Top Shelf Aquatics

MINI CARPET ANEMONOE?

problemman

I went to my local saltwater store today to have her tell me that they have mini carpet anemones.

when i looked at them i silently laughed and turned to her to tell her they looked like rock anemones. her response was that no they were carpet anemones and they host the clownfish and crabs. they wre $59 and i was hesitant to even believe a word she said. anyone have these or know anything about these?

lessergeneration
I went to my local saltwater store today to have her tell me that they have mini carpet anemones.

when i looked at them i silently laughed and turned to her to tell her they looked like rock anemones. her response was that no they were carpet anemones and they host the clownfish and crabs. they wre $59 and i was hesitant to even believe a word she said. anyone have these or know anything about these?

there are mini carpets, maxi minis, mini BTA's(i know different kind but still)...

Gr8_Outdoorsman

I looked at a really nice maxi mini today actually.... A very colorful guy to say the least! Seem to be very easy care.

From what I researched, clowns won't host them. There is even a thread out there with a pic of one eating a mandarin. I'll probably end up with one sooner or later....

Gr8_Outdoorsman

From what I gathered, them eating a fish is extremely rare. Usually only a fish that is near death or already died. They will move around the tank to find a spot they like, but the good thing is that they don't sting anything else as they move about.

Mini_snail2.jpg

Oh, and thats a astrea snail in the yellow anemone... so it will eat anything that lands on it...

My cleaner shrimp just pull away (they do get a little sticky)..

My perching Yellow Clown Goby does not go near them... thankfully

so would these be better in a fuge? or a nano tank that has just nothing in it? i really like them and was thinking of getting one for my 40b when its going good. i will be housing a ORA mandarin and a ORA pair of Picasso clowns. maybe a yashi goby as well

In a bigger tank like a 40b I think they are less likely to catch and eat your fish, but it is still certainly possible. Just use it as an excuse to set up another tank =)

I have maxi minis and flower nems in my mixed reef with fish and plenty of other inverts. My porcelain crab loves the flower nems, but wont touch the maxi. I would say they are ok, most of the animals in your tank will know to avoid them.

I have a few Maxi minis and mini minis One maxi nearly ate a hermit that fell in. but hse didn't say "OH nom crab!!!!" That's mostly what would happen with any other fish. they accidently stray across the nem and get Omnomnomnomed. I have mini minis which seem way sticker than my maxi's in my 10 gallon and my damsel has yet to run a foul with them. And I have a bunch. Shrimp, crabs and snails seem fine with them too in there.

Such stunning colours <3

so basically i may loose my mandarin to one of these things. im not willing to risk him or her when i get it. im not worried about the clowns as they will know better then any other fish in the tank

how will they know? they just look at it and go oh yah he will eat me let me go over here! lol

Same way you would cry when you saw santa or a massive mascot as a kid... some things just scare you

They do eat fish and inverts but only if the fish/invert stray's into a spot where it can sting and grab them. The tentacles are very tacky (sticky) and if a fish perches on it then its going to get eaten. Otherwise they are fine. The same goes for any other anemone. And they are considered carpet anemone's if I remember right so the girl was somewhat correct.

Archived