Jump to content

Stung by SPS - should I be worried?


Beijo Gaem

Recommended Posts

I inadvertently touched one of the 'branches' of my brown SPS with the top of my hand... A few seconds after I took my hand out of the tank, I felt a little 'stinging' sensation. I looked down and saw this:

 

spssting.jpg

 

It doesn't feel like excruciating pain, but I still feel it stinging a little - should I be worried?

Link to comment

You should be fine.

 

If it swells up a lot or you feel sick then maybe be worried.

 

If you are really worried you could always get someone to pee on your hand. :haha:

Link to comment

wow...never knew sps could sting. Never got sting by one. Are you sure there was not a bristle worm there? can you see something inside your skin with a magnifying glass?

 

I would go check with a doctor if it swell any more than this as bacterias are not a good mix with hands. I once got bitten by a cat on my hand and almost lost the hand. I had to be on intraveinous antibiotics for 3 weeks straight before the swelling went away. I don't want to scare you but yes you should probably watch this very closely.

 

A good way to clean such wound is to let your hand dip in warm water with a few drops of javel water (bleach) and leave it in for an hour. If that does not help I would go see a doctor.

 

I inadvertently touched one of the 'branches' of my brown SPS with the top of my hand... A few seconds after I took my hand out of the tank, I felt a little 'stinging' sensation. I looked down and saw this:

 

spssting.jpg

 

It doesn't feel like excruciating pain, but I still feel it stinging a little - should I be worried?

Link to comment

Well at least this time I'll have a good reason to spray myself.

 

wow...never knew sps could sting. Never got sting by one. Are you sure there was not a bristle worm there? can you see something inside your skin with a magnifying glass?

 

I would go check with a doctor if it swell any more than this as bacterias are not a good mix with hands. I once got bitten by a cat on my hand and almost lost the hand. I had to be on intraveinous antibiotics for 3 weeks straight before the swelling went away. I don't want to scare you but yes you should probably watch this very closely.

 

A good way to clean such wound is to let your hand dip in warm water with a few drops of javel water (bleach) and leave it in for an hour. If that does not help I would go see a doctor.

 

I really don't think it's a bristle worm. I grazed the coral a couple of times, but I can't say I'm 100% sure. It's a little red right now. When I look real close I don't see anything in my hand, but when I run my finger over it I feel a small "lump" over the area that touched it. You're freaking me out right now.

Link to comment

Seriously don't stress it.

 

I am a diver and have been stung by many sea creatures. Maybe google what stung you and find out but most things will cause little more then irritation. If your are allergic it can be more serious but I would just keep an eye on it and keep it clean and it will probably calm down rather quick.

Link to comment

I get stings all the time and sometimes I have open cuts on my hand as well. I havn't ever had any serious problems besides dry hands (in the winter only) and the salt water doesn't really help.

Link to comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone, it's still a little red but the swelling has gone. I didn't do anything other than run it under warm and then cold water. I've actually touched the acro but accident before but this was the first time it stung me. Nothing major - but thanks again for your responses!

 

 

Cheers!

Link to comment

Wow.. I play with my SPS all the time! I take them out, I frag them, I glue them, all with bare hands and nothing ever happens! It must be somthing else, or maybe you are allergic to sps! No more sps for you!

Link to comment

I have an acro crab that hosts it, but he usually stays close to the base - maybe he's the culprit? I grazed one of the higher 'branches' so it's hard for me to believe that he did it. I've handled SPS before (without gloves) and have never had this type of reaction. Which is why I was a bit concerned...

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...