My AIO Pico Design

Funktastic Wint

Funktastic Wint

hi im actually a designer by trade and heres my concept. feel free to use it as long as u build me one too!

i designed this for style and function. a pico that u can place right on your desk and and its go time. no cords, no ugly hang on back filters. no powerheads.

the light fixture i have implemented could easily be taken out but is meant to accomodate a par bulb.

the water overflows out the back of the tank like a water fall and into the sump area. it passes through the filter floss area and in through an eggrate material (indicated in yellow) this area is for chaeto to grow. the side glass in the fuge area is clear to allow lighting such as led strips to provide enough light for the cheato to grow. and then the water gets to the pump area where it is diverted into the tank through the two outlets and giving varied flow.

the way the water overflows on the top will also be a natural surface skimmer.

this is about a 1' x 1' cube with a 3" tall sump area.

any questions? just ask

oh yeah and you can pull the tray sump out to work with the pumps n such.

the dimensions could easily be changed but the sump needs enough depth to allow a pump to fit in it.

thanks

pico1.png

pico2.png

pico3.png

pico4.png

pico5.png

Nice design! I really like the idea of a waterfall effect! What would be the cost to build it? How many gallons is it? What pumps could fit? Is all the filtration under the actual tank?

Sorry for the q's. Just looks very interesting.

what about when the power goes out and you have two holes in the bottom of your tank?

even if you get a check valve on there, power loss flow into the sump and evap will be a pita with only 3" to work with.

Mr. Microscope

Cool! Make it happen. I'd be concerned about being able to do maintenance on the under fuge. Seems like you might get some detritus build up in there. How do you plan to make it slide out while still being sealed? You should try to build a smaller prototype to see if you can make the concept work and iron out all the kinks. Then you'll have two tanks. Oh darn. ;)

Funktastic Wint
Nice design! I really like the idea of a waterfall effect! What would be the cost to build it? How many gallons is it? What pumps could fit? Is all the filtration under the actual tank?

Sorry for the q's. Just looks very interesting.

thanks! idk but glass is pretty cheap :D it would just take time to build it.

its about 7-9 gallons i believe. all the filtration in under the tank. YES

i had in mind the hydor pico pumps.

what about when the power goes out and you have two holes in the bottom of your tank?

even if you get a check valve on there, power loss flow into the sump and evap will be a pita with only 3" to work with.

ah yes i thought of this as well.

another version i have on my computer has the out flow coming from the light fixture piping above the tank water level. but with the diminished flow a powerhead would be needed which means cords... -_- doh

i could also take and move the outflow pipes to the top of the water line in the tank which would allow for minimal drainage

so if anyone has ideas. let me know

also there is only 1 hole that is being diverted into two pipes

Cool! Make it happen. I'd be concerned about being able to do maintenance on the under fuge. Seems like you might get some detritus build up in there. How do you plan to make it slide out while still being sealed? You should try to build a smaller prototype to see if you can make the concept work and iron out all the kinks. Then you'll have two tanks. Oh darn. ;)

the bottom isnt sealed to the top tank. the display area can be lifted completely up and off of the area that hides the sump tray

i was thinking that maybe id put some little wheels or ball bearings or something on it.

and i actually have 3 tanks in my room.

i need to sell my 29 biocube to make room! :D

Mr. Microscope
the bottom isnt sealed to the top tank. the display area can be lifted completely up and off of the area that hides the sump tray

12" cubes are about 7 gallons. At 8.4 lbs/gallon + sand and rocks, that's going to be one heavy lift. Maybe you could use a pipe and rod hinge to slide the tank over on a corner axis.

Funktastic Wint
12" cubes are about 7 gallons. At 8.4 lbs/gallon + sand and rocks, that's going to be one heavy lift. Maybe you could use a pipe and rod hinge to slide the tank over on a corner axis.

oh wait what am i saying? i meant for the greyish part to be sealed to the tank but the sump area to be 3/16" shorter so it can slide out.

im not sure what a pipe and rod hinge is either... sorry lol

Funktastic Wint
Will you build a prototype? If you did want to sell it what would be the price?

chances are good but i hafta free up some spacce first and sell my biocube

Archived