Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lee's 20 Gallon College tank.

Lee Van Reef

New FTS 6/1/2011

IMAG0067.jpg

FTS 3/29/11:

tanknew2.jpg

Since august I've had a small 10 gallon aquarium setup as a fwolr system so I could try my hands at salt. After a tank crash, a rehoming (from the orignal 14 gallon hex to a ten gallon) and another rehoming from a cracked 10 gallon to a nice new one, Here is where I'm at.

Equipment:

Aquaclear 70

Heater (cant remember wattage or brand)

Ghetto rigged powerhead from filter pump

Deep Blue 2x24 watt high output T-5 fixture with moonlights.

Current livestock:

Blue yellowtail damsel -Had this guy from the start and although hes a trooper, he harasses any other fish in there to death.

Coral:

1 purple florida ric

Inverts:

1 rock flower anemone

4 blue legged hermits

some snails

FTS:

DSCN3002.jpg

DSCN2999.jpg

DSCN2997.jpg

Waters a bit low because apparently the ten gallon I got is a bit bigger than the last one. The nem is also pretty pissed off because I had to rip him off his other rock when I transfered everything.

Tell me what you guys think!

Update:

Rock nem finally perked up a bit and is now expanded pretty big when the lights are on. On top of that my dad got me a condy nem (without my knowledge) and it found a spot. I'm doubtful my tank can handle it due to lighting requirements.

Also, got a k nano in its way to replace that ghetto powerhead.

The only real issue I'm having is that my duncan is closed up. When i first brought it I temp acclimated and placed it. IT opened almost immediately. Now though, It doesn't open up and when it does it is only half open. Can anyone chime in as to whats going on there? My params are all in order with about 3ppm trates ( need to do a water change tomorrow)

Update:

Rock nem finally perked up a bit and is now expanded pretty big when the lights are on. On top of that my dad got me a condy nem (without my knowledge) and it found a spot. I'm doubtful my tank can handle it due to lighting requirements.

Also, got a k nano in its way to replace that ghetto powerhead.

The only real issue I'm having is that my duncan is closed up. When i first brought it I temp acclimated and placed it. IT opened almost immediately. Now though, It doesn't open up and when it does it is only half open. Can anyone chime in as to whats going on there? My params are all in order with about 3ppm trates ( need to do a water change tomorrow)

duncans are really damn moody..i notice if i move it one day, it could stay closed or bunched up all day, sometimes two days(have the branching and the nonbranching kind)..all you can do is make sure your params are in order and make sure he's getting enough light, though they don't need super high light. just watch out for brown jelly, a part from that you should be fine

everything seems to be in order for you from what you are telling us. Your lights should be fine and I could be wrong, but I think those duncans likes Moderate current flow.

The purple Florida Ric was my very first coral I'd started out with. # months ago it finally split on me after having it for almost 3yrs.

Thanks for the tips guys.

The duncan finally opened up when I moved him down a bit (practically the sand). He is look pretty good so far!

The condy also seems to be doing well; its getting a fleshier color in its tentacles rather than the bleach white it had in most of them before. I tried spot feeding it frozen brine shrimp but it ignored it so I'm guessing it's too big? I'll try and get some shrimp from the grocery store and cut them up and see if he will take them.

Other than that I think I'm doing pretty well, any recommendations for next coral purchase? :D

Thanks!

Looks like the condy took a huge turn for the worse. I fed him last night and it puffed up nicely. This morning I wake up and see him shriveled and deflated. I come home from school and I cant find him anywhere. After scouring and destroying my aquascape, I find him under a rock, shriveled and dead :(

I have no idea what happened there since everything else in the tank is doing so well.

Oh well, live and learn.

Lee Van Reef

Rocks have taken a purple hue to them o.O. They only have been introduced to one small piece of LR with coralline so I'm concerned its the beginnings of a monstrous cyano problem. I have only used ro/di water for top offs and lfs water for water changes. My parameters are all in check so what gives?

Also, when i try to siphon it off, it doesn't come off one bit which confuses me as the last time i had the tank up, the cyano would just siphon off.

Anyone have any ideas?

Lee Van Reef

Yep it was cyano. I was able to siphon most of it off with my last WC. Other than that, everything is running nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
Lee Van Reef

95% of the cyano is gone. Cleaning out the bit of rubble I had in the filter did the trick. Added two pep shrimps as well.

I'm also picking up a yellow watchman goby and a tiger pistol shrimp from the LFS on tuesday to add. I know the pistol will probably eat the pep shrimps, but I couldn't pass up the little pair.

Do you guys think I might have a problem with the aggressive damsel bugging them? They dwell in different areas of the water column so I didn't think so.

• 2 weeks later...
redkneecoral

I think you'll like having your watchman goby. I like mine, he sure does have a personality.

Lee Van Reef

New shots of the tank. Got some macros in the tank. I bought the grape and feather caulerpa and In the handfull I got a nice wad of cheato (now tucked away behind the rock) and some seagrass (currently doing terribly in the right hand corner).

I got what seems to be a small diatom bloom and more cyano after introducing the algae, but ive never had my Duncan extend so far.

Let me know what ya'll think.

tanknew1.jpg

tanknew2.jpg

• 1 month later...
Lee Van Reef

So i added another rock flower nem and the caulerpa is running the tank over. Fun stuff lol

• 4 weeks later...
Lee Van Reef

Eh. Decided to take some pics. This tank has been seeing some serious neglect lately. Oh well.

FTS:

IMAG0067.jpg

some pom pom xenia a local gave me for free:

IMAG0071.jpg

Rock flower nem that i revived from almost fully bleached:

IMAG0075.jpg

My head of duncan, alot greener than pictured. It is growing 5 new heads.

[iIMAG0076.jpg

Archived