Pod Your Reef

The "Mini" World! PIX!(rimless 10g build)

Mini-Dude

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep correct.

Ok cool

wow almost 60 pages...did you buy anthing yet, MD?

No not yet

IMO skip the grape caulerpa and go for some other, less invasive species e.g. gracilaria.

What would be your other choice?

Back to the subject of stocking, I had one other fish I could put on the list but I don't kon if it would work; a Blenny. If I go the 23 long route the display would be roughly 17-20 gallons. I don't want to overstock on fish because I want to focause on corals and macro more. I feel they are they secretive pieces in the tank and so they need to be health and happy an have great water conditions. Starting off I will mostly have zoas,pallys, acans, rics, and other LPS...when I become more experienced I will move to SPS and clams. I really like cool inverts so I might add a pair of Harliquin Shrimp to the list. (yes. Jtts I know the needs of them and I don't want to list them) wat other cool inverts would you suggest?

randalli pistol w/ goby, pom pom crab, blood shrimp, blue boxer shrimp, bumble bee shrimp, sexy shrimp, white spot anemone shrimp, tuxedo urchin, featherdusters, emerald crab, criniod squat lobster...

I forgo about featherdusters. I will get some it those too. I also want a Blood Shrimp, BumbleBee shrimp, and a white spot. The Blood would go in the display, BB would go in the fuge, and WS would also go in the fuge.

what's WS?

are you going to get a shrimp goby pair?

will the tank have a lid? if so, you might want to consider a midas blenny...they grow a little big, but you did say your tank wold be long.

Clowns need lots of room & can be very aggressive. what can cause or prevent this.

Nothing (clowns & fire fish) in my tank goes above the mid point of the tank. why. What would cause this.

well they don't go above it that much.

These may help answer the questions. Really, should be able to with just the short one.

short vid

https://picasaweb.google.com/jptibbles/AllF...301974827901954

long vid

https://picasaweb.google.com/jptibbles/AllF...957382670986834

yes my tank looks like poo

just wish it actually looked like I have 30 heads of lps in there. some day I'll actually turn the vortech down from full.

Oh & mini-dude this would be more along the lines of a setup I would recommend.

I wouldn't reccomend having the feather dusters and the sexies in the same side of the tank. My sexies killed a really pretty green duster by bothering it till it left its tube and then they ate it. Also, I wouldn't mix a shrimp goby and a blenny I've read somewhere that because they have similar body shapes they could fight and I don't think your tank would be big enough to give them enough space, but if you wanted another fish you could consider getting a pair of trimma gobies for the macro side.

as long as they inhabit different swimming areas, i think they will be fine. my midas blenny does not bother my tangaroa goby.

Heh, Bitts :blush:

MD,

Better stocking list! You may still want to do some more research. There's nothing bad about liveaquaria.com or about.com, but I don't think that they necessarily constitute true "research" as you can't possibly learn enough about an animal in 1 paragraph. When researching the needs of mangroves, do research to be sure you get the right kind.

First, if you want to focus on the macro algaes and such I think you may need a larger refugium. I mean you'll be trimming all that stuff constantly.

The trimma goby is a nice touch to the fuge. I would do a little more research on their feeding habits. From what I've read they can be finnicky and do best with multiple meaty feedings per day. The cost of frozen food (or fresh, I've made my own meaty blend before) gets sort of annoying.

Next, just an observation, but you may need to cut back on your inverts, or at least diversify them. Shrimp are carnivorous (not to mention that the Bumblebee has a similar diet to the Harlequin's), and with too many of them, they could wipe out the infauna of the tank in short order. So you would then have to feed them at each feeding, or they could potentially starve, or eat your corals. So I would just stick to 1 or 2 shrimp for your setup. The exception possibly being the sexies. I don't see why you couldn't add a few to the fuge side.

Finally, have you contemplated the costs of the potential livestock? Some of those shrimp are $, and those gobies, while small in size cost as much or more than much larger fish! Buying a goby/pistol shrimp pair can be pretty pricey too. I think it's nice to have rare or unique livestock, but it gets costly and then we're buying stuff just because it looks pretty or because we like what someone else has. Ultimately a very successful reef can come of relatively common fish, inverts, and corals. That's one of the goals for my new tank. Since I'm broke as all hell and can't buy any real unique pieces I've decided to focus on growing out a coral into a true display piece. Something i can really be proud of (pride does have it's place!).

Good luck.

what's WS?

are you going to get a shrimp goby pair?

will the tank have a lid? if so, you might want to consider a midas blenny...they grow a little big, but you did say your tank wold be long.

White spot shrimp

I will prob get a pair but you never know

I don't know if my tank will have a lid yet because bitts told me to foucause on livestock first

well they don't go above it that much

These may help answer the questions. Really, should be able to with just the short one.

short vid

https://picasaweb.google.com/jptibbles/AllF...301974827901954

long vid

https://picasaweb.google.com/jptibbles/AllF...957382670986834

yes my tank looks like poo

is it because some fish don't like high flow areas and that is where normally all the flow is?

just wish it actually looked like I have 30 heads of lps in there. some day I'll actually turn the vortech down from full.

