Innovative Marine Aquariums

The case of the carnivorous sea urchin!

justjosh

I woke up to a murder. My pencil sea urchin, whom I have had for almost three years with NO incident, has turned into a vicious predator! The awesome onyx clown you see was swimming happily eating some hearty mysis the night before. Such a bummer. This sea urchin came on my first piece of live rock three years ago and had been through a ton. He always did a good job of keeping my rocks clean. Well I guess he is going back to the lfs. What I believe happened is the clownfish tried to host the urchin or sleep in its spines at night and the urchin slowly manipulated his spines to trap the clownfish. This happened Wednesday night and today the urchin was steal chompin. I really loved the onyx clown...Sorry Nate.

GOPR0374.jpg

Yeah I was pretty bummed. But I just let nature take it's course and it took the urchin about 2 and a half days to finish his meal. Then he was banished to the sump.

They're omnivores, so I certainly wouldn't put it past scavanging the clown after it was dead or when it was too sick to get away.

I have had fish which are officially herbivores eat mysis and meaty foods though, so I'm not sure many creatures really have that strict of a diet...

They're omnivores, so I certainly wouldn't put it past scavanging the clown after it was dead or when it was too sick to get away.

I have had fish which are officially herbivores eat mysis and meaty foods though, so I'm not sure many creatures really have that strict of a diet...

There's no way this fish was sick as it devoured some mysis the night before it happened. Also, this tank is in my bedroom so I observe him a lot. I definitely agree with you about herbivores eating anything, it seems rare that a fish is strictly herbivorous.

Archived