Top Shelf Aquatics

Things on the glass

haggus75

Hi,

I have two things that attach themself to the glass of my aquarium... Could you please help me identified them. The white star I think it's some Hydroid.

post-12276-1298136163_thumb.jpg

post-12276-1298136181_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality I had problem doing the focus on them.

Thank you for you're help,

Martin

squirrelieygrrrl

more than likely theyre amphipods.

try using the search function, if your just starting out you can pretty much be sure that some one has encountered the same things as you have. plus you can run across all sorts of good info.

best of luck to ya martin.

Hi,

I have two things that attach themself to the glass of my aquarium... Could you please help me identified them. The white star I think it's some Hydroid.

post-12276-1298136163_thumb.jpg

post-12276-1298136181_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality I had problem doing the focus on them.

Thank you for you're help,

Martin

First one is hard to tell. Kinda looks like the start of a foram colony (good sign for your tank). Second is a hydromedusae, the meduse form of a hydroid. Common in new tanks. Nothing to worry about (they come and go on their own).

danthenewreefman

i dont see no worm...but no real experience with flatworms

but i do see hydroids and pods on the glass. nothing to be concerned about.

squirrelieygrrrl

i wouldnt worry too much about all the micro-fauna in the beginning, they come and go as monochrome said. more than likely what you have in there is all the run of the mill critters. though there are a number of harmful flatworms out there, there are also species that dont cause problems. i have a few commensal purpleish flatworms that are harmless.

to be honest the first pic definitely looks like amphipods to me though, pretty common in a fresh set up.

i dont want to wager a guess on the second pic, i cant really make it out clearly. but if you pour over that chucks addiction site im sure youll figure it out. that site is fairly comprehensive.

Oh I missed that thing in the bottom right. That does look a bit like a white flatworm. The white ones are good though. They eat the red ones that eat coral :)

Archived