Top Shelf Aquatics

Bryopsis?

burnofvengeance

burnofvengeance

My initial thoughts are that I'm experiencing an outbreak of bryopsis. But a confirmation would be nice. Anyways, can you tell me what it is? More importantly, how to get rid of it? Thanks. If it is bryopsis, I've heard/read that raising magnesium levels can help.

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

Dear lord I have never saw a patch of byropsis that tall before. Use kent tech m magnesium and raise mg to a level of 1600-1800 until the stuff dies off.

I have battled with bryopsis in every tank I've had. Raising your mag level with kent tech m works. From my experience it's not the raising of the magnesium, it's thhe dosing of tech m. I have had my mag above 1800 only to see it continue to grow unless I am dosing the tech m. Tech m and manual removal is the way to go. Just make sure the algae being removed doesn't settle in the tank. Syphon it out or it will spread where it settles.

Another vote for Tech M (and that certainly is bryo).

In my 20g measured about 1400 on my MG.. added an ounce or two of Tech M daily for a week or so. You can do targetted attacks as well. Never tested my end result, but, based on the reef calc and rough math based on what I added, I should have been in the 1800-2k range.

Also added a large turbo snail.. it was mostly gone within 2 weeks. Now, the only bit left is a small patch on my powerhead, because I'm too lazy to clean it. Hasn't spread or came back up.

The kent m did nothing for me. It slowed the growth but did not kill it. The best way that i found is manual removal the cover the rock where it is at with a peice of a black trash bag. That will keep it from the light and water. Using fishing line or a rubberband to attach the trash bag to the rock.

That's the stuff.. I went with the hard and heavy dosing. Added ~1oz twice a day for the first 2 or 3 days then cut it back to an ounce a day. I don't know if I'd do it the same way again, the most die off seems to occur right after each dosing. Also, (I think) I read that it was during photosynthesis that the Bryo absorbed whatever was killing it, so I upped my lighting schedule and tried to dose after all the lights were on.

Like others mentioned, it doesn't seem to be the actual magnesium that does it, but something else in the product.

Good luck!

Edit: I would suggest getting a testing kit. Then use the Reef Calc (google it) to see how much you would need to add to get your MG to ~1900-2k. Divide that by a week or whatever and figure out how much you should be adding daily.

Archived