Coral Vue Hydros

New to Saltwater (pics)

devonpayne24

Thanks!

Feel free to throw in some advice on "easy'ish corals" that would work/look good in my tank and post some pics of yours!!!

The more pics the better !!!

where are you located?

easy stuff.. zoas, most LPS, almost any polpy/mushroom..

honestly almost everything is easy if you have the right lighting and you keep up on water changes.

choose your fish wisely. some get territorial and you want to add them last. Tomato clowns are a prime example of that.

From Missouri, not to many salt water guys from around here,, closest is STL for me, and thats about an hour away...

I plan on your basic clowns, nothing to crazy... I really like coral and my wife really likes clowns...So prolly some frogspawn or something like that - a good combo

Any other combos, feel free to add

Im running the regular Biocube 29 lighting, so nothing too fancy - but I take care of my tank

one of the cool things about these forums is buying corals/frags from other members.. makes it fun an can be alot cheaper to get new stuff that way :)

a pair of percs are always good :)

I was a close up pic of Benny (Lawmower Blenny), hes about 2 1/2 inches or so, almost 3 ! He has a lot of personality!

one of the cool things about these forums is buying corals/frags from other members.. makes it fun an can be alot cheaper to get new stuff that way :)

a pair of percs are always good :)

Yeah thats something that I havnt done yet... I dont know, I like spending a lot of time at the fish stores staring at corals - debating on what to get or not.. But ya never know I guess :)

What would be the best bet for the "Frogspawn" style of Coral... Is my best bet just going with Frogspawn?

I like hammer coral, Frogspawn, elegence coral, and so on... Something that isnt too much of a pain that my future clown would love !!!

Send pics if you have them :)

As other people have said, I love the Zoa Colony that you have! Pretty decent sized too! I can't wait to get my own tank later and get it chock full of them. I think they're the most interesting coral to me.

they are all the same care with frogspawn and hammer and torch coral.

elegance is much harder to keep generally.

Sounds good, thanks for the advice... I just hope that which ever one I decide to go with will do alright with my stock BC29 lights... I might have to upgrade eventually :mellow:

As other people have said, I love the Zoa Colony that you have! Pretty decent sized too! I can't wait to get my own tank later and get it chock full of them. I think they're the most interesting coral to me.

Yeah, they are pretty awesome, and so easy to keep!!! They look really cool at night when they glow!

I still love the lavender mushrooms, they get bigger every day and look neat in the current.. They also look cool at night !

Well I adopted some new peices and fish for my tank tonight.. I bought two clowns that are dripping right now, and some more coral.

I went ahead and purchased a premium blue ricordea yuma and a peice of small Liverock with a bunch of awesome blue Xenia on it. It also came with some mushrooms and and yellow polyps on it.. It was a steal.. I wil put some pics of them up tomorrow - !!!

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Congrats on the clowns and coral! I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. This stuff is addicting as heck!

I look forward to following your tank now that you have a thread going!

Congrats on the clowns and coral! I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. This stuff is addicting as heck!

I look forward to following your tank now that you have a thread going!

Thanks, My wife is in staring at them - thinking about names lol

I just hope that I can keep somewhat "patient" , But I think ill be fine because im getting to love coral more than anything, and since that isnt that big of a bioload, I can add more often.

Im thinking about getting some hammer coral or frogspawn in the next couple of weeks... I really want something for the clowns.

I was also thinking about my fish selection tonight, compared to having corals.. I think im going to keep my fish pretty simple. I have my lawmower blenny and now my two clowns. And I think I will get a Cardinal maybe one more after that.. I just dont know what that one will be... Not sure, but either way the coral are addicting and my fish that I have now are pretty awesome !!!

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Haha.... Naming the critters has been the fun part.

My clown is Shrimpbait. My banded coral shrimp is Mr. Whiskers. My Sally Lightfoot crab is Tweaker.

You have to post the names once they are decided!

I've really been eyeballing the Hammer Corals and Frogspawn also. I really like the movement that they bring to the tank and the possibility of a clown hosting them is nice as well. If your LFS has any, check out the mini and the maxi mini carpet anenome. From what I've researched, our stock lighting should support them well and they are very low maintenance. There was a bright pink one with fluorescent green at the LFS I went to today.

As for the fish, I'm content holding off a while now that I'm having fun with the corals. I'm going to check on a black/white ocellaris next week to add to the one I just got. I know it's iffy in our tanks, but I really like the Coral Beauties. They have amazing colors. I'm going to do some more digging before I decide if I'll add one of those guys.

Haha.... Naming the critters has been the fun part.

