Pod Your Reef

My new pico idea

Formula462

so i was thinking the other day when i was in my bathroom watching my girlfriend put her contacts in, how cool would it be too use her contact cases as a sweet ass pico!? i could use the L side as the main display, probably put in a few sexy shrimp, possibly a couple porcelain crabs finished off with some nice zoas in the sand bed (maybe even a mini-nem if the cards play out!) :lol: .

i was thinking about 1 gram of cured LR, possibly marshall but i'm not sure yet.for filtration i would plumb over to the R side with some super thin airline tubing, and set up my return/sump chamber. i might even section off a fourth of it just for a sweet fuge with a small chaeto ball. do they make maxi-jet negative 1200's yet? i'm probably only going to have one fish, i was thinking a firefish because they are so pretty but i hear they jump :o so i'm probably just gonna go with a mandarin. before you guys flame me just know that i have extensive skills in hand training dragonets to feed on frozen mysis and finely diced hebrew nationals.

my lighting plan is using 12 cree CW paired with 16 RB and 10 TV and possibly even a 2 bulb t-5 HO accent light with maybe some fiji pink bulbs and another actinic paired with some Boost bulbs on 60 degrees ( i'll use a simple home depot fixture for those :P)

i know such a small setup can be a challenge and you guys think i'm karazy, but i really think with proper daily dosing, strict WC's and controlled feedings, i can really get this thing to thrive. i never thought i would want a pico, but it looks like the bug has bitten me! tell me what you think guys, i would appreciate any help or advice from you fellow picoers'.

I really want to know WTF is going to in your head?!?!?!?!

nothing out of the normal i don't think. just the usual red stuff and tetrahydrocannabinol. you don't think it can work?!!?!

This is why I try to stay away from the computer when I am nodding off, bad things tend to happen.

One time I ordered 20 large dominos pizza's online with my credit card. I was wondering were all the pizza came from the next morning.

Now I just hide my wallet from myself just in case I get a stupid idea.

lol i actually asked my friend google to get me a fail pic so i could stamp this thread with it.

damn man, you are so effing cool it makes me sick. anyway, quit shi-tting on my thread if you're not gonna offer up some helpful advice. this could make me man. i would have the most nano nano on nano reef. wait a minute!!! what if i just used the actual contacts themselves!?!?!?!??! YOU CAN SEE THROUGH THEM! OMG, i'm gonna go mock something up.

hell yeah man. push that envelope. seriously.

The Haut gets it.

im sorry if i hurt you feelings :(. sometimes i can be a little harsh.

it's ok just chillax man. :grouphug:

edit: i just read your sig, now i see who you copied!! good for you!

bump for some help. you see THIS is why people don't use the forum specific threads anymore. should have put it in general if i really wanted help. i'm starting to worry that i am in over my head.

bump for some help. you see THIS is why people don't use the forum specific threads anymore. should have put it in general if i really wanted help. i'm starting to worry that i am in over my head.

Taco Tuesday :ninja:

bwoodward0012

you should probably dose like .1 mil of bright well liquid reef a day and you could go all sps with this thing, like growin out of the display and stuff. and go with 12 mangroves in your fuge, forget the chaeto. maybe you could incorporate some macros into your display too.....

now i want to do one myself, but im thinking inside a a pair of contacts ive siliconed together and make it self sustaining. ;)

...just the usual red stuff and tetrahydrocannabinol....

LOL, yeah it really expands the mind and allows you to think outside of the box!!!! B)

I really like this idea, but have you thought about plumbing the contact case into a larger sump? You could probably make a really effective sump out of a coke can or something, maybe even set up as a mangrove-biotope-fuge sorta thing too. Then you could use both the L and R side of the contact case for displays (maybe set up a different species-specific habitat in each side) and then still have a large water volume to keep everything stable. Keeping the water stable is the hardest part about keeping a pico you know. If this was my project, I would put a few NPS species (dendro, sun coral, etc) in one side and maybe a small SPS frag (GARF bonsai acro????) in the other side. Also, I would forgo the LEDs and T5 accent lights and probably throw a 250W metal halide over the tank. If you think it's possible you might want to throw a crocea or something in there later, then go ahead and step up to a 400W halide.

Are you going to go bare-bottom on this tank? Honestly, I would go with crushed coral... if you get large enough crushed coral then you wouldn't need any rockscaping in your tank.

Anyways, this plan sounds sick!!!! Good luck!!!!

:D

man you guys are really mean.... totally high school :PB)

take a picture and let us see how big this really is... I would love to try this. Maybe a sacrifice zoa frag would be in the works. If you really want to try and are willing to put the effort I don't see why this wouldn't work, at least temporarily. Evaporation will be your main concern and with a "container" of this size a missed application would pretty much spell disaster. As for capable species I would highly commend yellow polyps because there impossible to kill.

sometimes we should be a little more encouraging... A few years ago they mocked us for even trying to keep coral; nonetheless in picos. Look were we are at now.

man you guys are really mean.... totally high school :PB)

take a picture and let us see how big this really is... I would love to try this. Maybe a sacrifice zoa frag would be in the works. If you really want to try and are willing to put the effort I don't see why this wouldn't work, at least temporarily. Evaporation will be your main concern and with a "container" of this size a missed application would pretty much spell disaster. As for capable species I would highly commend yellow polyps because there impossible to kill.

sometimes we should be a little more encouraging... A few years ago they mocked us for even trying to keep coral; nonetheless in picos. Look were we are at now.

you are right about the evap. that's been my number one concern other than how to control the dosing on a consistent level. i really like the suggestion i read about the sps. the more i try to talk myself out of it, the more i feel the itch to challenge. i'm not sure at all what i could use as an ato with reservoirs so small. possibly set up some sort of system with a pipette full of RO and one of those toy birds with the liquid inside them that makes them "bob" back and forth continually. just position it where every 5 seconds or so he pushes the pipette with his beak, keeping a steady one drop drip. might even have to use a 2 litre and plump it to the pipette. i'll hide the bottle under the stand somehow so you can't see it. i feel the ATO bird-dripper would be a nice conversation piece aside from the tank itself.

My LFS had an aptasia in a specimen jar which was alive for like a month with no water change, food or light. I think you should set up a little aptasia in it personally. THOSE are impossible to kill.

No way, no aptasia in this bad boy. Such a small system is gonna be hard enough. Couldn't imagine having to battle an aptasia problem too.

Wow this is a crazy idea. And not to be mean but I have no idea how you think this is going to work (Keep in mind im not a know it all in this subject) But a contact case? I will subscribe to this thread to see what you come up with. But why a contact case, you could probably get a nice clear bottle and do it in that.

Thanks,

Trever

Edit: And how did you think you were going to keep a fish or shrimp in there? Again not trying to be mean just a question

Archived