ReefCleaners.org

4 chamber bucket sump

straydog

It will be goineg under a 12 inch drilled cube. Baffels are cut the full height of the bucket. Still have to make water passages between the chambers and weld in place 1298059903.jpg

I cant believe I didn't think of this.

That is what I said. But then I remembered that I do not have a drilled tank and this is just as useless to me as any other sump. But now I want to do it anyway...

I measured the width of the insde of the top of the bucket then the bottom, and made a template out of poster board. I sloted 1 halfway down from the top the other is sloted from the bottom. Then I put the slots together and slid them in place.

That is what I said. But then I remembered that I do not have a drilled tank and this is just as useless to me as any other sump. But now I want to do it anyway...

You could add a syphon overflow

I would make the baffles shorter than the total height of the bucket in case your holes get blocked somehow. That way the water could overflow the top into the next chamber instead of out of the bucket.

I did this for my old 1.4g pico. Worked great, and was certainly cheap and easy. It's not perfect though, as the baffles end up separating from the bucket after time if you move it around to service it. Still works good though.

I think it's a great idea, but it could be a little difficult to use as a 'fuge because of the tall narrow compartments and no visibility from the side. also putting a skimmer in there could be fun... what are your plans for it's use? And what size tank is it going on?

I did this for my old 1.4g pico. Worked great, and was certainly cheap and easy. It's not perfect though, as the baffles end up separating from the bucket after time if you move it around to service it. Still works good though.

Did you use silacon or weldon for the baffels

I think it's a great idea, but it could be a little difficult to use as a 'fuge because of the tall narrow compartments and no visibility from the side. also putting a skimmer in there could be fun... what are your plans for it's use? And what size tank is it going on?

I used a 5W halogen MR16 bulb in this setup and I grew more chaeto in there than in my larger sumps. It was crazy how fast it grew.

Did you use silacon or weldon for the baffels

Silicone. You would have to use Weld-on 16 in a situation like that, and even then the joints may be too brittle. Silicone would be better, but it will need touch ups after a while.

7.5 gallon bucket will hold about 3 gallons will probaly put a clear pipe as guage 4 water level

I used a 5W halogen MR16 bulb in this setup and I grew more chaeto in there than in my larger sumps. It was crazy how fast it grew.

Silicone. You would have to use Weld-on 16 in a situation like that, and even then the joints may be too brittle. Silicone would be better, but it will need touch ups after a while.

im going try the weldon maybe sand the bucket where baffels touch to get a better bond
  • 1 month later...

Here is the final product after taking into construction all the grate advice I received 2011-04-09_11-38-17_738.jpgchamber heights were cut down to 11" to give 3" of space above them for over flow, the handle was removed to stop me from lifting it so that the chambers have a better chance of to keep there bond to the bucket wall. Water will enter at the chamber with the gray strainer and flow through two one and one half inch holes at the bottom exit at top through same size holes at top to macro live rock area and then exit through to return chamber at bottom and be returned with a maxijet 1100.

Archived