Coral Vue Hydros

Magik's Macro Cube

Magiksurfman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Magiksurfman

Yeah i kinda fell off... my laptop with all the pics i had on this tank ate it ... actually slammed shut never to boot up again and no backup... typical me. I got all bummed out and stopped taking pictures and started neglecting that little tank not to mention ive turned back into a beach bum. Went from a gha problem to now a cyano- dino -green mold thing going on in that tank. I think is majorly due to the fact i have no fast growing algae to suck up the nutrients fast enough that go into the tank. Another may be old bulbs

(i got the stuff used after all), but with no skimmer or any other method of filtration i can see how the funk would build up. But the tank is still young and i agree with ciedre. ill see if i can upload some pics tonight though with a warning their kinda nasty... if the desktop doesn't get drop-kicked between now and then.

If you have a fully stocked tank of fish and corals within 12 months of setting up your tank, don’t be surprised if you suffer from nuisance algae’s and Cyano bacteria!!!!
Magiksurfman

June 2011 Update

So here's the tank... two new pairs have come in a pair of Black Clowns+ GBTA and A pair of Arrow Crabs, i added a clean up crew mainly smaller snails due to a gha outbreak i had i moved most of my macros to the fuge in my reef tank only because i have some sort of nuisance unidentified thing/s i need to take care of. I also added some lR i kind of want to add more to bring it up higher i found that the mystery algae i had really likes high light and was dying away because my lighting wasnt strong enough also my blue scroll never turned blue up until i moved it up onto the returns. i Honestly dont know why i have that guppy breeder box floating with cheato in it i rigged my sump two weeks ago to hold cheato.

FTS

db0fb3a2.jpgd2e724e0.jpg

This is the Pair of Arrow crabs i put in last month which were supposed to move back to the tang food tank after my clown pair made it through quarantine.... which now since theyve been in there for a month no problems might stay.

70f79772.jpg

1db6b338.jpg

631e56ee.jpg

fa1c6c7a.jpg

So here's a closeup of the nasties im dealing with aside from gha, newly-found aptaisia and probably byropsis this green mold looking stuff on my rocks and this fuzz im kinda stumped whith i think it may be dino or cyano but i really havnt spent the time to research it to fix it... im slackin.

00673ae7.jpg

f60a2712.jpg

So here is the Fuzz Note: this is the fuzz on the glass i only cleaned the glass to take pics and didnt touch the sand bed or rocks in order to id but apparently this fuzz learned my light schedule and even though my lights

didn't turn off the fuzz disappeared at the time my lights were supposed to turn off and im pretty sure it comes back when my lights turn on in the morning whether or not they actually turn on ... kinda weird.

this picture was taken before i cleaned my glass and you can see its on the sand bed but in my fts pics its gone

DSC03435.jpg

So because i realized i didnt take any pics of my new clowns and the lights were still on (woops)... heres this

http://youtu.be/qhTIP4LhKgk my first YouTube video whoo!

I just read this topic and I've learned a great deal. Nice to see it on the rebound.

The seahorse story was priceless. Reminds me of when my best friend's son dropped an entire container of fish food into my planted tank. Talk about ammonia spike! Nuked my tank.

Will make a note regarding bristle worms and watch for their evilness in my new setup. Will keeeel them ALL!! :devil:

EDIT: Nano-reef really needs a maniacal emoticon.

omgomgomg

Thank you!

Question: How are the arrowline crabs doing? So far, ok? I've heard that they are bad for reefs. Literature is mixed.

Liz

Magiksurfman
Thank you!

Question: How are the arrowline crabs doing? So far, ok? I've heard that they are bad for reefs. Literature is mixed.

Liz

They are still doing good, ive caught the big one make sudden jerks when my clowns get near its pincers but no real motivated attempts to make a kill yet. i think the jerks are just a reflex like a alligator or snapping turtle clamping its jaws down when something brushes up against its mouth. They stay pretty well fed with bristle-worms and the occasional pellet the fish miss. I also think they dont make a move because its a big risk to try and catch one of my clowns which are the only ones brave enough to go near the pincers. A big risk because those clowns are pretty strong they already give a mean bite, if the arrow crab didnt do it right the clowns may make off with an arm or a leg.

the clown goby just doesnt go near the pinchers i think he knows it means death

and the highfin goby is too skiddish to hang out long enough to get caught. i dont have hermits because of the macros but i did add snails but they all seem to be there... i didnt add many ... turbos didnt work out i think they are to blame for some of my missing macros.

i have a red more orange monti cap in there some acans , mushrooms and zoas and a gbta in there all fine no arrow crab attacks.

Bristleworms seem to be controlled now though i have not put feeding algae like gracilaria or ulva back in the tank yet.

My biggest problem and eye sore is that brown stuff on my rocks and sand which im pretty sure is not cyano ive had cyano before but none this bad.

but i havnt done anything to try and fix it yet ive just done some searches to try and ID it.

In other news IM GOING TO SIX FLAGS TODAY! woot! woot! hopefully its as kick-ass as i remember it.

Hope fully i dont get sick on the rides ha ha....

Hope you enjoyed Six Flags. I love roller coasters. How come no hermits? Was looking at a couple of Caribbean species for my macro algae, seagrass, biotope, reef mess. :lol: They can do damage, but are ok if they are in small numbers and to not mix species.

Will look into arrowlines as I think they could be cool, and especially if bristle worms are going to be that big of a problem.

Looking forward to the July update.

Magiksurfman

Added two FNG's Yesterday and lost one... bummer.

761a4118.jpg

I think tail Spot Blenny i need to get a look at his tail again if he ever gets out of his caves. (i should learn to take pictures before i add them to the tank) dd3c9b88.jpg

39b180e1.jpg

and a Neoglyphidodon nigroris wife picked him out to bring color into the tank ... its kinda funny he's going to end up black like the rest of the fish in the tank.17097fb7.jpg

Mrs Arrow crab she kicked the bucket yesterday. Bristle worms getting back for all their homies they lost to her. RIP MRS Crab. I'm not sure why she died she came out as i finished acclimating the two new guys i thought maybe she was hungry then noticed her in the corner thought she might be getting ready to molt but she started moving slow ... well slower than normal then twitched then stopped moving , the only thing i added was those two new guys and the water change was last week. Looks like i might have to knock the dust off my test kits Or start night spot feeding the crabs but i dont think that's the case. 04d355dc.jpg

The Fuzz mess that covered the tank i ended up vacuuming up last week with a water change and got most of it out but it seems that the stuff i couldn't get out is seeding the tank and its slowly creeping back.

Poor Mr Arrow Crab, looks so lonely

976b639f.jpg

and some yellow sponges i found under the moss fuzz mess.

cb71879f.jpg

d1fe7f9a.jpg

Magiksurfman

Confirmed Tail Spot Blenny ... didnt know the name the LFS Dude said it was an eyelash blenny... kinda threw me off

f4c01cab.jpg

Shame about Mrs. Crab. Do you think perhaps natural lifespan?

Not really sure, i think somewhere i read they have a 1yr lifespan i don't remember if it was official or very credible though the lady at Petco when i got it said she had been trying to get rid of her for 3 months.

• 2 weeks later...
Confirmed Tail Spot Blenny ... didnt know the name the LFS Dude said it was an eyelash blenny... kinda threw me off

f4c01cab.jpg

Not really sure, i think somewhere i read they have a 1yr lifespan i don't remember if it was official or very credible though the lady at Petco when i got it said she had been trying to get rid of her for 3 months.

The tank's looking great.

• 1 month later...

Archived