inTank Media Baskets

Starburst polyps not opening again

picoreef78

Zooanthids opening, StarBurst polyps have not opened in three days.

Have had them for a week and a half, they have been open, took a couple of days since new frags added.

PH 8.2, NH3, NO2, NO3 all 0, p 1.0026, recent water change, but had been closed prior.

Also added Instant Ocean Reef Accelerator.

Thinking maybe lighting but some other users have success with equivalent lighting

2 MR 11 LED 6500, 160 lumens each, two 452nm blue.

One fish in quarintine for ich, new fish placed yesterday Maroon Clownfish.

Multiple hermits, one crab (live rock from Playa del Carmen Mex), one peppermint shrimp, one new hermit crab from Petstore (don't know what kind yet).

Zooanthids opening, StarBurst polyps have not opened in three days.

Have had them for a week and a half, they have been open, took a couple of days since new frags added.

PH 8.2, NH3, NO2, NO3 all 0, p 1.0026, recent water change, but had been closed prior.

Also added Instant Ocean Reef Accelerator.

Thinking maybe lighting but some other users have success with equivalent lighting

2 MR 11 LED 6500, 160 lumens each, two 452nm blue.

It to me does not look bright enough in the tank.. look at most others on here.. Although we all have some dark spots in our tank, that entire left side is dark in the picture...

Can you find out what type of lighting conditions/time of lighting where you got the frag from? They could be shocked at a complete different light cycle.

Depending on the polyp and how long its been around.. sometimes mine go into hiding until the next day after a water change.

They had metal halide over the tank, about 5 ft.

They actually open for a week, then recently closed.

3 in on both ends of the tank are underlit. the center part is not.

It does look like there might be the onset of some gha on the frag itself.. that really irritates polyps.. it is kind of tough to judge from looking at the photo

You said you have a lot of hermits. They could be consistently wandering over them, closing them up. I had a blue legged hermit start picking at some of my zoas once. That could potentially piss them off and close them up.

It to me does not look bright enough in the tank.. look at most others on here.. Although we all have some dark spots in our tank, that entire left side is dark in the picture...

Can you find out what type of lighting conditions/time of lighting where you got the frag from? They could be shocked at a complete different light cycle.

Depending on the polyp and how long its been around.. sometimes mine go into hiding until the next day after a water change.

I agree. The lighting looks a bit dim and not fully covering the tank.The fact that it was open could be just that it took a while for the low lighting to start having a negative affect. What size tank is it?

thanks, you have some mad skills with the DIY Cree LED lighting.

Thanks, I just wanted it as easy as possible. The PVC legs seemed to be the cheapest and easiest.

I'm assuming that's a typo? If not... yeah.

Anyway, I had a colony of GSP in my tank for about a month. Open night and day, flowing in the current. Then they randomly closed up for a good week or so for no apparent reason. Nothing had been added, parameters hadn't changed, and nothing was picking at them. Then they opened back up and haven't closed since.

Star polyps are strange like that. I wouldn't freak out about it too much unless you see some distinct "melting" of the mat (it's receding, turning white, etc). Give them a week or so to see if they come back. I agree with others on here - upgrade your lighting. The T5HO should be more than fine for star polyps. Also, you may want to increase flow on them. As another reefer mentioned, it looks like there is a smidge of algae on them. Star polyps hate algae, which is why they love flow. Get a nice current running over them and they should open up and be happy.

I have a korelia nano 240 gph blowing over him. My zoas have more hair algae, get trampled on by the hermit crabs and open right back up.

Thanks

I have a korelia nano 240 gph blowing over him. My zoas have more hair algae, get trampled on by the hermit crabs and open right back up.

Thanks

the nano 240 shouldnt be an issue.. it is not as direct as my maxijet and mine love the maxijet blasting away on em!

the freshwater on the left.. saltwater on the right

freshvssalt.jpg

thats with T5HO and LED's..

edit: and i live right off of a state road, troopers drive by frequent enough at night.. the glow has not caused any extra attention to me.

Archived