Oh & mini-dude this would be more along the lines of a setup I would recommend.

What setup is it?

Heh, Bitts :blush:

MD,

Better stocking list! You may still want to do some more research. There's nothing bad about liveaquaria.com or about.com, but I don't think that they necessarily constitute true "research" as you can't possibly learn enough about an animal in 1 paragraph. When researching the needs of mangroves, do research to be sure you get the right kind.

First, if you want to focus on the macro algaes and such I think you may need a larger refugium. I mean you'll be trimming all that stuff constantly.

The trimma goby is a nice touch to the fuge. I would do a little more research on their feeding habits. From what I've read they can be finnicky and do best with multiple meaty feedings per day. The cost of frozen food (or fresh, I've made my own meaty blend before) gets sort of annoying.

Next, just an observation, but you may need to cut back on your inverts, or at least diversify them. Shrimp are carnivorous (not to mention that the Bumblebee has a similar diet to the Harlequin's), and with too many of them, they could wipe out the infauna of the tank in short order. So you would then have to feed them at each feeding, or they could potentially starve, or eat your corals. So I would just stick to 1 or 2 shrimp for your setup. The exception possibly being the sexies. I don't see why you couldn't add a few to the fuge side.

Finally, have you contemplated the costs of the potential livestock? Some of those shrimp are $, and those gobies, while small in size cost as much or more than much larger fish! Buying a goby/pistol shrimp pair can be pretty pricey too. I think it's nice to have rare or unique livestock, but it gets costly and then we're buying stuff just because it looks pretty or because we like what someone else has. Ultimately a very successful reef can come of relatively common fish, inverts, and corals. That's one of the goals for my new tank. Since I'm broke as all hell and can't buy any real unique pieces I've decided to focus on growing out a coral into a true display piece. Something i can really be proud of (pride does have it's place!).

Good luck.

Thanks,I am in the process of doing more reaserch. I'm only right now thinking of doing 6 shrimp, pair o Harliquins, a skunk, and 3 sexys. The way I have it in my head is the fuge would be about 4 gallons. Now I knownthis is small but normally fuges are small right? I could split the tank 50/50 and have a 11 gallon fuge? But then I wouldn't have as much space for the display. A better idea is to split the fuge 1/4 of the whole tank and have 3/4 of the tank the display.

I have not thought of cost yet. I'm gonna get my list set and work around the cost. If something is too much for me I will go with something different yet simmalar.I really want to grow corals in this tank more than I want to grow fish and shrimp so I might have to cut back.

There you go. the low flow areas in this setup are between the rocks. other aspects here would be that they like the protection of the rock. in fact they like the high flow so long as they can quickly leave it for the rock. they will sit in the flow about 8-10 inches from the vortech, then let the flow carry them across the tank. its a neat behavior to watch.

this type of behavior will split things up into open water & rock hugging fish. or degrees there of.

as to the set up did you notice how the fish use the length. this is one down side of the setup you've been looking at. I would say that a display with full size sump will give you more flexibility in design. plus allow for a big skimmer.

That's true but is it hard to plumb all that and will it be more expensive than the double peninsula? I really do like that idea because you could have a bigger "display" fuge under the main tank. But still I don't know how to plumb...would y'all help with that? With tht option I could have the full 23 gallons along with the longness of it. Then on top of that I would have an extra 10-15 gallons or water in the sump/fuge.....if it is less or of equal value or just a little higher I think this is the setup to go. But still have no cule on plumbing....... I could also overstock slightly because of the added water volume. I would also have room for my fav fish the Midas and have extra room for corals... H

Mmmmmmm nic idea bitts, thanks dude!

easiest way to plumb would be like this.

or you can do something like this.

or use a hang on the back fuge. if you want to keep the length with out drilling.

personally I find it a waste to add the length with out increasing the height, on anything above a 10 or 15. which then bumps you into a 29, 30, or even larger tank. if you add sand your tank is suddenly reduced to being 7 inches deep. joy.

but yes going with a sump will add to the cost.

hob fuge

http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_AquaFuge_2_...-FIRFEB-vi.html

good example of drilling. I would say that this in a 15 or 29 would be best. but a ten is super simple to run. limiting but way easy to keep up.

1f249211.jpg

e4016516.jpg

512c9a28.jpg

749b4ca5.jpg

50dc31ed.jpg

dcdb316b.jpg

use a ten for the sump with one baffle to keep the water line stable for the skimmer. then add a sump with the fuge later. drilling the tank & setting it up like this would run about 30 dollars. ruffly. then @ the $/gallon sale get a 29 & a 10. total cost figure 80. with equipment pump heater & such 200. then lights & skimmer. so yeah the double would be cheaper.

I also like the idea of a 30 breeder w/ 15 sump. I bet it would cost just a little more than the 23 long w/ sump. That's would be cool plus breeders have sick dimensions.

Archived