SaltCritters.com

Cone snail? Or Whelk?

Backwerds Man

Builder Anthony

That might be some sort of crowry ........get a picture of the bottom of the shell and if someone tells you to flush this thing there crazy.I have a topic called Unwanted Creatures in the id forum so before you do anything that would cause its death post something in there.I would buy it.

Without knowing the exzact species there is no reason to jump to conclusions.A few eat algae.

Does it look like any of these in the link below?

There are a number of links in the link below that have other photos so look around on those as well.

http://www.cowries.info/shell/info.html

Backwerds Man

I don't really think it is a Cowry. The back of the shell(which I realize you cant see) has a little spiral action going on. Which is why I originally thought it was a cone snail.

The shell ATM seems to resemble one of this shape...

Textile_cone600.jpg

I guess I'll just let it keep on growin, and see.

pick it up. if it stings you then it's most likely a cone snail...I kid because cone snails generally have geometric patterns on their shells and the one in your picture does not.

220px-Textile_cone.JPG

if you take a picture of the other side of the snail or near where it would have an opperculum, (if it did have one, it doesn't the snail just retracts), I can tell you which species it is. From that angle the best you will be able to get is genus. Although if it has 3 red spots on the other side it is a common atlantic marginella, if it has no red marks, it is probably a frosted marginella, they are the most common species in the aquarium collecting ranges.

Backwerds Man

Thanks John. Googled some pictures and read some discriptions of Marginella's, and they are a mirror image of this snail I have. It's definitely a marginella of some sort. :D

What's the story on them?(Diet? Reef Safe?)

reef safe in small numbers, they can eat microfauna, so if you had a ton of them I guess they could cause more damage than they are worth, but just a few it seems like they will spend some time scavenging and the like and any damage to microfauna is minimal

Archived