inTank Media Baskets

The "Mini" World! PIX!(rimless 10g build)

Mini-Dude

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have you factored in aspects such as complete nutrient cycling, functional stocking (clams & other filter feeders. micro, meso, meio, macro fauna. the needed microbial ecology. so on. ), aspects of proper biotoping or at least the needed carry over. plankton generation. can you show or at least speak to how the presence of the "a pair of clowns and a goby and corals" will interact with these & the other aspects of the ecology. this knowledge is needed before any planing of the system can begin. you can work it backwards from the system but, as stated before you will be working with in the limitations placed on you be the system. rather than building the system to meet the needs of the system you want.

now what are the pros & cons of both a DIY & an all in one system. based on the above.

also all the answers to the above have already been given to you. either in threads I have seen you post to, or in threads you state to have read.

P.S. there is really only one piece of filtration equipment needed in any system. the skimmer. the above is what will determine the needed capacity.

since you need art in the thread.

23.jpgCSC_0165-0001.jpgimg9064f.jpgimg9083h.jpgimg9052v.jpg

this would be what you get when you do it the right way. & no not my tank.

just one of the guys I'm trying to learn from.

have you factored in aspects such as complete nutrient cycling, functional stocking (clams & other filter feeders. micro, meso, meio, macro fauna. the needed microbial ecology. so on. ), aspects of proper biotoping or at least the needed carry over. plankton generation. can you show or at least speak to how the presence of the "a pair of clowns and a goby and corals" will interact with these & the other aspects of the ecology. this knowledge is needed before any planing of the system can begin. you can work it backwards from the system but, as stated before you will be working with in the limitations placed on you be the system. rather than building the system to meet the needs of the system you want.

now what are the pros & cons of both a DIY & an all in one system. based on the above.

also all the answers to the above have already been given to you. either in threads I have seen you post to, or in threads you state to have read.

P.S. there is really only one piece of filtration equipment needed in any system. the skimmer. the above is what will determine the needed capacity.

Wow I'm not trying to be funny but that is a lot of big words. Is that all really nessisary? I mean I am thinking like squared. Dont you just need CP, FF, fuge, and a skimmer?

since you need art in the thread.

23.jpgCSC_0165-0001.jpgimg9064f.jpgimg9083h.jpgimg9052v.jpg

this would be what you get when you do it the right way. & no not my tank.

just one of the guys I'm trying to learn from.

wow who's is this cause it's awsome!
Wow I'm not trying to be funny but that is a lot of big words. Is that all really nessisary? I mean I am thinking like squared. Dont you just need CP, FF, fuge, and a skimmer?

Whats necessary changes as you move through things. what determines whats necessary is what your trying to get from the system. you can treat a pair of clowns like their gold fish & keep them in a volume of water. the things that I've been pointing out will allow for a much simpler tank, with less maintenance & better filtration. while enabling the system to be much closer to the natural environment (aka an actual reef tank.). while being in many ways one which is self supporting.

Assuming cp=chempure. no. waste of money. 20 year old tech which has always been overblown hype.

not sure what is meant by ff so I'm going to just say no.

fuge ah now we're getting some where this is actually functional. serving as a benefit to the system, if you plan things correctly.

skimmer Yes for 99.99% of all tanks I would say absolute must have. really a tank should only every need a skimmer, salt, & flow as far as equipment.

from there its all about stocking, & yes stocking includes everything. down to the heterotrophic bacteria & plankton in the water column.

now with all this in mind there are some setups that don't have anything. just coral, water, & flow. because the guy with the tank understands how to use the things that I brought up earlier.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=231056

the water column is acting as the biologic filtration.

going back to knowing why things are recommended, why would complete nutrient cycling be advantageous.

Whats necessary changes as you move through things. what determines whats necessary is what your trying to get from the system. you can treat a pair of clowns like their gold fish & keep them in a volume of water. the things that I've been pointing out will allow for a much simpler tank, with less maintenance & better filtration. while enabling the system to be much closer to the natural environment (aka an actual reef tank.). while being in many ways one which is self supporting.

Assuming cp=chempure. no. waste of money. 20 year old tech which has always been overblown hype.

not sure what is meant by ff so I'm going to just say no.

fuge ah now we're getting some where this is actually functional. serving as a benefit to the system, if you plan things correctly.

skimmer Yes for 99.99% of all tanks I would say absolute must have. really a tank should only every need a skimmer, salt, & flow as far as equipment.

from there its all about stocking, & yes stocking includes everything. down to the heterotrophic bacteria & plankton in the water column.

now with all this in mind there are some setups that don't have anything. just coral, water, & flow. because the guy with the tank understands how to use the things that I brought up earlier.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=231056

the water column is acting as the biologic filtration.

going back to knowing why things are recommended, why would complete nutrient cycling be advantageous.

why is it a waste if money? FF=filter floss. So you dont think useing chemical media is important? why? I am deff. having a fuge no matter what. What skimmer do you recomend?

