Cultivated Reef

Tiggs' Biocube 14 (updated pics on last page! 5-22-2012)

tiggs

Good call. I've have a few pieces for cheap too. Mikes a good guy go see him first and you want cool smaller fish an inverts than Gregs the guy to see. He's always into neat nano critters.

Perfect. Looks like I'll be seeing you as well haha. Greg usually has a good amount of nano fish on hand?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cycle is moving along quickly. Diatom bloom is starting along with some green film algae. In a surprising chain of events, one of my hitchhiker astreas has survived the cycle along with all hitchhiker corals. The button polyps have actually started spreading already.

SG - 1.025

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 20ppm

Alk - 300

pH - 7.8

Since my diatom bloom was picking up rather heavily today and my levels tested good, I figured it was time to slowly start adding my CUC. Rather than dump everything in at once, I've always preferred to add members slowly to ensure I eventually get the perfect mix without anyone starving. This method has also kept hermits from attacking snails.

1 - Astrea Snail

1 - Turbo Snail

2 - Dwarf Zebra Hermits

I plan on adding a few of the smaller sand-sifting snails, but I want to wait a couple of weeks and let these guys get their fill of the current bloom. This is by far the fastest I've ever had a tank cycle, but I guess using live rock from a 16 year established reef helps speeds things along :) My tank is full of pods, asterina stars, micro brittle stars, featherdusters, and a few very small bristle worms. I'll post pics tomorrow when the lights are on.

Looking good. I was gonna ask about that rock. You probably had almost no cycle with it being so established. Still good to take it slow.

If it where me I'd go ahead and add a couple mor snails next week and maybe another hermit or two. What's your final stocking plans? Is steve telling you to add a fish already?

Steve is a good guy. I think as far as nanos go though take the advice given on this site and not as much from him. He means well but I don't think he's up to date on some more modern tank husbandry. I was talking to him when I first got into this hobby and he was telling me things like. I could have up to six fish in a biocube 14. Water changes aren't that important and I'd only have to do one a month or every other month. The typed of fish he sometimes recommends in a nano are a little off as well. His livestock is always healthy and his prices are very reasonable. Just do your own research before you buy anything.

Looking good. I was gonna ask about that rock. You probably had almost no cycle with it being so established. Still good to take it slow.

If it where me I'd go ahead and add a couple mor snails next week and maybe another hermit or two. What's your final stocking plans? Is steve telling you to add a fish already?

Steve is a good guy. I think as far as nanos go though take the advice given on this site and not as much from him. He means well but I don't think he's up to date on some more modern tank husbandry. I was talking to him when I first got into this hobby and he was telling me things like. I could have up to six fish in a biocube 14. Water changes aren't that important and I'd only have to do one a month or every other month. The typed of fish he sometimes recommends in a nano are a little off as well. His livestock is always healthy and his prices are very reasonable. Just do your own research before you buy anything.

Yeah. He also told me I could put around 6 fish in a Biocube 14. He means well and I enjoy stopping by his store, but I def take all of his advice with a grain of sand. Since all of my previous experience comes from larger systems, I still have much to learn about the nano side of the hobby and am realizing just how completely different the two really are. My final stocking plan is one of the following scenarios..

1. tail spot blenny and royal gramma

2. pair of s'more clowns and clown goby

3. 6 line wrasse and yasha goby

I'm still a bit undecided though. As for CUC, I want to add a few smaller snails next week and probably 1-2 more dwarf hermits. I plan on keeping a system full of softies, LPS, and zoa's. I'm also going to supplement my lighting with a stunner LED strip and possibly add some egg crate at the very top and grow out some SPS frags, if I can get enough light penetration. If you have any suggestions or catch me doing anything incorrectly, PLEASE let me know. As I've said, I'm a very experienced reefer, but a complete newbie to keeping a nano :)

Sounds like your doing yor homework. I like going to BS with steve too. He's a good guy. If your looking into LEDs check out boost they have par 30 for 70$ I think that it would be a good choice as far as lighting. All you would have to do is mount or hang a light bulb socket and screw inthe par 30 and your good to go. I went rimless on my biocube when I had my viper on it. At the moment I have the stock hood back on. I'm setting it up as a macro tank. This is what it looked like with the rim off.

50c6146b.jpg

I like your stocking ideas. I'd go with option 2 as long as your staying away from sps. Ycg can nip them to death.

Well, I decided to post some new pics.

