ReefCleaners.org

The best host anemone for black and white clownfish

phattypeeps

I have recently added two very young black and white clownfish to my tank. They are replacing a Clarkii and his anemone who are being sold to a good home because they are too large for my new, smaller tank. I would like to find an anemone that is suitable for the black and white pair of clownfish. I have done some research and am now going to keep my eye out for a suitable anemone from local vendors. I have noticed that not all livestock is always identified 100% correctly at some of my LFS's so I was wondering if anyone can post any pictures of good black and white clownfish pairs and their host anemones so that I can potentially identify a good host when I see one in real life.

I am hoping to find something bright, and have been thinking of trying a pink BTA. Thoughts and opinions?

A nem with a darker purple color and longer tentacles would look better in my tank though, any suggestions?

Thanks, Phatty.

do you have any experience with anemones?? is your tank WELL established(6-8 months old)? if the answer to either of these is NO then I would strongly advise against keeping an anemone until you do EXTENSIVE reading on the species you plan on keeping

and FYI....captive bred clowns dont NEED anemones to thrive but if you do decide to eventually get one a bubble tip or a long tentacle are your best bet

Agreed with the above statement.

Also clowns will host LPS corals and mushrooms. But I think a bubble tip or carpet would be your best choice, but carpets are aggressive and get big.

do you have any experience with anemones?? is your tank WELL established(6-8 months old)? if the answer to either of these is NO then I would strongly advise against keeping an anemone until you do EXTENSIVE reading on the species you plan on keeping

and FYI....captive bred clowns dont NEED anemones to thrive but if you do decide to eventually get one a bubble tip or a long tentacle are your best bet

Please take more than 3 seconds to read his post before spazzing out about people being uninformed about nems. He specifically states they are replacing his current clarkii and nem, meaning that he has had a nem before.

Please take more than 3 seconds to read his post before spazzing out about people being uninformed about nems. He specifically states they are replacing his current clarkii and nem, meaning that he has had a nem before.

Thanks Vyker, I was a little frustrated by the response that seemed to just restate what I had already written, we all get ahead of ourselves sometimes though.

I am aware of what I am looking for, I have just found the process of actually finding properly labeled images of black and white clownfish hosting nems difficult, so if anyone has one and wanted to post it that would be great. Thanks!

Thanks Vyker, I was a little frustrated by the response that seemed to just restate what I had already written, we all get ahead of ourselves sometimes though.

I am aware of what I am looking for, I have just found the process of actually finding properly labeled images of black and white clownfish hosting nems difficult, so if anyone has one and wanted to post it that would be great. Thanks!

well if your tank is too small for a nem then why on earth would you buy another? doesn't make sense to me

I am not seeking your approval on whether or not I am worthy of owning an anemone. My tank is not too small for an anemone. I felt my tank was too small for a full grown Clarkii, so I now have two young black and white clownfish instead. All of this information is in the original post.

Regardless, this thread was in no way intended to ask your permission or opinion on my ability to maintain a reef. I am looking for help in identifying species, and thought a thread containing images might be of benefit to the site.

I have written my anemone licensing test, and if you feel I am unfit, then please go ahead and report me to the tang police.

To get the thread back on topic, here is a pic of the only anemone available in my area, I believe it is a pink BTA.

post-54762-1298089182.jpg

I would like to find one of these, I believe it is a purple long tentacle. Does anyone have any experience with Black and White clownfish hosting in these?

post-54762-1298089194_thumb.jpg

well if your tank is too small for a nem then why on earth would you buy another? doesn't make sense to me

The Clarkii clownfish and the anemone have been kept as a pair because they are happy and healthy together. I believe the anemone paired with the Clarkii clownfish is possibly a sebae anemone, in which case I do not believe it would be appropriate for the black and white clownfish.

so if the tank was just too small for the clown why did you sell the anemone as well??

I know that ocellaris will host a LTA. I had my original clown for about 6 months now and it never would host any coral I gave it. When I put my sick LTA in the tank with it, (thought a change might help it), the Clown gave it unconditional loving. The clowns in the tank it was in before didn't know what it was though, although they are tank bred. LTA come in a really amazing purple also. However, they are large like a sebay at 18" grown. The BTA is much smaller at 12" even so any anemone in a small tank should be in a species only as they can split and take over. BTA can host ocellaris clowns on occasion but the BTA is not a natural O.Clown host. These are really your only two options. Anythings else would either be far to large for your tank if it is to small for clarkii clowns or would only be more difficult to maintain.

Archived