure about the stock return pump on your tank, but i would just use the vortech w/ the MJ as the new return pump.

Gr8_Outdoorsman

I plugged everything back in and got up to 85 deg today.... I've unplugged one power head and the temp has dropped to 84 now. As soon as I can get my hands on one, I'm going to try the MJ900.

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Well I picked up a MJ900 today and installed it. I also removed the 90 degree elbow fitting and hooked the hose straight to nozzle. I plugged both power heads back in and am curious what my temps will be tomorrow.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure the MJ900 is pushing more water than the stock pump did even though the stock pump was rated higher.

Thank you for the heads up on the Pico 1200. My only concern is that, from what I read, the output was much less than the 900 and the stock pump. Although they claimed 300gph, some people didn't feel that it was anywhere close to that....

Any experience?

I tried the pico 1200 and I can tell you my experience......its nowhere NEAR 300gph. I tried it and a MJ 1200 in my mixing vat and the difference was huge and obvious. I then tried the MJ 900 up against the pico and again no comparison. I took it back.

Archived