Good Mandarin Dragonette "problem".

NU2REEFIN

I have read all the horror stories about Mandarin Dragonettes and have avoided the fish because of this until about 3 months ago. I took a male Mandarin from another local reefer whom did not take the warnings and was starving it death. I have a nice supply of pods in my tank and it is fattening up nicely. Now to the "problem", when I spot feed my corals PE mysis not only does my clown take the food from my corals, now my Mandarin is doing the same. :D:P:D I took the fish to try to rescue it, now I have hope it may even thrive in my tank (29g Biocube HQI). Just wanted to share.

i dont see a problem

Hence the " " the "problem" would be he is stealing shrimp from my corals. Not a real problem I know, I am actually glad he is. Damn internet sarcasm.........so hard to read.

great to hear! just got mine to eat frozen. shes just still really shy hopefully she grows out of it.

Mine swims right up the the pipette I feed with. How long was the training process? I think this is some "reef karma" I am due for some past help. ;)

I have read all the horror stories about Mandarin Dragonettes and have avoided the fish because of this until about 3 months ago. I took a male Mandarin from another local reefer whom did not take the warnings and was starving it death. I have a nice supply of pods in my tank and it is fattening up nicely. Now to the "problem", when I spot feed my corals PE mysis not only does my clown take the food from my corals, now my Mandarin is doing the same. :D:P:D I took the fish to try to rescue it, now I have hope it may even thrive in my tank (29g Biocube HQI). Just wanted to share.

Mine does the same thing.

Mine swims right up the the pipette I feed with. How long was the training process? I think this is some "reef karma" I am due for some past help. ;)

about 2 weeks. i started feeding live brine with a turkey baster, she would hide when it was in the water but come out of the rocks to snag a couple brine. then i started mixing frozen with the live and she started eating frozen. shes slow and picky on which pieces she chooses to eat and still hides when i put the turkey baster in the water even tho i try to sneek it in.

Lots of things you can try. PE mysis are good, but mine also love fish roe (little orange eggs found on sushi) and Hikari frozen bloodworms, plus occasionaly live white worms.

The fish roe is caplan eggs, but there is also some shrimp eggs and that's what ORA feed their mandarin with. The caplan eggs are much cheaper though, and can be bought at any sushi supply. They are frozen and so always fresh since you only taw the little bit that you need.

Congratulations on rescuing this little one. They are really nice fish.

Archived