Just to give you an idea of the life on my rock, check out how many asterina stars are on this one section alone!

post-64364-1298677297_thumb.jpg

inTank media rack with filter floss / chaeto with underwater LED strip / chemi pure elite

post-64364-1298677276_thumb.jpg

post-64364-1298677311_thumb.jpg

post-64364-1298677327_thumb.jpg

post-64364-1298677338_thumb.jpg

post-64364-1298677350_thumb.jpg

post-64364-1298677385_thumb.jpg

My lovely diatom bloom haha

post-64364-1298677396_thumb.jpg

View from the see-through wall in the back of my Biocube. Underwater LED light on the chaeto on reverse lighting schedule. Believe it or not, the brightness you're seeing is only the back of the strip. The front is probably 3x as bright and is facing the majority of the chaeto.

post-64364-1298682220_thumb.jpg

Hi Tiggs! You're BC14 is a day older than mine, so I'm going to be following along. :)

I'm looking for an underwater LED light for when I start growing chaeto in my tank. Where did you get yours?

Hi Tiggs! You're BC14 is a day older than mine, so I'm going to be following along. :)

I'm looking for an underwater LED light for when I start growing chaeto in my tank. Where did you get yours?

Hey, how's it going? You can get the underwater LED here..

http://www00.mailcar.net/catalog/index.php...de=s&schm=1

I've only and mine for a couple of days, but it seems like a GREAT product. It's also only $10 for the single tube with 4 LED's on it. You want to make sure you get the white color though, since it's 5600K, which is a good spectrum to grow chaeto in. You can probably fit 2 of the 4-inch tubes in the inTank media rack, but I'm going to see how 1 does before I add another.

Well, my cycle is finally complete and diatoms are out in full force :)

SG - 1.025

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 0ppm

Alk - 300

pH - 8.0

I'm going to be adding a Ecoxtic stunner LED strip, 2 more dwarf zebra hermits, and a few small sand-sifting snails next week. Then the following week, my first fish. I'll probably go with a clown goby or a tail spot blenny. Then wait a few weeks and add my lovely S'more clown pair from Hyperboy :)

Also, just did a 20% water change.

That would be awesome. How does Wednesday sound? I'll def take the tailspot and possibly some corals as well. I just want to be careful and not go too quickly. Also, how do you feel about a tailspot with a pair of s'more clowns?

Are you talking next weds or this week?

I think the three mite be a little much unless you really keep up with water changes. The blennie is about three inches but skinny. The two clowns get fairly large and fat. They're also kinda slobs. But I think it can be done for sure. Maybe not if you trying to keep sps but with softies and lps I don't see why not.

This is him. He's in great shape I've had for a few months and I just get bored sometimes. The challenge will be to catch him but it's doable. Just let me know when your coming by I'll catch him and put in my biocube a couple days before you plan on stopping by.

c384333b.jpg

Are you talking next weds or this week?

I think the three mite be a little much unless you really keep up with water changes. The blennie is about three inches but skinny. The two clowns get fairly large and fat. They're also kinda slobs. But I think it can be done for sure. Maybe not if you trying to keep sps but with softies and lps I don't see why not.

This is him. He's in great shape I've had for a few months and I just get bored sometimes. The challenge will be to catch him but it's doable. Just let me know when your coming by I'll catch him and put in my biocube a couple days before you plan on stopping by.

c384333b.jpg

He looks great - excellent coloration. I'll take him for sure. How does this Wednesday (the 2nd) sound? I guess I'll have to make a game time decision on the clowns. I'm pretty anal about my water quality (skim 24/7, UV sterilizer coming in this week, 15% water changes weekly, filter floss changed every other day), so I'm hoping that will do the trick :)

What kinda skimmer you running? If it's the biocube one water changes will do 1000x more than it will. I had no luck at all with it.

This weds will work I'll be around after like 5:30 pm I'll send you my number give me a buzz. Check your PM.

What kinda skimmer you running? If it's the biocube one water changes will do 1000x more than it will. I had no luck at all with it.

This weds will work I'll be around after like 5:30 pm I'll send you my number give me a buzz. Check your PM.

Sounds good. Believe it or not, I actually got he BC skimmer working quite nicely - for what it is anyway lol. I'm wet skimming and pulling about a cup of cloudy liquid daily and this is before I have any fish in there causing waste. I think the trick is to raise it above the water level as high as you can so the lid can barely close. I'll have a better test once the real livestock is in though. After 5:30pm works for me. I work from home, so I'm pretty much always around.

Looking good. How's the blenie liking his new home?

He's loving it. All he does is eat and crap all day! lol I'm feeding him very lightly since he's been tearing up the final traces of my diatom bloom.

Archived