Cultivated Reef

Best point and shoot for under 300

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

I'm looking for better camera and don't have 800 or so to drop on one. I'm more in the 200 price range but will up another 100 or so if the extra features are worth it. Tell me what your opinions are and why. A link to theproduct would be nice but not neccessarry. Thanks in advance for any info given and help a fellow reefer get the most out of his reef and young family.

gulfsurfer101

Bringing up my post from the abysmal darkness of page2. I know you guys with some amazing photo's here on NR got some goods for me. It might not be what you use but maybe a less costly model that will realatively get the job done, please share. I would hate to buy something I think I'm getting a deal on and find out I bought some outdated junk.

Canon PowerShot SD780IS. Small and compact, will fit in your pocket. It's 12mp and also does HD video. I've taken great photographs with this that would rival a $1200 DSLR. It's cost when I bought it was $239.00.

Here are two shots I made at Zion National Park and JPL in Pasedena, California with the Canon 780IS. I have never been disappointed in the picture quality. This camera can do a lot of "professional" techniques if you know how. I almost always shoot in "spot" metering mode so that I can have complete control over the exposure as opposed to leaving the meter on "Auto" which is a very accurate method in itself.

post-50859-1298441901_thumb.jpg

post-50859-1298441913_thumb.jpg

the exposure is all blown out on the mountain and underexposed on the river

The dynamic range of the scene itself is is quite large so if this was with a point and shoot as well with no post processing, it's pretty good. I can still make out details in the mountain so it's not too bad. Although my monitor at work isn't not exactly calibrated all that well.

It's not like you can get away with neutral gradient filters all that well with point and shoot's either ;P And it's not HDR'd

Archived