Top Shelf Aquatics

Filling tank for the first time.

Tailz

I have a 29 gallon aquarium I just bought. Thats going to be a reef tank of course! I have a sump hooked up and a nano korella (spelled right?) powerhead. Im a little confused as to how to fill this thing up the first time? Do I need to mix the salt in a 5 gallon bucket and wait 24 hours? That'll take forever @_@ Or can I fill the bucket mix the salt then pour in? Or should I fill the tank with freshawater then do the salt?

Ps: The only thing in the tank might be sand. Not live.

I have a 29 gallon aquarium I just bought. Thats going to be a reef tank of course! I have a sump hooked up and a nano korella (spelled right?) powerhead. Im a little confused as to how to fill this thing up the first time? Do I need to mix the salt in a 5 gallon bucket and wait 24 hours? That'll take forever @_@ Or can I fill the bucket mix the salt then pour in? Or should I fill the tank with freshawater then do the salt?

Ps: The only thing in the tank might be sand. Not live.

You can mix the saltwater in the tank the first time. Remember to have a heater and powerhead in the tank while mixing. I wouldn't put the sand in the tank while mixing the water though, the tank should be empty. Once you are reach your first water change, you can mix the saltwater in a bucket.

theheaddon910

Don't run your sump, mix the salt in the main tank and then mix in the sump. Once it settles and the sand you add settle than you can turn it on.

If there is sand in it, I'd mix it outside the tank. There is no need to wait a day, or even be exact about SG. I'd just mix it a bit strong and dilute it back down to 1.025 when you are done. Once the mix is dissolved, you can add it to your tank.

After you have live rock and livestock, you can mix/aerate it longer.

Archived