Innovative Marine Aquariums

Does a golden-brown sand from the beach good for my tank?

--April--

I just went to the beach and I grab some of the sand & water.

I place a bit of the sand on the top of the crush coral sand(1-3mm) I have in tank.

Anyway, is this sand alright or not?

If its not good for the tank, do I have to remove it immediately?

And the reason why I shouldn't have it in my tank?

And the same question about the water.

- 1.025 salinity

- 0 phosphate

- 0 Nitrate

- 0 Ammonia

I just went to the beach and I grab some of the sand & water.

I place a bit of the sand on the top of the crash coral sand I have in tank.

Anyway, is this sand alright or not?

If its not good for the tank, do I have to remove it immediately?

And the reason why I shouldn't have it in my tank?

And the same question about the water.

I wouldn't use either. Both could be full of pollutants.Remember the oil spill for example? Inshore water can have salinity levels all over the board and is likely to be contaminated.Also the "crash" coral sand you have in there (I assume you mean "crushed") is too course and will trap detritus long term.IMO remove everything and start over before you get too far along.

Thank for answering my questions.

I hate to say that i can't start tank all over again because I only have one tank. The sand doesn't seem to have any worm and such. I'm trying my best to get rid off all the sand from the beach out of my tank.

I'll buy some live sand, any idea which sand should i buy? Sugar size sand or 1-2/1-3 mm size sand?

About the water, I live in Australia and I don't think the water from Wollongong are polluted/contaminated. I'll tank the risk of using the water.

I've used water from the ocean many times. My corals love it actually. You do have to be careful and thoughtful however to understand that a)introducing anything from one environment to another can have an effect and that B) the closer to the shore the item is i.e. sand from the beach, the more likely it is that it will have a higher concentration of waste (detritus, pollutants, etc.) I usually get my water at high tide and several feet out from shore. If a little sand is caught up with it, I don't worry about it, however sand pulled directly from the shore is more likely to be nasty as it is filtering the waste brought up by the waves.

A medium sand grain is best as it is small enough to not trap nitrates and yet not so small that digging critters can't move it around.

I've used water from the ocean many times. My corals love it actually. You do have to be careful and thoughtful however to understand that a)introducing anything from one environment to another can have an effect and that B) the closer to the shore the item is i.e. sand from the beach, the more likely it is that it will have a higher concentration of waste (detritus, pollutants, etc.) I usually get my water at high tide and several feet out from shore. If a little sand is caught up with it, I don't worry about it, however sand pulled directly from the shore is more likely to be nasty as it is filtering the waste brought up by the waves.

A medium sand grain is best as it is small enough to not trap nitrates and yet not so small that digging critters can't move it around.

Thanks for the advice.

I hope the nearest LFS here sells live sand.

Archived