Coral Vue Hydros

Clownfish Diet

kriskristofferzen

kriskristofferzen

I think there is a similar post I might have seen in the past week, but cant remember.

I got two little clowns, I tried feeding them frozen brine shrimp for two days. They dont really pay attention to it. Then today I tried Omega one freeze dried bine shrimp and there behavior changed, moving around more in the tank, much more active, I cant really see them eating larger pieces so I am guessing they are chasing little tiny pieces I cant see.

Is this enough for the clowns? I have read people also try flakes that are crushed up, if so, what type do you use?

Any other suggestions?

The clowns are in a 10 gallon quarantine tank right now, they had about a month of quarantine at the distributor then went to the pet store and now will be in my little quarantine for about a month or more while my rock cycles in my display.

Also could anyone reccomend any good clownfish websites? or references for their typical behaviors? .

Thanks!

Brine shrimp isn't enough. Its like popcorn, you can get full, but there is no nutritional value. Maybe try chopped mysis or cyclopese. If you can order online, Rods food is good too. How big are the clowns? Most clowns that are old enough to be shipped are usually big enough to eat anything.

kriskristofferzen
Brine shrimp isn't enough. Its like popcorn, you can get full, but there is no nutritional value. Maybe try chopped mysis or cyclopese. If you can order online, Rods food is good too. How big are the clowns? Most clowns that are old enough to be shipped are usually big enough to eat anything.

How about this: freeze dried msysis

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753189

or the other cyclop eeze

http://www.cyclop-eeze.com/

I am guessing mix them up every few days? Any other flakes or anything or would these latter two with some of the brine shrimp mixed in suffice?

Thanks!

brine shrimp can be a big part of there diet so long as it's enriched and you mix in some other types as well. mysis is my favorite. i even hack a (piece of) silverside in to minute little chunks sometimes and let them have at that.

before a fish purchase you should be asking the seller what they feed the fish, go back and ask. A flake infused with garlic may get them biting and cyclopeeze is definitely a good one. You could selco your brine which will change them from "popcorn" to steak, mash potatoes, gravy, and the rest.

at 8am i feed formula 2 pellets, 12 pm rods food origional. 6pm (sometimes) spectrum pellets, and 10pm hiakari marine s. during the summer ill make homemade food and use that instead of rods.

for my very small clowns (onyx and darwins) they eat crumbled marine s, spectrum grow, or the little bits of rods that sticks to the spoon. they eat the same times as the others.

never tried soaking anything in zoe, the rods food comes mixed with selcon and the pellets i use have kelp and/or spirulina so i get the color enhancing benefits. in the future i plan on using cyclopeeze.

kriskristofferzen
at 8am i feed formula 2 pellets, 12 pm rods food origional. 6pm (sometimes) spectrum pellets, and 10pm hiakari marine s. during the summer ill make homemade food and use that instead of rods.

for my very small clowns (onyx and darwins) they eat crumbled marine s, spectrum grow, or the little bits of rods that sticks to the spoon. they eat the same times as the others.

never tried soaking anything in zoe, the rods food comes mixed with selcon and the pellets i use have kelp and/or spirulina so i get the color enhancing benefits. in the future i plan on using cyclopeeze.

ok, so today i picked up some omega one flakes and crushed them, they seemed to go after it a little bit. Tomorrow i am picking up the cyclop eeze stuff and will report back what i find, at some point i am going to hatch some brine shrimp as well and see how they like it. thanks for the feedback everybody.

Archived