Coral Vue Hydros

Magik's Macro Cube

Magiksurfman

Current FTS 6-29-2011

bdf4295a.jpg

Tank started Jan 2011

Will hyperlink each to my pics probably jacked the names up, please help id.

---

• Equipment
  • Current Satellite 2x40w PC
  • Current Satellite 1x40w PC
  • Logisys 12" 18 LED 1blue 1uv Sunlight Sticks
  • Sedra KSP-3500 closed loop (for now)
  • 100w Stealth Heater( pretty much off, to make sure the temp doesn't drop below 72)
  • JBJ digital thermomete
  • DIY Auto topoff

Livestock

• Inverts
  • x2 Sexy Anemone Shrimp (Thor amboinensis) lost one
  • Pair Arrow Crabs
  • Red Banded Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus randalli)
  • x2 Margarita Snail (Margarites pupillus)
  • ? Cerith Snail (Cerithium sp.)
  • ? Nassarius Snail (Nassarius vibex)
  • Astrea snail
  • Margarita snail
  • Nerite snail
  • mystery bivalve hitchiker
  • mystery tunicate sponge hitchiker
  • Blue sponge Moved to reef tank suspect needed a more stable/mature tank

Corals-My frag garden (changes month to month either usually traded out or moved to 90)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someones sure to be like " what were you doing in a freshwater forum? :slap: "

here's the thread http://socalaquascapers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8878

and heres the Most recent FTS i got while i work on the Move

DSC03117.jpg

thanks SbCaes.

whew! that wasnt so bad. hmmm ... i think i might have to do some tinkering with the way i posted the build, my posts are merging .... work in progress i guess.

I've been surfing the net looking for a Macro Algae tank community, i think i might have found it. :happydance:

Would sure help with troubleshooting and other issues that are sure to come down the line, I've already started my build thread on a different forum so i just gotta get everything transfered over . . . will probly end up jumping ship, that forum isn't bad it just isn't active in the Macro Algae arena.

The Beginning

So the Macro algae bug bite me and i decided to build my tank.

PAUSE...REWIND<<<

So my wife wants me to convert our 16gal Guppy tank to a Nano seahorse tank so i'm gonna start researching >>>dang those seahorses are Needy little things>>> wow look at how nice these macro algeas look>>>chomp!>>>seahorses are on the back burner time to build a macro tank >>>

PLAY>

Heres the Guppy tank.

PIC_0341.jpg

PIC_0342.jpg

PIC_0343.jpg

PIC_0345.jpg

PIC_0349.jpg

PIC_0353.jpg

PIC_0362.jpg

PIC_0364.jpg

PIC_0365.jpg

PIC_0366.jpg

PIC_0367.jpg

PIC_0374.jpg

The 16 gal Nano Seahorse Lagoon build- but wait the title sais Macro Cube?... Patience!

PIC_0418.jpg

PIC_0417.jpg

PIC_0416.jpg

PIC_0413.jpg

PIC_0392.jpg

PIC_0383.jpg

PIC_0380.jpg

The bug bite me right about here...

The Inspiration

Macrotankmature0001.jpg

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1905760

The Replacement

DSC05002.jpg

The Macro Cube Build

Teaching myself to use Google sketchup...paintjob and overflow

MacroCube.png

THE STAND

DSC02963.jpg

DSC02964.jpg

DSC02966.jpg

THE TANK - drilled overflow box installed rough plumbing started

DSC02970.jpg

DSC02971.jpg

DSC02967.jpg

DSC02968.jpg

DSC02969.jpg

omgomgomg KICKOFF JAN 24th 2011 omgomgomg

DSC029752.jpg

DSC029762.jpg

DSC029772.jpg

DSC029782.jpg

DSC029792.jpg

DSC029802.jpg

DSC029812.jpg

As of Feb 5th... still in the works, the sump build and ATO system build , list of hardware and livestock, and of course funds for my new addiction.

