Top Shelf Aquatics

i have to brag, haha (:

Dr.eclipse

so today my lfs had a grand reopening so i went and i picked up a diamond head sleeper goby and a white pistol shrimp for 20$

they are already making borrows and are doing great!

so today my lfs had a grand reopening so i went and i picked up a diamond head sleeper goby and a white pistol shrimp for 20$

they are already making borrows and are doing great!

Nice. Any pics?

Nice find, but mine was better.....

Walked into petco tonight, seen they had a really nice GBTA in, but there was a Condy Nem Sticker on the front of the tank, well long story short I got it for $7.99.

Either the dumb employee sold the Condy as the bubble or some little kid pulled the tag out when he walked by (lower tank).

Either or, not my problem.

Sorry to hear about your purchase. I bought a $12 tiger pistol shrimp about 4 months ago for my $9 tiger pistol shrimp and absolutely loved them for a little while. Now I just wish the shrimp would die so that my sandbed could be left in peace. I can't even keep a coral frag on the sand for more than a day without it being burried in sand and knocked over.

It's a 20 long tank and since my pistol won't really let me keep much coral in it, I ordered a GBTA for this tank since the BTAs like to stay off the sand.

Hopefully yours turns out better than mine and things go well, the tahitian moon sand looks really nice, this is what I have in my 36g bowfront. At first I got it because I thought black sand would really bring out the colors of coral and purple rocks once coralline takes over all my base rock. I started to regret spending $75 on a 4" deep bed of expensive tahitian moon and even though about removing it to go with white sand because the black was absorbing a lot of light from the t5's

Now that my tank is much more established, the sand bed is full of beutiful ricordias, zoas, acans, etc, and the tank is now equipped with much brighter MH 150w 14000k lights, I absolutely love my moon sand.

pictures, as promised.

goby.

DSC030112.jpg

DSC030152.jpg

pistol shrimp

DSC030212.jpg

i couldnt get a picture of them together, but i will try again later.

looks good mine cost about 50 for the pair and that's pretty consistent around here for a decent pair. they do go as low as 30 but they are real real small at that price. I love my pair they made a mess at first but now they just stir enough to keep everything nice and clean.

i had a diamond goby for a week. jumped out six times and the last time i couldnt save it and he ended up dried out on the carpet. get a lid!

yeah im terrified its going to jump out, but the way my lights are mounted a standard lid wouldnt be able to fit. ill have to rig somthing, i geuss. and soon.

Diamond gobies are notorious jumpers. Get a TIGHT fitting lid on that tank ASAP. They will find any hole they can fit through.

Also, hate to break it to you, but diamond gobies aren't shrimp gobies. That fish will not pair up with that shrimp. Diamond Gobies also aren't good nano fish. They require a lot of food that a nano's sandbed can't give them. They also get huge...like 8"+ huge.

I'd take it back or trade it for a real shrimp goby.

I too got rid of my pistol/goby pair to save the corals on the sand bed. My pistol shrimp was a digoholic. He can turn the sandbed upside down over night. He works like little bulldozer and nice to watch. But, lack of real estate prompted me to sell the pair.

Diamond gobies are notorious jumpers. Get a TIGHT fitting lid on that tank ASAP. They will find any hole they can fit through.

Also, hate to break it to you, but diamond gobies aren't shrimp gobies. That fish will not pair up with that shrimp. Diamond Gobies also aren't good nano fish. They require a lot of food that a nano's sandbed can't give them. They also get huge...like 8"+ huge.

I'd take it back or trade it for a real shrimp goby.

I did this with a blue spotted jaw fish.....thought it couldnt happen to me..next day he was on the floor like a crusty booger. Bad Bad choice not to lid the tank completly.

Funny thing is I actually had only 2 inches of the from of my BC29 uncovered with a sheet of glass and he still jumped out. (I didnt have a stock hood, just a peice of glass to fit)

Archived