My clown is Shrimpbait. My banded coral shrimp is Mr. Whiskers. My Sally Lightfoot crab is Tweaker.

You have to post the names once they are decided!

I've really been eyeballing the Hammer Corals and Frogspawn also. I really like the movement that they bring to the tank and the possibility of a clown hosting them is nice as well. If your LFS has any, check out the mini and the maxi mini carpet anenome. From what I've researched, our stock lighting should support them well and they are very low maintenance. There was a bright pink one with fluorescent green at the LFS I went to today.

As for the fish, I'm content holding off a while now that I'm having fun with the corals. I'm going to check on a black/white ocellaris next week to add to the one I just got. I know it's iffy in our tanks, but I really like the Coral Beauties. They have amazing colors. I'm going to do some more digging before I decide if I'll add one of those guys.

Yeah, I will let you know any updates for sure.. I was looking at the mini and maxi carpets and from what I read, clowns will not use them as hosts. But I dunno, I just like the flow of those type corals... So we'll see - hammer and frogspawn is where its at :)

Yeah, im done getting fish for at least a month or more, the coral shopping is keeping me busy !

005.jpg

My new clowns

006.jpg

My new Xenia, yellow polyp, and yuma.. You can see the Ricordia just above the xenia on the left side

002.jpg

8 inch Bristle Worm, he went was taken out and, well lets just say he's gone ! He was just there when I woke up this morning

These are my updated pics as of 2-18... The Clowns devoured their shrimp during their first feeding, so that makes me happy! They are hanging around my Magnet quite a bit, so we'll see what happens there. I hope they find something they like towards the middle of the tank (I want my Frogspawn :D ).. Everything is going well though, and I will be doing a 2 gallon water change tonight..

I am looking forward to me Blue Xenia spreading, along with the 2 heads of ricordia (which glows blue and orange) Hopefully in the next month they will double - then I can "manage them" on a better basis.!...

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Man, you found some great pieces! I really like the color of your clowns! They look awesome and it's great that they are eating well. Unfortunately, my little guy still hasn't eaten anything of real substance since I've gotten him. I really don't think that he's going to make it. The LFS told me that he was tank raised and was eating before I got him, but I don't believe them. I've tried everything with him. Oh well, I'll keep trying and if he makes it, he makes it.

I've been having problems with my bulldozer snails knocking over my corals at night. I guess it is time that I go get some super glue gel and get to work.

TheNorthernLight

That lawnmower Blenny needs A LOT more algae in the tank to survive. I'm not sure he'll do well in the long run in a 29g.. unless you've got a hair algae problem.

See if you can get him to eat other food.. if so your lucky and feed him often.

Looks good otherwise!

Cheers,

Spyrule.

That lawnmower Blenny needs A LOT more algae in the tank to survive. I'm not sure he'll do well in the long run in a 29g.. unless you've got a hair algae problem.

See if you can get him to eat other food.. if so your lucky and feed him often.

Looks good otherwise!

Cheers,

Spyrule.

Yeah, I hope he does fine.. everyone that ive spoke with about him says that he should be, but we'll see.. Im thinking about getting a veggie clip and keeping sushi wrap in it.. He is always eating, so we'll see if the tank can keep up with him... Trust me, if he starts to look rough, he'll be finding a new home...Hes about 3 weeks old in my tank right now..

Man, you found some great pieces! I really like the color of your clowns! They look awesome and it's great that they are eating well. Unfortunately, my little guy still hasn't eaten anything of real substance since I've gotten him. I really don't think that he's going to make it. The LFS told me that he was tank raised and was eating before I got him, but I don't believe them. I've tried everything with him. Oh well, I'll keep trying and if he makes it, he makes it.

I've been having problems with my bulldozer snails knocking over my corals at night. I guess it is time that I go get some super glue gel and get to work.

Yeah, mine were tank raised, and they are doing great !!! I would watch home, if he doesnt do well then that is unfortunate!!!

Also, an update on my tank, after around 160 bucks last night, I got 4 new peices !! One of which is my new BRANCHED FROGSPAWN !!! It has four heads on it and it is bea-u-tiful !!! I also, got some awesome star polyps - although they were fragged onto a regular rock instead of live rubble :( but its okay caus its almost completely covered!!

And my other two peices are mushrooms and that im trying to figure out the names of right now.. They were both sold to me as "single micro frags" and each of them had 4 muchroom looking thinkgs on them !! I love my LFS

I also went and got some Super glue gel today and was pasting stuff to my LR, so good luck with yours!!!

Now im paranoid about the health of all my corals and watch them hourly haha I guess thats normal

Ill have pics up soon enough!!!

Archived