FEB 2011Updates

*The 150 watt Sunpod proved to be too much for the tank switched it back to the 80 Watt PC fixture the tank came with

*lined the inside of overflow box black pvc netting to deter loose plants or adventurous fish from getting sucked into the return pump until sump is completed

New livestock added

*Pair sexy shrimp

*Yellow Rose/ High-fin goby from 95 display he was too small and shy for that tank he'd get lost for days before we could spot him again

*Black clown Goby

*small pistol shrimp- a buddy for the Hi-fin have yet to find each other.

*Blue sponge- hopefully this does well in the tank took a risk here.

*2 Margarita snails- gonna take it slow here dont want to throw in something thats going to make the display lunch.

New Macro

*Small Codium

*Green Fern

need to spend some time on algeabase.org to properly id and put together names

*moved the Halimeda to my 95's fuge since it was turning white on me. its coming around.

The light swap 80w 2x 10,000k/6500k pc fixture

DSC03117.jpgDSC03120.jpg

DSC03121.jpg

DSC03122.jpg

One of My Sexy's

DSC03123.jpg

The hitchhikers- some sort of clam/Scallop 4 Palys

DSC03104.jpg

Black Clown Goby center frame , he doesn't leave that back wall ... when he does he jumps right back before i can snap a pic

DSC03210.jpg

The High-Fin Goby

DSC03097.jpg

Later in Feb

glass is getting dirty to lazy to clean, top down shot

DSC03173-1.jpg

better shot of those hitchhiker palys

DSC03169-1.jpg

and the new sexy hangout

DSC03167-1.jpg

Local fish store, Pet Kingdom they hooked it up with most my reds for less than the shipping i paid on either of the two orders i put in online. I'll throw together a list of what i got and where i got it, pretty soon, though ive got lots going on, thats why im slackin on the new pics.....Whateva its my Birthday, I Do What i Want!

• 3 weeks later...
Magiksurfman

long night i guess my bad, im starting to doubt its nemostoma getting mixed close pic id's but

heres those pics i took ill list the names as i figure them out.

DSC03151.jpg

DSC03155.jpg

DSC03157.jpg

DSC03161.jpg

DSC03162.jpg

DSC03146.jpg

DSC03147.jpg

DSC03148.jpg

DSC03149.jpg

DSC03150.jpg

Magiksurfman

Thanx Weet ...

.... alot moved in this month the Stary Dragonet , The seahorse that was the drive for this project , some shrooms/zoos and another set of hitchhiker palys from my reef over, finally got the pic of the pistol hi-fin will post pics tonight after class have to study for the test for now...and im back here goes.

A Kellogi- seahorse had this little guy since November the reef tank proved to be a guantlet so he's been chillin in my quarantine tank turned into green water/cheato tank (its meant for gracilaria and ulva for my tangs but im yet to get a hold of enough to start ) just and airstone and lights living off pods

DSC03214.jpg

since we have a pair of mandarins in the reef i was trying to convince the wife to rehome this dragonet , i wasnt successful so it hung out in the fuge to my reef tank living off pods

DSC03205.jpg

they both eat mysis if your wondering but so long as there is critters on the glass i let em hunt down their food Au-natural. waiting on the wifes to come back with her iphone the pix i took with the cybershot suk

Magiksurfman

March 2011 Updates

Here we go the new FTS ... weak sauce some of the pics came out a bit fuzzy .... i gotta drink less coffee

IMG_0357.jpgIMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

Rabidgerbil38

Love the tank! I was thinking about doing a tank like this with my old 10g. The red macro looks amazing, and I like your horse very much. What do you feed him? or do you just keep a big copepod pop in tank?