Beacause its removes ammonia and nitrites and nitrates.

Beacause its removes ammonia and nitrites and nitrates.

first ammonia is a gas. ammonium is actually what we have in our tanks at least for the most part.

nutrients are not actually removed the are converted from one form to the next. cycled.

example:

nitrogen cycle

nh4 -> no2-> no3-> n

so again why would complete nutrient cycling be brought up.

there are several nutrents in flux through out a tank. what are they. or at least the big 6.

as to chempure. there are better carbons out there.

skimmer selection.

base it on the ratio of air draw to water flow through (low water flow with high air draw). then factor in bubble size.

first ammonia is a gas. ammonium is actually what we have in our tanks at least for the most part.

nutrients are not actually removed the are converted from one form to the next. cycled.

example:

nitrogen cycle

nh4 -> no2-> no3-> n

so again why would complete nutrient cycling be brought up.

there are several nutrents in flux through out a tank. what are they. or at least the big 6.

as to chempure. there are better carbons out there.

Umm, ammoinium, nitrite,nitrate,calcium, magnisium, iodide. What are the better carbons?

skimmer selection.

base it on the ratio of air draw to water flow through (low water flow with high air draw). then factor in bubble size.

You lost me. Sorry
Umm, ammoinium, nitrite,nitrate,calcium, magnisium, iodide. What are the better carbons?

You lost me. Sorry

ammonia, trrites, trates, & nitrogen... these are all from the same cycle, named for the element that is being moved through it. look again. from food & such we get -> NH4 -> NO2 -> NO3 -> N (gas) -> out of the tank into the air.

there are 5 more main cycles in biogeochemistry (aka the environment) can you name them. they are named for the element that cycles through it. (look at the wiki on biogeochemistry.)

your on the right path with the Iodine but its a trace element & not one of the main ones.

skimmers make bubbles right. they do this forcing air & water into a container of some kind. so they need air & water. the more air you draw into the water, the more bubbles you create.

ammonia, trrites, trates, & nitrogen... these are all from the same cycle, named for the element that is being moved through it. look again. from food & such we get -> NH4 -> NO2 -> NO3 -> N (gas) -> out of the tank into the air.

there are 5 more main cycles in biogeochemistry (aka the environment) can you name them. they are named for the element that cycles through it. (look at the wiki on biogeochemistry.)

your on the right path with the Iodine but its a trace element & not one of the main ones.

skimmers make bubbles right. they do this forcing air & water into a container of some kind. so they need air & water. the more air you draw into the water, the more bubbles you create.

They are: carbon, nitrogen, sulfer, phosphorus, and phosphate. I think.

So should you have more air intake then water intake?

They are: carbon, nitrogen, sulfer, phosphorus, and phosphate. I think.

So should you have more air intake then water intake?

carbon, nitrogen, sulfer, phosphorus (this is where you get the phosphates.), oxygen, & hydrogen.

You cant really pull more air than water. But the more Air the better.

carbon, nitrogen, sulfer, phosphorus (this is where you get the phosphates.), oxygen, & hydrogen.

You cant really pull more air than water. But the more Air the better.

Your not mar at me for getting those wrong right?

So would a Tunze or someting small like that work on this?

I've heard some bad reviews for Tunze. I'm gonna get an AquaticLife Internal Mini Protien Skimmer. :happy:

Cheap, tiny, and efficient.

Don't worry if I was pissed I'd just put you on ignore.

You looked & found it for your self, which is what matters.

You can get the Answers wrong, so long as you try to answer them yourself.

I've heard some bad reviews for Tunze. I'm gonna get an AquaticLife Internal Mini Protien Skimmer. :happy:

Cheap, tiny, and efficient.

I will have to look that one up. I hope it has a VERY small footprint.

Don't worry if I was pissed I'd just put you on ignore.

You looked & found it for your self, which is what matters.

You can get the Answers wrong, so long as you try to answer them yourself.

I know it's just I don't like bothering people and so it always bugs me. I'm glad your not mad.

Now you decide? :P just playin

O and Euph. Is that skimmer 3in long an 3in wide?

Well people have it in their BioCube 29's first filter chamber (which is a bit less than 3" x 3") so I would assume that it is. I'll let you know next month when I get it. :lol:

gators-gonna-gait.gif

Archived