Cultivated Reef

Bleaching

mmcguffi

So Ive had my Fluval Edge set up for about 5 weeks and it's been cycled for most of that. However, my beautiful coralline has been on a downward spiral, slowly bleaching itself away. All of my params are perfect. I have the sh!tty stock halogens in with a supplemental full spectrum incandescent pointing on it while I wait for my nanocustoms Fluval Edge LED. I dont have an extremely consistent lighting schedule but it's fairly regular.

How do I stop the bleaching before it's all gone? I dont frequent WC (1-3 per week depending) so the calcium level should be fine.

I dont frequent WC (1-3 per week depending) so the calcium level should be fine.

test for calcium please.. and then let us know.. I run about 380-390 ppm calcium and mine grows just dandy!

I'm presuming that you are talking about coralline on the rocks themselves and not the glass.

test for calcium please.. and then let us know.. I run about 380-390 ppm calcium and mine grows just dandy!

I'm presuming that you are talking about coralline on the rocks themselves and not the glass.

Yep just on the rocks. It was covered in this awesome coralline when I bought it, but now theres only about 1/2 of it left with the remaining portions already turning discolored. I dont currently have the capability to test Ca levels but I use IO and do at least 40% WCs combined throughout the week. I really dont think it's the calcium levels but I have no idea how to stop it...

Yep just on the rocks. It was covered in this awesome coralline when I bought it, but now theres only about 1/2 of it left with the remaining portions already turning discolored. I dont currently have the capability to test Ca levels but I use IO and do at least 40% WCs combined throughout the week. I really dont think it's the calcium levels but I have no idea how to stop it...

Did you add the rocks in for your cycle? or did these come in after the fact? the corraline spores will still be in the water.. and if/when it decides to come back to life you should be in good shape!! I had a hard time with bleaching myself. But now i got purple, green, and pink corraline running wilds!

take water to the lfs they could prob test your calcium levels for a dollar or 2 if they are greedy or free if they are kind

Did you add the rocks in for your cycle? or did these come in after the fact? the corraline spores will still be in the water.. and if/when it decides to come back to life you should be in good shape!! I had a hard time with bleaching myself. But now i got purple, green, and pink corraline running wilds!

take water to the lfs they could prob test your calcium levels for a dollar or 2 if they are greedy or free if they are kind

Yea I cycled with these rocks and there was a little bleaching during that period but most of it has happened after everything was at 0.

I really dont want to lose anymore of it; has anyone tried those coralline-boosting-supplement things with success (in general or for battling bleaching)?

LIGHT and not just water chemistry (calcium, Ph, etc) plays a big part in the growth or lack there of.

Too much light can bleach any coral and coralline algae is sensitive to this as well.

I have seen new tanks crash when all the coralline starts to die off... :tears:

Let me ask you, was this rock cured or uncured?

LIGHT and not just water chemistry (calcium, Ph, etc) plays a big part in the growth or lack there of.

Too much light can bleach any coral and coralline algae is sensitive to this as well.

I have seen new tanks crash when all the coralline starts to die off... :tears:

Let me ask you, was this rock cured or uncured?

Cured but it had a fair amount of critters. My cycle was not super heavy and only lasted a little under 2 weeks. Also there's no way it's getting too much light. The amount of light on the tank is literally just a desk lamp pointed at it. The spectrum is very yellow with little blue so perhaps this is the cause? The LED setup I ordered is going to take 2-3 weeks to get here... :tears:

Archived