• 3 weeks later...
Magiksurfman

April 2011 Updates

Left to Right TS

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0774.jpgIMG_0775.jpg

- ordered 4 macros Red spotted, Red fern, red dictyota,and blue ochtodes the ochtodes didnt make it neither did the dictyota and the fern looks rough but looks like it may come around the red spotted looks unphased. DSC03290-1.jpg

DSC03290.jpg

DSC03289.jpg

DSC03288.jpg

- had to move the rocks around to catch Panda

- the sandbed is growing cyano in response to my 10000k6500k lighting so i changed it to full actinic for now(just have to see how everything reacts). The bulbs are new, but so is the tank, so i expect to see alot of these first 6 month nasties , i've got a some gha growing on the overflow hopefully it calms down now that i have ulva in the tank (it took forever to grow out in my reef tank overflow) but im not sweatin it. I'd normally try and make these nasties grow faster by blasting them with light that way they starve them-selfs out but a macro tank is a different animal than a reef. Throwing phos remover and an algae crew in there isn't an option either. Gonna try and fight algea with algea well see how it goes.

took some things out

-the green monty didn't like the tank so its back in my 90 untill i complete my sump so i can move the heater out of the way.

-the green fern looks like its withering away so its back in my 90's fuge to be blasted with light untill it recovers so it can go higher in the macro tank

- some macros were moved / trimmed when i caught panda and were put in my gracilaria tank.

New Adds

-red fern algae

-ulva grown in my reef overflow on styrofoam

-red spotted algae

-Panda goby noticed he wasn't eating and thinning out so he was put in a tank i have growing Gracilaria, for my Tang, thats crawling with pods. i also am looking to add one more pc fixture to the tank that way i can support sps coral so i can get him a nice little pocillopora frag but i might just add another piece of live rock from my 90 to make my little mound higher. I cant put things on magnets except for on the back of the tank kinda hard to get to because i have two little gremlins (kids) that will pull the magnets off and possibly scratch the tank up more than it already is.

- halimeda coraline is doin a good job growing i figure ill throw halimeda in again this time a different type not sure if i like the way the other one grows.

- blue ricordea

-Ive been practicing my fragging some of the stuff i have in my 90 gal and ive got a little frag garden going now, thats kinda neat, but i'm having a hard time keeping track of what all things are new for this month, but i listed and hyperlinked almost everything in the tank on my first post of the thread in case i miss something. If it isnt linked its cause i dont have a good picture of it or im waiting for it to grow out or do a little better.

th_IMG_0739.jpg

th_IMG_0738.jpg

th_IMG_0733.jpg

th_IMG_0729.jpg

th_IMG_0594.jpg

th_IMG_0592.jpg

th_IMG_0532.jpgth_IMG_0771.jpg

th_IMG_0752.jpg

th_IMG_0748.jpg

lmk if you guys think the click on thumbnails are better i dont like how it opens a new window

or i can always just share the albums and see all the stuff i didnt post like this for March

Builder Anthony

Panda goby thatz cool.Try feeding him cyclops.I have some yellow clowns and tahats all they will eat.Another name is called cyclop-plez or look for something like taht they are cyclops.Mine have been in the tank about a week but they seem more relaxed now and actually part of the system now.How much was he?

Magiksurfman

The dragonet demolished all those pods it went from looking like my tank was going to crawl away to rarely finding a stray tiny copepod the good thing is she eats frozen mysis that fatty they never stop eating just like cows. With the panda, i tried cyclops ,baby brine/frozen& live, mysis , frozen rotifiers, fromula one pellets and even flake food he doesn't seem to be hungry so i moved him to my tang food tank thats crawling with all sorts of pods to see if the little guy will make it. you know how you hear when buying saltwater livestock is like buying drugs. i feel like i bought a rock of crack the little guy is smaller than any three of my sexy shrimp and was $20. Really hope he makes it, he is real fun to watch, kinda goofy looking and i just picked him up a pink and green pocillopora. i wonder if these guys have bad eyesight his eyes have kind of a blank look to them, kinda like this smiley :eek:.

Magiksurfman

Thanks , heres a list of my sources theres a couple of other places i'm eyeballing macros at, but these are the only guys i've actually got macros from, a big Thank You goes out to them for stocking my tank. Dont know of anyone local thats interested in macros besides for the folks askin' for pifs of course.

Petkingdom one of my lfs

Vets Pets another lfs

LaReefs.com

Reefcleaners.org

Macroman2000 eBay

AquariumExperts couple of guys on my local forum, have a little business and do weekly runs to LA

Archived