Innovative Marine Aquariums

What is this cool little guy?

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Is this a nudi branch? It came in on a orange zoa frag that I got yesterday. He's a cool looking little fellow, but I don't know if he will hurt anything...

5454255416_88482cf61e_z.jpg

5453643117_fb8a1da8e9_z.jpg

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Dangit.... I thought he added character to the tank.... Yeah, he came in on a zoa frag that I got last night.... Should I just keep an eye out and see if he causes any damage or get him out ASAP?

Looks like the zoanthid eating kind to me, and the fact that it came in on a zoanthid frag makes that even more likely.

I would get him out ASAP. You may also consider a dip for your zoanthids in case it laid eggs.

Zoanthid eating nudi. Bad. Dip your corals and make sure you remove any eggs. They would likely be present on the sides of your zoos and are white in color... Dips will not kill these - Must be removed with brushing or basting/blasting with powerhead.

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Well, I guess that I need to research freshwater dipping of these things. These were my first corals....

Are you certain that seeing one nudi would mean that it laid eggs? Can I just keep an eye on things before dipping them and so forth?

Big Al's Online
RIP little Nudi.....

I tried grabbing him, but he just mushed in my fingers and floated off in pieces.....

It is likely not dead. The release their tentacles as a defense mechanism when threatened; they will often curl into a ball and release tentacles when you try to catch them.

Keep your eyes open!

most times they eat whatever they look like.. chances are it eats leathers and star polyps. get any new corals lately?

in my case you got that backwards

they look like what they eat he just finished eating some radioactive dragoneyes

Builder Anthony

I have a post labeled unwanted creatures maybe you should look into it if your just going to flush it.Could be worth money to you.As for your slug he looks similar to a astipia eating slug which is often sold to people and are breedable.I cant tell for sure but it defintely loks like one.Heres a link in case you happen to find another one.And id like to point out other people might be intrested in a creature you dont want you should at least hold onto it for a short time and see.Not everyone in here has a degree in science and i wouldnt trust everyones opinion right off the back.Im not claiming to be a expert but heres the link to the study of all know numbibranches.

As for the eggs if any are in your tank they hacth and become plantonic larva which are considered had to raise i wouldnt woory about them unless your feeding plankton or rotifiers.

You should ask people to post a link to the information they are providing you so you know they are not just guessing since there are so many different types out there.Most are sponge feeders.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/message/19447

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Thanks for the link and I looked at your post. If I find anymore, I'll be more than happy to let you have them.

I clicked on your link above and the nudi branch that is on that page doesn't look anything like the one I posted the pic of. Was there another link you were referring to?

Builder Anthony

Yes thats just something i was looking at.I forget the exzact name of the creature your looking for but theres a section about aquarium numbibrances somewhere in there.In it has a brown numbibrach in it.Id take a look in the liverock tank where you bought you rock at and see if anymore are in there.I know the guy by me has a few in his liverock tank to keep astipia under control.JUst ask him if hes droped ny in there.

Do you just grab everything bare-handed in your tank? You should be more careful. Just because it's been identified as a Zoa eating Nudibranch, doesn't mean that it isn't some other specie that could possibly have stingers or could be poisonous, including to humans. You won't be so happy when you try and move around your rocks one day and get stung by something, and then watch as your hand turns the size of a grapefruit, and then possibly needs to be amputated.

Gr8_Outdoorsman
Do you just grab everything bare-handed in your tank? You should be more careful. Just because it's been identified as a Zoa eating Nudibranch, doesn't mean that it isn't some other specie that could possibly have stingers or could be poisonous, including to humans. You won't be so happy when you try and move around your rocks one day and get stung by something, and then watch as your hand turns the size of a grapefruit, and then possibly needs to be amputated.

Nothing like trying to strike fear, eh? Your post is very extreme.

I have 134 dives in the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf and that's not counting the trips to Caribbean. I've been stung, poked, cut and squirted on by all sorts of sea creatures. Removing a nudi branch smaller than the size of a pea off a piece of live rock in plain view is of zero concern to me. Thank you for your concern though.

Heres this is what im refering to though yours seems a little different.

Picture refence to astipia eating numbibranch

http://www.seaslugforum.net/showall/bergverraq

I agree that I don't think that they are the same, but they sure are neat looking creatures. Thank you for the link!

Builder Anthony

Ya ive been slowly sifting threw that link i never thought there were so many differnt kinds i think theres like a thousand.If i run across yours ill elet you know.It wanstthat far off i guess yours is just a little more darker.Im not sure if they change color with age.

Archived