Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mr. Aqua 5.2 gallon VERTICAL build thread

Klink67

I feed mine mysis shrimp and they seem to love that. Sometimes they take fish pellets too. Unfortunately that lime mini melted. It didn't seem to like my light too much =( I just got some more and they have already split from two to four, but they don't have that pretty green coloration. I got the green one from DeMartini. She is the mini carpet queen on here haha. Not sure if she has any to sell but you could check with her.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I am already getting two from lalani that look really nice. I will definitely try to position them in a low light area. How do your maxis like the high light?

Also I have some hikari bio-gold carnivore pellets that I use for my piranha but I dont know how good it would be for nems because the main ingredient is fish meal and some kind of bacteria for digestion. I could get some raw shrimp and hikari marine pellets. I also read on several site that silversides are the best to feed because they provide total nutrition. I think I will feed a mix once a week.

Be careful with silversides there is some controversary over using them. I know some people thought that they were actually harming the anemones. Its hard to tell the quality of fish that you are getting and whether or not it was properly frozen. A lot of people (myself included) prefer just going to the store and buying raw shrimp and such. This way you are getting food grade product and there is a little more quality control.

The maxis usually move out of the light to start off with, but then crawl back out once they adjust to it. People keep them under all lighting types so I think its just a matter of acclimating them to the light that you have.

I can't wait to see this tank nems in it! I'm completely addicted to these anemones haha.

Yeah I saw a youtube video of one feeding and it was really cool. I will probably skip the silversides and feed a mix of raw shrimp and white fish pieces. I know that with piranha feeding shrimp will increase the red in them.

Thanks for all the info!

Hopefully after I am done more people will do maxi mini dominated picos.

Well its a good thing that I bought a refractometer because my SG was .10 after several salt boosts I got it up to .22. This had led me to believe that marine depot is right. I have a 5.2 gallon tank. This would explain why salinity was low because I only put 3 gallons worth of salt in there.

MY TANK

Based on this and the fact that mr.aqua's website only lists a 5.2 gallon vertical bow means that my water volums is actually 5.2 gallons.

I also got a really good deal based on premium aquatics website mistake. I only paid 23.99 vs 37.99 that marine depot charges.

My specific gravity was .10 and now its .22

My tank volume is 5.2 gallons. Now that I look on there website it costs $12 more for the tank they sent me. I looked around and couldnt find a 3 gallon vertical bow front. It turns out they did send me the wrong tank instead of a 3 gallon I got a 5.2 gallon pico. Thats why my salinity was off so much.

wait you couldnt tell between it being a 5 gal and a 3 gal?! that is one ninja tank...

also SG should be 1.025 not 0.12anything. you may be reading the refracto wrong or reporting it wrong.

I was just abbreviating it. Also it does look like a picotope turned on its side, but since I have only seen picotopes in pictures and not in real life so I didnt have a size reference. It is still small compared to my AP12. It is basically a 5 gallon bowfront cube aquarium. Even though I got this for half price I would rather have the mr. aqua 7.5 gallon cube.

that is not how abbreviations work? but i'm still confused, if you abbreviate the 1 then 1.100 and 1.220 are still way too high. do you abbreviate the 1.0 part? all this decimal moving is very confusing you know x_x

so your SG now is 1.022? a bit low, should be 1.025-26 still.

Also wouldnt you know by the amount of gallons you put into the tank ._. 3 gals vs using 5 gals is a very noticeable diff lol. regardless having more gallons is better dont you think? also i've seen this design in someone's thread too. someone's making the same tank except its smaller.

Premium aquatics recently updated there "3 gallon bowfront vertical" to the 5.2 gallon that marine depot has. Mr. Aqua doesnt make a 3 gallon vertical only a 5.2 gallon. I only put 3 gallons in the tank but I think what I forgot was to consider all the live rock and sand.

I also just measured the tank and confirmed the volume.

that is not how abbreviations work? but i'm still confused, if you abbreviate the 1 then 1.100 and 1.220 are still way too high. do you abbreviate the 1.0 part? all this decimal moving is very confusing you know x_x

so your SG now is 1.022? a bit low, should be 1.025-26 still.

Also wouldnt you know by the amount of gallons you put into the tank ._. 3 gals vs using 5 gals is a very noticeable diff lol. regardless having more gallons is better dont you think? also i've seen this design in someone's thread too. someone's making the same tank except its smaller.

Were is that build thread? I am looking for people that have the same tank as me but the only mr. aqua pico's are 7.5 gallons.

Also took off the mr. aqua sticker to give t a clean look. i do like that it is more gallons

Yeah I cant imagine how tiny a 3 gallon must be.

I will try to post pics tomorrow when the light comes in. I am considering trading my large rock in for rubble because I dont want my nems getting stuck on the large rock and not being able to get them off.

The light did not show up today. However I did get my digital temp probe from china. Without a heater my tank is at a constant 71.4 degrees. Salinity has gone up to 1.025 SG

The light, filter and heater should be here tomorrow.

Like I said my heater and AC50 are getting here tomorrow for sure and the light should be here tomorrow but if not then thats fine. I am thinking of ordering some more rock rubble. Also found someone local that I can get a bunch of maxis from. The guy said he doesnt sell them because he wont ship so I should get a good deal on them.

Saturday update

I will be picking up 7 ultra colored maxis from a local reefer. he want $70 for all 7 which I think is a pretty good deal. They also are only the size of a half dollar so it will be perfect for what I am doing. After these initial 7 I will only add rare or high colored maxis or minis from the divers den or other WYSIWYG site. Since I am working with a limited space I will only put the best of the species in there. also going to get some mini minis in a few weeks.

Should I wait a few months before adding them. I keep reading that nems need established tanks with extremely stable water but when I had my condylactis nem it did fine in a new tank. Are the maxis as hardy as most soft coral?

Archived