ReefCleaners.org

The "Mini" World! PIX!(rimless 10g build)

Mini-Dude

IMHO, it's worth it to save up for a few more months and get the right thank, rather than having to buy another one later. As others have said, "do it right the first time". If you want to stick with the CF-Quad due to a budget I can completely understand because that's what I had to do when I first started this hobby. I just eased my parents into the cost slowly over time. They used to say "$20 for a clownfish? Yeah right", then "$100 for an anemone? Ha", but now they say "Wow! $300 for a pair of Picassos... Not bad!" :lol:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong, you can run a reef with PC lighting and it's just as much fun, but when you want to keep SPS, clams, or anemones it makes you sad because you can't have them... then you buy another tank with HQI! :lol:

Here's my RSM 130 with 110w 50/50 PC after two years:

IMHO, it's worth it to save up for a few more months and get the right thank, rather than having to buy another one later. As others have said, "do it right the first time". If you want to stick with the CF-Quad due to a budget I can completely understand because that's what I had to do when I first started this hobby. I just eased my parents into the cost slowly over time. They used to say "$20 for a clownfish? Yeah right", then "$100 for an anemone? Ha", but now they say "Wow! $300 for a pair of Picassos... Not bad!" :lol:

Let me tell you right now. I don't have supportive parents. There moto is "you get what you pay for" so I always have to buy with my own money except for holidays. That's why I have a budget. What's the review o. The street now about the NC HQI

Let me tell you right now. I don't have supportive parents. There moto is "you get what you pay for" so I always have to buy with my own money except for holidays. That's why I have a budget. What's the review o. The street now about the NC HQI

NanoCube HQI overheats really bad. You would need a chiller which costs upwards of $200. :(

EDIT: Unless you live in Alaska... or someplace that's cold all year.

Deleted User 6

Enough with the non-supportive parents. If they weren't supportive, you'd be in a group home.

Have you thought through all the expenses with setting up this new tank? You're looking at $350 for the tank. Now what about salt, rock, coral, fish, heater, powerhead, refractometer, test kits...on and on. That #### adds up extremely fast. I figure about $100 per gallon for my tanks. So for a 29g I'd be all in for about $2900 when the tank is mature.

Do you think I'm better off finding the NC tank without hood and going T5-HO imeditly? No dis but I don't like BC's

Buy a NC, take the hood off (it's really easy... I accidentally knocked one off the display at a LFS), then add your T5 fixture. Then you could keep clams, nems, and most corals. :)

Good job on the adequate research. I'm a young reefer also (13) and ill have to admit, its really a good idea to spend your money wisely. I bought a 14h (basically a tall regular 10g) startup kit at petco (i know, yikes petco.) i probably poured $100 down the drain before I finally upgraded to the necessary equipment. Spend the money you have now on the right things, so that you dont have to spend more later. Also, try online, like aquatraders.com, who have a wide variety of low cost options. Just wondering, where are you looking for your equipment now?

Enough with the non-supportive parents. If they weren't supportive, you'd be in a group home.

Have you thought through all the expenses with setting up this new tank? You're looking at $350 for the tank. Now what about salt, rock, coral, fish, heater, powerhead, refractometer, test kits...on and on. That #### adds up extremely fast. I figure about $100 per gallon for my tanks. So for a 29g I'd be all in for about $2900 when the tank is mature.

He can do it, he'll just have to save up for a while.

The NC28 CF Quad was my first tank.... Not bad, you can do softies and LPS with no problem.... It's currently a xenia/anthellia/gsp hellhole that my clowns and family love... It does run warm in the summer, but not horrible. Evaporation is not bad... No need for ATO.

Would I do it again..... No! Back chambers are too tight for mid sized hands, LEDs not wired well, and basically very limited in what you can do with it IMO..

Good job on the adequate research. I'm a young reefer also (13) and ill have to admit, its really a good idea to spend your money wisely. I bought a 14h (basically a tall regular 10g) startup kit at petco (i know, yikes petco.) i probably poured $100 down the drain before I finally upgraded to the necessary equipment. Spend the money you have now on the right things, so that you dont have to spend more later. Also, try online, like aquatraders.com, who have a wide variety of low cost options. Just wondering, where are you looking for your equipment now?

It's nice to see fellow young reefers on Nano-reef.com. :happy:

I agree with Cheapreef27 and can't stress enough how important it is to spend you money wisely. I've been in this hobby for three years and I just learned how to spend my money wisely and get the equipment I need before buying the luxury of rare corals.

Will I get flamed for going with a NC

Doubt it.... They are nice setups, I just wouldn't do one again.... A lot of people like them. Since you are at the planning stage, just check all your options.

Will I get flamed for going with a NC
Ok, ths has gone on long enough.

First off, listen to Dnuts. You have supportive parents. You may not think so, but you do.

Second, WTH does it matter if you do? Who cares who flames you? Do it right and prove all who doubted wrong.

Third, as far as AIO's go. Nano Cubes are probably the best AIO's to buy, IMO. Easiest to mod, most available parts for.

Go with the Quad NC. Upgrade the lights and pumps down the road. You don't even need to break the tank down to do either of those upgrades.

Archived